z

Young Writers Society

A Teenager's Meaning of Life

Reviews: 4
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am
lyra says...

For a 40-year-old man, life is about living it to the fullest. It is about achieving dreams not for one’s own sake but for others. It is about learning and continuing to learn. It is about facing challenges, not giving up and overcoming them. It is about giving everything what you can give. It is about keeping your faith until the end. And it is about offering one’s whole life to God.

This man has found the true meaning of life through his years of experience and living, but how about a teenager’s view of life? Teenagers who are in the middle part of life. It is a part where you are too old to be a child and too young to be an adult. A part where your hormones start to change and you, either physically or mentally starts to change, too. It is where you are confused all the time because of these changes. Teenagers play a very important role in our society not only today but also yesterday and tomorrow. Yesterday, they’ve been innocent little ones, not minding their surroundings and not facing any challenge. Tomorrow, they will be the ones to continue the routine of life- working to have something to eat and eating to be able to work, thus to survive and make this world a better place. But today, they are confused human beings and seldom are self-centered ones.

For a 14-year-old boy, life is about dating tons of hot girls. It is about how many times he kissed a girl for a day. It is about always doing something together with his “barkada”. It is about spending more time with his friends and less with his family. It is about winning and beating his friends in an online game. It is about having the newest collectible robot model. And it is about being feared by other boys and being dreamed by a thousand of girls. On the other hand, for a 14-year-old girl, life is about always hanging out with friends. It is about dating a lot of hot boys. It is about wearing the trendiest clothes of the season. It is about having the latest technology. It is about being the “IT” girl. It is about having a slim and skinny body. And it is about being the hottest girl in school.

For short, life for the teenagers is about being wanted, being popular. It is when being talked about the whole time because of one’s awesomeness. It is when being a cool pal to hang with. It is having a power to make someone’s life better or to ruin it. It is when being well-known and can influence other people. It is when being very cool and very awesome. Popularity can be a teenager’s whole life. All they want is be wanted and to fit in.

It is sad to know but this is the fact: teenagers focus more on their lives than on their families or loved ones. But a few teenagers tend to make the best out of their lives. They get out of their way to change other people’s life for the better. Take for example, a 16-year-old boy with five younger siblings and who lost both of their parents in an accident. All the responsibilities of their parents were given to the boy. They were left with a house, with no relatives to help them out. The boy decided to stop studying and started to work. There were times when he loses hope. There were dark hours where he felt alone and tired. But he never quit until he was able to let all his siblings finish their studies. For this boy, life is about being able to eat three times a day. It is about seeing his siblings smile and say thank you after a long day of work. It is about working hard to pursue his dreams for his siblings. And it is about keeping his faith that God has a great plan for him and his family.

A story like this of a teenager who can give sacrifices for the future of his loved ones, is an inspiration to all teenagers. It shows that not all teenagers are self-centered. Like St. Therese of the Child Jesus who became a nun and devoted her life to God when she was only 15, we too can give our whole selves to God and live our lives to the fullest.

Teenagers are not too old to have fun and explore the wonders of life and are not too young to live a life following the footsteps of God.
Last edited by lyra on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE TO READ AND WRITE. end of story.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 am
mangawolf says...

Hi, this was very nice. It really gave a sense of what the average teenager is living for, just living for the moment and getting what they can out of it. The one thing that bothered me was the repetition of "it is about..." Repetition is a good thing, but it should be used sparingly. Like, you could string some things together instead of having them as separate sentences.

EX: For a 14-year-old boy, life is about dating tons of hot girls. It is about how many times he kissed a girl for a day. It is about always doing something together with his “barkada”. It is about spending more time with his friends and less with his family, about winning and beating his friends in an online game, about having the newest collectible robot model. And it is about being feared by other boys and being dreamed by a thousand of girls.

By the way, I like that last sentence in this paragraph. ^

Happy writing! :wink:

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:48 pm
TylynRae says...

Okays, I really like this piece, but there is only one little thing that I see that bothers me a little. When you explain what life is about for different people, you say "It is about..." over and over and over again. Don't get me wrong, a lot of my sentences do that too. But there is a vast majority of your sentences that start the same way. And too much repetition gets the point across, but it also bores the reader. It reminds me of when I was little and I was learning how to read with those books that said "The cat can jump." "The cat can hiss." The cat can bite." "The cat can play." and thats how it goes for the entire story. It just drags a little and doesn't keep the reader guessing. It is a good piece and I like how you come to it with different views and perspectives, but I think some of it can be approached a little differently. Best of luck.
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:01 pm
PandaAiKorai says...

It is about giving everything that you can give.

They go out of their way to change other...

You mainly have slight issues that need to be read over, nothing major. I realize that you're 15, but you also are old enough to know more elaborate vocabulary. You could try being more descriptive with your words. Frankly, I find this to have potential, yet still bland. I know this may sound harsh, but true. You obviously have some skill here, but- please don't take much offense to this- use a thesaurus to broaden your wording. You're a smart person, I can see that. Now show everyone just how intelligent you are, dear.

~Panda;;
Southern hospitality just ain't what it used to be...

...Ain't what it used to be...

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 pm
MadameLuxestrange says...

Okay, I thought that this was pretty good. There were a couple of grammar things that other people already pointed out and the whole thing with repetition was also touched on. My biggest beef with this piece is that you were not very descriptive. You did a lot of telling instead of showing. As one of the other people put it, it was rather bland. Personally, I thought that you were a little general too. Not all teenagers are as self-centered all the time, as you've written it to sound like. And not all of us believe in God either. Try and put a few more perspectives in there; that would sound a little bit more broad and will make you seem much more open. This piece really does have tons of potential, so keep working on it!

Cheers,
Luxe
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm
Doxie00 says...

So i liked this piece. It is quite true...soo true actually. :)

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm
Qoh16 says...

I liked this piece. It is true. I am not going to repeat so that was all. Keep writing :D
~Life has a song for every moment in life. It is just the matter of finding the right one.~

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"