z

Young Writers Society

Newspaper-style report on the death of Alexander III

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:47 pm
Harley says...

ALEXANDER DIES

News is flooding in about the death of our beloved King Alexander. On the night of March 19th 1286, our beloved king and his horse perished after falling off a Cliffside right here in Kinghorn, Fife.
There is no doubt that this is a tragic happening but was it really an accident? Did our great King really fall or was he pushed?
One of the King companions, Sir Henry of Fife, said “We begged the king not to travel. It was too late to make the journey and a bad night, but he would not listen.” Our caring king obviously wanted to get home to his beautiful wife, as he had left her to go to Edinburgh on business of state. The Queen herself said “When evening fell some of his companions arrived at Kinghorn Castle. They told me that he had travelled with them from Edinburgh but they had become separated in a dense patch of fog. I sent men out to search the road as soon as it was light. They later brought me the tragic news of my husband’s death.”
The king was described as being “in high spirits” and this would have added to his difficulty travelling. Along with the thick fog and wet roads, our great king must have been longing to get home.
There are theories that our own king was murdered, but this reporter highly doubts that. Who would want to kill such a great man, who never hurt a soul, as our king?
The tragic family have had dreadful luck in the past. The king’s three lovely children died before he did, and his first wife (who was a kind and loving sister to Edward I, king of England) passed very suddenly. Could our noble royal family be cursed?
The question on almost all lips is just who is the heir to the throne? Since only direct descendants of the king may become the new king or queen of Scotland, there are not many to choose from. In fact, the only descendant of the king is his dear little granddaughter, the maid of Norway. Of course, she is far too young to take on such a high powered and important job, so she will be taken over to Scotland in a few years’ time.
The funeral preparations will take some time, and we will bring our readers more on that story as it develops.

R.I.P
King Alexander III of Scotland

I thought that maybe some people would be interested in this...so I posted it. The actual paper was typed in columns and i used teabags to make the paper old looking and crispy. Hope you enjoy it, or that it was useful to you. If you have any comments, questions or even crits, post 'em!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:40 am
Nate says...

Hey, interesting article; I never head of King Alexander III before (indeed, I know very little about the Kings of Scotland even though that's where my family is from). You have me intrigued now, but there's no further information about who he was or what he did; I really would've like to have read that. Good job overall though since you increased my interest in the subject!

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler