z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter: The Legacy.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 pm
LadySpark says...

So many have done it, and I must as well.

The first time I ever heard of Harry Potter, I was sick and in the hospital. My mom had my aunt bring her the second Harry Potter movie that had just came out. I remember, sitting there, huddled under the blankets, trying not to puke and shivering with fear. Because, I thought Dobby was freaky.
A year or so passed.

That's when the legacy started for me.

I was seven, and in a show, and being a child, I spent most of the time sitting backstage keeping out of trouble.
My mother had a tape player (that's how long ago it was) and ear phones and the cassettes of Harry Potter. She let me listen, and I sat in rapture, hour after hour, listening to Harry Potter: and the Sorcerers stone. I was entranced by Jim Dale's voice, the magic, the owls, everything.

I wanted more.

I remember one thing especially, how mad I was when one little boy started listening to it when I was on stage! He had lost my place! What was I to do?

I found it again, but in those frantic minutes, all I could think about was how much I hated him.

I finished listening to the first book, and boy, was I hooked. Nothing else mattered. Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter.

I read all the books, slowly, going over it in my head, making up my own outcomes.

Even then, I would dream about Harry, what was going to happen, and who was going to win.

When the sixth book came out, We were on the road, heading towards the beach.

I remember, at midnight, my mom making my dad stop at a walmart for the Half Blood prince. She read with feverishness, and I can remember thinking 'they say Dumbldore is dying.'

I read the sixth. I cried. And cried.

On my eleventh birthday, I sat all day, waiting for that letter, waiting. waiting. Needless to say, it never came. And I admit, to this day, I still harbor the hope it will come. Apologizing for its lateness. Bearing my name, my address, and my room.
Then at midnight, I woke up, sure I heard Hagrid pounding on the door, bearing a cake, and a pink umbrella, and sure he was going to turn my little sister into a pig. Or try too.

When the seventh book was coming out, the fifth movie was coming out.

I have always disliked the movies, they didn't stay true to the books. It started with the fourth, and got worse and worse.

I got in trouble that week, and my dad was thinking of the worst punishment he could give me. 'you can't read the seventh book. you have to wait a week.'

Oh, the woes. I was sobbing, saying anything else, please daddy. Anything else.

He wouldn't budge.

Oh, how those few days felt like an eternity. Everyday I would call my best friend, who was also reading the series, 'whats happened? whats going on?'

My whole family was hooked by then.
Mother, Father, Baby sister.

We would sit for hours, discussing. Snape, The sword, Harry, His scar, Voldemort, everything. And to this day, we still do.
My mother sat in bed reading the book,
And my dad bought a second Deathly hallows, just so he could read it.

And finally, the time came for me to read it!

I can tell you, I felt numb. I couldn't believe it!
Fred and Bellatrix, my favorite characters, Dead! Dobby, dead!

I sobbed.
~~~
Over the few years in between the seventh movie and seventh book, I read the books over and over again, I listened to them over and over again. The magic and Owls still amazing me.

When we went to the second half of the seventh movie, I wore my invisibility cloak. And my deathly hallows tee.

Sitting there, I stared at the screen in rapture.
From the time of Snape's death, when Harry caught his tears in a vial, I sobbed. I smiled happily as I saw them all together and safe after Voldemort's death.

I know the legacy is not over. All my children, my children's children, and their children will read Harry Potter, they will sit on their eleventh birthday, waiting for that letter, hoping into their late teen years still.

Because,as Dumbldore says: you will find that i will only truely have left this school when none left here are loyal to me.

So all we must do, is remain loyal. And Harry will stay in our hearts.

Mischief managed.
But not for long. :)
Last edited by LadySpark on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 pm
View Likes
remember20 says...

I think this resonates with a lot of people who read the books. I also didn't like the movies that much. The third was my favorite movie, but it was also my favorite book. Quidditch is a big thing in the third book, and the story is awesome and has a great twist ending that knocks you a block. But as for your essay, I was wondering why you didn't use paragraphs. Now that I think about it, a couple lines here or there made this more shaggy, more emotional--and it worked, because you're describing your love for the Harry Potter series. It's like an outpouring of what a lot of us feel in about the series. :D
It's actually a pretty cool feeling to be a fan of something you truly like, and sharing it with other people. That's why people scream so loud at sports arenas.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm
View Likes
OriginofSymmetry says...

This made me smile. A lot. I think that's because I can relate to it. I'm not as big a fan as you, but I am a rather big fan xD I didn't spot any grammar errors or anything, so that's good, and there isn't really much else to comment on really. So, I enjoyed this :)
"Muse are my religion. Dom Howard is my God"

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:08 pm
View Likes
Tomboy044 says...

I really like this. I love how you have shared with us a little bit of your childhood and letting us in. Letting us see what it was like in your life.
This is really special- treasure it!
Tomboy044 x
Never give up on your dreams. Dreams make us passionate and life without passion is pointless. x

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:14 pm
View Likes
reaganpark says...

Wow, I really like this! I love how you show that it affected you, and how you and your family enjoyed it together. I laughed when I read this,
I got in trouble that week, and my dad was thinking of the worst punishment he could give me. 'you can't read the seventh book. you have to wait a week.'

Oh, the woes. I was sobbing, saying anything else, please daddy. Anything else.

I think it's funny because I get that punishment all the time. :D

Anyways, this was awesome! I don't like doing grammar, so no nitpicks! Yay!
WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm
View Likes
chloe13 says...

Loved it! I whole-heartedly agree that Harry shall always have a special place in my heart :(
Plus, I heard Rowling was maybe going to write more, I don't know what about but she said that Ron, Harry and Hermione were like children to her and that she'd just feel empty without them!!

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 pm
View Likes
GrayLady says...

This is so true. It made me want to cry. It reminds me so much of my Harry Potter story...

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:33 pm
MonoTheElderish says...

Wonderful. Even though I got in on the harry potter thing a little late, this still resonates. So sad that Dumbledore died. *sniff* and Fred and Bellatrix. So sad. A really great essay though. Loved it.
Eve Online Nerd. Poke for Babble.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:52 pm
View Likes
Piper says...

Don't worry, Painter, it's a College thing. Twas decided at camp, a girl was convinced it was going to come when sheleft for college, so don't worry. I haven't loved them as long as you have, but I know the feeling. I read the entire series in two weeks so I could see the seventh movie (I've finally read the seventh book!). Right now I'm drawing Luna (I want her to be my best friend so bad), and watching my email for that dang pottermore email....
Mischif managed,
Tacks
Last edited by Piper on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

355 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm
LadySpark says...

I EDITED
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:22 am
View Likes
Mikko says...

I love this. I love how it's so heart-felt and that many, many peole can relate to it. My sisters and I love Harry Potter so much that we too have been waiting for those letters. :D

My mum had a problem with it at first though (she's very religious and get's all seriuos when we start screaming spells at each other in the house) but now she has no choice, I guess, because she can't control how much we love it!

Up to tis date, I have dreams with Harry Potter and the gang. I also hate that Fred died and can I say wow! We have the same favorite characters! As well as my Voldy-Locks <3!

Snap. I haven't watched the second part yet! I really need to get a move on! But I did watch the premiere-show in London where JK Rowling, the actors and producers each gave a speech. They all made me cry :'(

How do we know that HP will live on forever? Well, it's gotten too epic to go unnoticed in the future and it's got loooooads of fans AND people (including me) are writing Fan-Fics, creating parodies, walking around with pencils and pretending they're wands, wearing round glasses, logging into Pottermore, buying HP merchandise...
With all that, how can it possibly end?

Great job, Drama!
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

355 Reviews

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 pm
LadySpark says...

Thanks for the comments everyone.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame