z

Young Writers Society

Matters

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 pm
View Likes
tgirly says...

"Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13. These are the three things that should matter to us more than anything, and the greatest of these? Of course- love. Everyone knows that. But what is love?
To figure out what love is, we have to look at what we love. Let's face it, what we love beauty. There's no changing that, don't fight it, you know it. We only love what is beautiful.
What is beauty? This would be the next question on the string of thought. I'll tell you what beauty is, but it's not a pretty picture. (Don't pardon the pun.)
There was once a study done, where they took several people's faces and averaged them out. And in every test, the average face was always voted far more beautiful than all the other faces. Beauty is being average. For all our schools and posters and tv shows talk about sticking out, and being original, being different, we only love what is average. We cling to the familiar, scared of the different and unknown. It's just a fact of life.
Is this really what beauty is in our country? Is this really what love is? Is this really all that matters? Being average? There has to be more.
Luckily, there are other types of beauties to fall back on. The starry sky, or a wide open plain. A painting or a song by an artist. Things like this that flow through you, that stir something inside of you. This is love.
This is all very well and good, but if that's the only kind of beauty you trust in, then what of man? Should we all just give up on each other and retreat to distant mountains, or untread fields? By no means! We all need human society, we crave it. If we give up on man, then we give up everything. We have to find another type of beauty. A beauty harder to find than the first two. A deeper beauty. An inner beauty. We have to stare into the eyes of strangers passing on the streets and wonder what it's like to be in their shoes, see through their eyes. We have to picture what their families are like, who cares about them and who would miss them if they weren't there. We have to picture them with souls like our own, who want and feel and hurt and fear. Who crave love as much as we do. Only then, when we can see this inner beauty, and see our fellow men as sisters and brothers through Christ, can we love and hope and have faith for man kind.
And in the end, those are the only things that matter.
Last edited by tgirly on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 am
DaughterofEvil says...

In my mind, inner beauty is the only one which exists. Aesthetics are extremely over-rated in modern society. But regardless, onto my review. This piece was not too long and not too short either. You did not drone on about topics, and I thought your piece was well organized and flowed from topic to topic. I think it's a bit sad I'm the first one to comment on this piece, but I think you'll get your point across. There honestly aren't any things I would like you to correct, which in my opinion is a bad thing. I would like to help a fellow writer out when I can.... :( Still, happy writing!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 am
TaylaChase says...

This was nicely written, good job :D I'm not really sure how to critique works like this that aren't really 'stories', but I can give you my opinion.

These are the three thinds [things] that should matter to us more than anything. And [I generally dislike sentences being started with 'and'] the greatest of these?

There was once a study done, where they took a bunch of [This kind of breaks the flow of you have created. Maybe try using something like, 'they took several people's faces...' or something, to keep the rhythm you have going] of people's faces and averaged them out.

The only thing being skinny says about you, [No need for a comma here] is that you either have parents who have slightly better metabolisms than the rest of us, which is a pure chance of luck, or you starve yourself for fun.

Also, not everyone starves themselves or has a good metabolism to be skinny. Some people eat healthy and exercise and are skinny. Here you seem to make it a bad thing to be skinny, but some people are just being healthy. Just a thought.

Luckily, there's [This should be 'there are' not 'there is' which is what there's means] other types of beauties to fall back on.

Thins [Things] like this that flow through you, that stir something inside of you.

Should we all just give up on each other and retreat to distant mountains, or untread feilds? [fields]

And [Again, I dislike sentences started with 'and'. I noticed you used it to start a sentence several other times as well, but I guess it's up to you] in the end, those are the only things that will matter.

I like how this gives people something to think about, kinda opens their eyes to your perspective on things and think about how they think about these things. Anyway, this was a nice piece of work and I enjoyed reviewing it! I hope I could be of at least a little help to you.
~Tayla
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
~Albert Einstein

I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
~Anonymous

I am the author of my life. Unfortunately I'm writing in pen and I can't erase my mistakes. . .
~Anonymous

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green