z

Young Writers Society

Valentine Schamalentine. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 am
ahmedBurooj says...

Valentines Day. It's just another Monday. Or is it?

Is it ACTUALLY a symbolic day, that showcases the love , that individuals have for each other, or is it just another overpriced day, on which people spend money (and Time) for no apparent reason.
Now, while my SERIOUS dis-interest towards this Oh-so-great day would raise quite a few eyebrows, i am, and will remain indifferent. According to me, it's just another one of those things, that we do, for no other reason than for the sake of doing it. (Like, Halloween) .

However, from a practical point of view, Haloween would actually even sum up to be somewhat better. At-least you get candy out of it. Valentine's day? Nah, all you end up with, is an empty wallet and a list of cost-cutting ideas for the rest of the month. To be able to afford this day, would actually mean , to save money, right from Christmas.

So, To understand the concept, why not trace the roots of this day ;
It was established way back in 500AD , to commemorate love and affection between two individuals and was named after the Martyr , Saint Valentine (may refer to one or more people) .

Now if it's just a day that celebrates love, why the need of something special? What's even there to celebrate? Why waste fancy pennies on a bottle of champagne, and why dine at a way-out-of-your-league restaurant? To celebrate love, you don't need a day. All you need is your significant other.
Now , as naive as i may sound, i'm me.
So, is this one of those situations, where i end up with my head held high, or is it one of those, where i bow out, in embarrassing defeat? Only time will tell, since it's me against the other 3 billion or so patrons of Valentines Day.

It's-a-topsy-turvy-world-ingly yours.
Why can't we have drops of sunshine, and rays of rain?

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar