z

Young Writers Society

the bad guy

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00 am
JustDance says...

Before you read this piece, I'd been like to say it's been 14 years since my parents separated. I'm not looking for sympathy, or a pat on the back. It's been awhile since I've written, and so my writing is most definitely rusty. However, I finally got around to writing something, whether it's good or bad, I'm happy I was able to finally pour out words I had been meaning to get off my chest for the longest time.

Entirely based on my own opinion, I feel that humans were meant to be created to grow up, learn to love, and then die. We were supposed to be happy, and sometimes sad. We were supposed to be stuck-up, and sometimes jealous. We were supposed to fall in love, and sometimes fight with whom we love the most, but in the end it was supposed to work out perfect. Kind of like those fairy-tales that I so vividly remember reading as a child. I don’t know what went wrong with my parents. They were happy, they were sad, they were stuck-up, they were jealous, they fell in love, and they fought – a lot. But one thing was missing. They never got their perfect, fairy-tale ending.
It’s like a page was missing from my parents’ fairy-tale –like someone ripped out the best part of the fairy-tale, the happy ending. I don’t know where I fit into the puzzle. I don’t know if I’m the protagonist or the antagonist. When you’re parents separate, they always feel the need to repeatedly say the same four words – it’s not your fault. As much as I’d like to believe in those four words, I can’t. They’re living a lie by saying that to themselves, and now they’re trying to make my live with that lie too.
I guess there was a flaw in my parents’ fairy-tale – me.
Looking back, I’ve realized a few things. Life doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to. You’ll grow up, you may fall in love, and you will die. But somewhere along the line, you’ll fall a lot. You’ll make mistakes, fall out of love, and find it immensely difficult to be happy.
Most original “fairy”-tales were made to be gruesome, depressing, and have an ending that was realistic. Throughout the years, authors sugar-coated them without a second though, so that kids like me would spend years of their life believing a lie.
I was that person who ripped out the page in my parents’ fairy-tales. I think we should give the bad-guy in these fairy-tales a break. Who knows, maybe they’re like me, born to destroy. Sometimes we can’t help it.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Wow, I felt like this was really personal, yet you definitely had a mature outlook on it too. Which is hard to do in situations like these. I definitely know how you feel, as my parents have been together only because of us kids despite the fact that being together makes them miserable, and I definitely start feeling like the bad guy at times. I feel like there's a lot you're saying here, maybe without even realizing it. My one correction is that there are a couple typos here and there.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am
Chelsea4827 says...

Wow, this was really beautiful and very powerful. It was well written and I actually felt a tear come to my eye! You showed true emotion in this and I really enjoyed. Sorry I didn’t help at all but keep writing!
Chels
In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't. -- Blaise Pascal

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:14 pm
zinger1912 says...

I know excatly what you mean, to feel like its your fault that your parents seprated and the amount of pain you bare. But, hey, I guess we'll get over it someday. Very nice piece of work!

'they’re trying to make my live with that lie too.' I dont know if you meant 'me live' or my life'

Keep on writing!
I'm not inclined to resign to maturity.
If it's alright, then you're all wrong.
But why bounce around to the same damn song?
I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth.
I know, you know, they just don't have any proof.
Your worst inhibition's gonna psych you out in the end.

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson