z

Young Writers Society

Art and Plastic

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 pm
spike71294 says...

Among all the definitions of undefinable things, it’s the definition of art that is the most ambiguous.

From Romanticism to classicism, from Pop Art to Abstract Expressionism, art encompasses everything. Even a line or a dot can be considered as an artwork — if the artist makes it so.

But if art is everything and anything, it’s essentially nothing. If that was to be true, then we wouldn’t have been talking about it in the first place. Thus, there has to be something which is not art.

But how do we differentiate?

To me, art is an expression — like a kiss between two lovers, or the violent sobs of a bereaved mother. It’s the flower plucked from the garden of your soul, laid bare for the world to smell.

Often, people associate art with beauty and complexity. But art can also be ugly and express nothingness. After all, these too are a part of our existence. Of course, most art critics will disagree. They always do.

To be quite honest, I never understood why people spend so much time and intellectual energy to analyse and criticize art.

All art narrates a story about some aspect of our existence. But the existence of each individual is unique — it’s subjective. And hence art is subjective — it’s not the same for everyone.

Thus, judgement of every art critic would invariably be his(or her) personal opinion.

It’s quite entertaining how artists look up to them for their stamp of approval, which they never get.

Andy Warhol was an artist who never managed to acquire the approval of the critics. He never sought their judgement. He was a genius.

One of his most influential quotes was that “Artists make things that people don’t need”. This essentially makes all artists plastic junk.

But plastic doesn’t decompose and Gods never die.

Artists are a bit of both.
----------------------------------------------
This is a blog post taken from www.deerayolia.tumblr.com

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:56 pm
Stori says...

All art narrates a story about some aspect of our existence. But the existence of each individual is unique — it’s subjective. And hence art is subjective — it’s not the same for everyone.

True, that. It's often frustrating when a literature textbook asks about symbolism that doesn't seem to exist. (All right, class, what does this story tell us about life in general? You don't know?)

Thus, judgement of every art critic would invariably be his(or her) personal opinion.

No reason why this shouldn't be in the previous paragraph. It expresses the same idea.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:16 pm
TaylaChase says...

I really can't find anything that needs critiquing about your piece, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed it. A lot of what you say here is very true. And it's also very interesting. I think you did a great job writing it, and I like the topic you chose to write about. Anyway, it's a very well written, interesting piece of work. I like how it makes people think about things that normally wouldn't really cross your mind. Like the fact that everything is art, and not all art is beautiful.

To me, art is an expression — like a kiss between two lovers, or the violent sobs of a bereaved mother. It’s the flower plucked from the garden of your soul, laid bare for the world to smell.

I like how you describe here what art is to you. It makes it more personal, and I also love the way you describe it.

Often, people associate art with beauty and complexity. But art can also be ugly and express nothingness. After all, these too are a part of our existence. Of course, most art critics will disagree. They always do.

I also especially like this part.

This part was also very interesting.

Andy Warhol was an artist who never managed to acquire the approval of the critics. He never sought their judgement. [judgment] He was a genius.

Anyway, so basically the quotes are the parts I think I like best. Good job with your writing :D
~Tayla
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
~Albert Einstein

I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
~Anonymous

I am the author of my life. Unfortunately I'm writing in pen and I can't erase my mistakes. . .
~Anonymous

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet