z

Young Writers Society

Life's Decisions and Destiny

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:57 pm
matthewmazer says...

Destiny is a word with an elusive definition. People say it is the path of our life, determined at birth. I believe differently.
Destiny has been turned into something as a figure to be blamed. "Why did you do this?" someone will ask someone else. "It is my destiny. I can not escape it"<----lies. Destiny is something we build ourselves, with our own blood,sweat and tears, not something predetermined. Have you ever heard "Our decisions decide us" because it's the truth. As we make our journey through life our present is our destiny. The decisions we make today will decides our tomorrow because of the repercussions. Each decision opens new doors. Follow your heart and do what you want, with a burned bridge there is always one to replace it. Be your own person, not someone else's pet. Don't worry about the consequences, and don't fear doing something because it will make someone else mad. "He who holds fear over you controls you." You've done something right when you know you have no regrets, because regret is nothing but an unnecessary burden. Here's some advice; don't worry about life beacuse you'll never make it out alive.
Start today and forge your own destiny.
Now that you've read this I dare you to comment what you think destiny is.
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 am
GracieBee62 says...

I liked your take on the definition of "destiny." It's a very broad word, and you brought up some good points to properly argue your side.

For the most part, I agree with you. We can determine our own destiny - it's not necessarily pre-determined by a greater being (be what religion you may). However, I did not agree with a certain statement of yours:

'Don't worry about the consequences, and don't fear doing something because it will make someone else mad. "He who holds fear over you controls you." You've done something right when you know you have no regrets, because regret is nothing but an unnecessary burden.'

I believe that because all humans were born with original sin, we should most definitely worry about the consequences of our actions, and how it will affect others (whether it be 'mad' or 'happy', etc). And I don't believe you've done something right when you know you have no regrets. I believe you know you've done something right when your heart and conscience feel clean and pure, and when you are positive that you haven't hurt a soul. You could argue and say that this means exactly what you said, but I believe "regret"/your statement differs from "a clean heart and conscience"/my statement.

As a Catholic, I have been brought up to believe that we should always think of consequences for our actions. I don't know what your religion is, but I respect your opinion. Also, I don't speak for all Catholics on this. I'm just simply giving my own view, just as you dared me too. :)
- baby, please don't go -
- who do you think you are? -
- i was enchanted to meet you -
- you're the only one who's got enough of me to break my heart -
- until the morning sun you're mine, all mine -
- there's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words 4 you... i love you -

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat May 07, 2011 4:34 pm
matthewmazer says...

First time I checked this and I saw what you said about having a clean heart/mind after doing so and thats kinda what i meant, not doing something bad and feel nothing about it.
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun May 15, 2011 3:50 am
IKnowAll says...

Well, I'd say you're right, but that there's another side to it as well. Destiny in my opinion is guided by, as you said, actions, but also luck, which in this case is technically how the actions interact. When you make an action, think about how it alters others' future, and your own. Not one or the other, although you should compare them, and think as an outsider, think as if you are some one else, looking at yourself, and then, make a decision. If all people were to think this way, the world would be far different, and destiny would change for the better... Destiny is, as you said, the present, but also the future. In my opinion, you are correct, but only have part of the truth. But, things such as destiny are matters of opinion. Even the dictionary says there's more than one meaning for most words. Well, keep writing. I think I would think like you if my life had not been altered by luck, which I know to be a real phenomena... It's hard to prove, but once you see it, you know fully of it. A lot of that was off topic, I suppose, but once I'm writing, I speak my mind...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx