z

Young Writers Society

Why Lie? I Need Beer

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 am
TylynRae says...

This is for my Comp Class. Its a memoir, as I said above, and I would really appreciate critique on it. We were supposed to right a changing point in our lives and mine was when this happened to me. Sooo, help is appreciated. Thanks =]

The board walk was filled with people. Some carried bags filled with groceries they’d bought from Pike’s Place Market. Others held small knick knacks that they’d found in a tourist trap.
The smell of fresh fish and salt water wafted up to us in a gentle mist. Voices met our ears in a gentle hum making the air feel thick and static filled around us.
And in the midst of it all there stood a man. He blended into the low concrete wall that crouched before him. A dog with long ratty ears sat loyally by his side.
While the rest of my group continued walking, I stood still. He couldn’t see me staring at him from where I hid behind the crowd. I imagined a subway passing in between us, blocking him from view for quick bursts of time only to reveal him again instances later. It was like flipping through a pamphlet of photos, like watching still life photographs bleed together.
This hadn’t been our first stop. The ride in had been miserable. We’d sat in the terminal for hours waiting for the attendants to call our flight to the gates. Dozens of feet shuffled down the tunnel that so much reminded me of a slaughter house cattle ramp back home. The wheels hadn’t even begun to turn and I already felt sick.
The fresh Seattle air greeted me cooly as I exited the airport with my best friend, her brother and his obnoxiously loud friend, and her parents.
We drove from location to location visiting different relatives and getting stuck in numerous tourist traps that could have easily drained us of all of our money if we had the time to let it.
We reached the Oregon coast after several hours of driving. Sand, though the air was cold, was warm as my ankles were surrounded by the millions of tiny grains.
Cool sea air licked at my nose, beckoning me to the water.
Beth danced her way to the waters’ edge, dipped her finger in the water, stuck it in her mouth. I grimaced in response even as I followed her instruction to do the same.
I winced, opening my mouth and laughing at how bitter something so beautiful could feel on my tongue.
And then there were the mountains. We crawled slowly around the bends and turns. Our ears popped and my heart raced. I drummed my fingers on my jeans, trying to ignore that fact that we were now up high enough that most vegetation ceased to grow. Only the Indian Paintbrush remained.
The tiny red and orange flowers perched quietly in their haven of grass. Signs littered the area, each of them reminding visitors of the hundreds of dollars that could quite easily leave their pockets if they so much as stepped on the grass.
My blood was warm. My head spun as I tried to ground myself. Beth twirled happily beside me, kicking up wisps of dust that curled around her feet. Pebbles tumbled to their doom down the side of the cliff. I stepped backward, leaving the cliffs’ edge to threaten someone else.
But still there was the Paintbrush, so beautiful in its rarity. It seemed like the only thing up on the mountain that was safe to look at, where as everything else felt like it might crumble under my gaze.
And lastly the boardwalk. The man still stood there, lounging lazily against the concrete wall, his dog with the ratty ears at his side, and his cardboard sign perched next to his tattered bag. I didn’t know what to think. I only knew that life had changed, because finally I had seen something that wasn’t so beautiful here in this beautiful place. I’d finally seen the truth. The sign was written in black marker, its jagged letters reading Why lie? I need beer.
I left the man there with his cardboard sign and his beat up shoes. I’d make my own truth somewhere else.
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:00 pm
captaindomdude says...

Excellent work, you perfectly executed the job of a writer, which was to make your reader lose themself in the location and what's happening. I could imagine the area you were in, even though I've never been near a serious body of water. Your experience of the ride to the beach and everything else was, again, executed perfectly. Literally the only thing I found that was wrong with this was at the end. You should have put quotation marks around what the sign read. I didn't realize that was what the sign read the first time because of that. Great work, the message is one I hope everyone gets at one point.
"If beauty could be done without the pain, well I'd rather never see life's beauty again"-Modest Mouse.

"What lies beneath this mask is more then a man, it's an idea. And ideas are bulletproof" V, V for Vendetta.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 pm
SmylinG says...

Hey, Ty. :mrgreen:

Glad to see you posted a story up. Your writing is definitely the sort of style I like to read. Figured I'd lend you a little review since it seems no one has gotten to this piece yet.

First off, I think I kinda/sorta got what your intention of this was. You explained that this was meant to be a memoir of a changing point in your life? Your writing was obviously beautiful. I have no real complaint aside from a few smaller nit-picks. For the prompt given though, I really didn't see where you achieved a strong enough point. I could tell what you were hinting at, but it just didn't hit me as strongly as it should've. You have this scene appearing where you're spending a day out with friends or whomever. You bring in the homeless man in the beginning and tie him in at the end, but there was no twist to the way you did it. You just sort of seemed to shove him in at both end of your story and spend all this time making the fluff of your story this beautifully distracting piece of work.

I also didn't really care too much for the way you made your point.

I only knew that life had changed, because finally I had seen something that wasn’t so beautiful here in this beautiful place. I’d finally seen the truth.

This thought seems abrupt, and a little bit over-dramatic for the scene itself. Almost like you were dressing it up however way you thought was best suited. The reason I say this is simply because I've come across this exact scene with a homeless man. Sitting just outside the parking entrance of a shopping center on the east side of where I live. And I found it a bit humorous to be frank. It changed my thoughts or opinions in no specific way.

Unless you're somewhat sheltered in whatever area you're living in, you see these types of homeless everywhere. They hold up the same sign admitting they're gonna use whatever money you give them to get drunk off it. No one needs to see this particular blunt sign to know that that's what 98% of homeless people do with the money they beg for. So I just wish you had simply shown a different perspective on this I suppose.

I had a few nit-picks of my own which I'll go ahead and point out really quick before wrapping this up.

The smell of fresh fish and salt water wafted up to us in a gentle mist. Voices met our ears in a gentle hum making the air feel thick and static filled around us.

Right here you use the same word twice perhaps too closely together. I'd change either one to some synonym or other.

Beth danced her way to the waters’ edge, dipped her finger in the water, [then] stuck it in her mouth.

I felt there should be an added word right in between there. It just sounded a bit awkward without it.

But still there was the Paintbrush, so beautiful in its rarity.

I was completely lost when I read this. Maybe I missed something earlier on in your story, but what is this Paintbrush? A sight to see? That was my only real guess. Would be nice if you could further elaborate a bit.

Well, that's about it I guess. This was really nicely written, Ty. But I'm not sure the point stood out as strongly in my eyes. I'd like to see you maybe touch this in a slightly different angle should you choose to edit later on. I hope any advice or opinions I've given can be of some help. And I apologize if anything I said may have seemed blunt in any way!

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter