z

Young Writers Society

She's Taking the Wheel

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 am
beccalicious94 says...

“Do you see that stoplight?” exclaimed Hal as I was driving down Bell Boulevard for the first time.

“I didn’t see it,” I timidly responded with my hands shaking at the wheel.

“You’re the one driving this car; no one else is driving it for you. You step behind the wheel and it’s your responsibility to get where you’re going, no distractions and no looking for conflict,” he yelled matter-of-factly.

“I’m not feeling too great,” I lied, surrendering the wheel to the next driver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You eat, you bathe, you get a job, and somewhere in between you learn how to drive. Driving is one of the most essential skills adults in most areas need to learn so that they can get around and be independent. For most people it’s as easy as riding a bike, but I, am a statistics person. I knew going into this that driving is about the most dangerous thing one does in an average day, which is why I’ve never been afraid of flying or roller coasters—which cause far less accidents yearly. But me, driving? How was a tiny girl like me going to operate this 4,000 pound gas-guzzling monstrosity? Maybe, I couldn’t do it. I mean hey, G-d gave out all the gifts before we were born, perhaps I didn’t wait on the driver’s line because I was too busy on the line for academics and leadership. That HAD to be the reason; after all, everything in the world has balance!

I got home that day and told my parents that maybe I really am not the driving type. I’m anxious, I’m nearsighted, I’m too short to reach the pedals, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t…

The “I can’t” mindset stops millions of people everyday from accomplishing their goals. They don’t lose the weight, they don’t go for the interview, they don’t ask that girl out and not because they can’t, but because they are afraid of failing. Failure is something that we are destined to do. Most of us are great at it (I fail to walk without tripping over my own feet at least twice a day). If we were all perfect beings we wouldn’t need to live because there would be no room for growth, our biggest triumph. The important thing in life is to never give up, because if you do, you’re only losing the battle against your strongest impediment—yourself. No one is expecting us to emanate with grace 24/7, but we are expected to keep pushing forward. With an "I can't" mentality, there was no way I could accomplish what I wanted.

50 hours, 30 scoldings, 20 parallel parks, 10 broken U-turns, 5 crying episodes, 3 near pedestrian collisions, and 1 ounce of that Jewish stubbornness later, I danced home with the black and white proof of my persistence—the highly anticipated (interim) driver’s license. I’m glad I stuck it out. I bet Hal would be proud of me right now (and also terribly petrified that I’m on the road without him). I’m proud of myself for taking the wheel and choosing the correct road to take.
Last edited by beccalicious94 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm
View Likes
shadowraiki says...

Funny, serious, and realistic would be three words I would describe this as. It was great, I felt like I was by your side as you struggled to learn this skill. The humor was especially welcome because it showed that you wanted us to have a good time. But at the same time you managed to convey a message, both a negative and a positive about humans. Then you gave motivation for us to continue and before I knew it, I was at the end cheering for you. I made a few edits below, but let me say it again, it was great.

Spoiler! :
“Do you see that stoplight?” exclaimed Hal as I was driving down Bell Boulevard for the first time.

“I didn’t see it,” I timidly responded with my hands shaking at the wheel.

“You’re the one driving this car; no one else is driving it for you. You step behind the wheel and it’s your responsibility to get where you’re going, no distractions and no looking for conflict,” he yelled matter-of-factly.

“I’m not feeling too great,” I lied, surrendering the wheel to the next driver.

I would put some sort of break here because it shifts from a narrative to a different tone. Sort of a moment of panic to a calm, level headed person who is explaining a problem. I love how Hal acts like the "standard person" who makes it seem like driving is the easiest thing in the world when really, it's only because he's probably done it many times before.

You eat, you bathe, you get a job, and somewhere in between you learn how to drive. Driving is one of the most basic skills adults in most areas need to learn so that they can get around and be independent. For most people it’s as easy as riding a bike, but I, am a statistics person. I knew going into this that driving is about the most dangerous thing one does in an average day, which is why I’ve never been afraid of flying or roller coasters—which cause far less accidents yearly. But me, driving? How was a tiny girl like me going to operate this 4,000 pound gas-guzzling monstrosity? Maybe, I couldn't do it. I mean hey, G-d gave out all the gifts before we were born, perhaps I didn’t wait on the driver’s line because I was too busy in the line for academics and leadership. That HAD to be the reason; after all,everything in the world has balance!

I don't think 'basic' is the correct word because in reality, it can be quite complex as you described earlier. Maybe something like: "Driving is one of the most essential skills an adult requires." and then you can split the second part into another sentence because it does sound a tad bit awkward. Love the part where you mention statistics and the car. Had a little nerd moment, I think the same way: "why do people trust one another with an object that is full capable of killing another person? They're more widely distributed than firearms!" There's a hyphon between G and d, did you do that on purpose, it was it actually suppose to say God? The only other thing I would like to mention is that the last part sounded out of place without some sort of transition. So I threw in 'after all', see if you like it. This paragraph establishes the issue well and the doubt that comes with it.

I got home that day and told my parents that maybe I really am not the driving type. I’m anxious, I’m nearsighted, I’m too short to reach the pedals, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t…

The “I can’t” mindset stops millions of people everyday from accomplishing their goals. They don’t lose the weight, they don’t go for the interview, they don’t ask that girl out and not because they can’t, but because they are afraid of failing. Failure is something that we are destined to do. Most of us are great at it (I fail to walk without tripping over my own feet at least twice a day). If we were all perfect beings we wouldn’t need to live because there would be no room for growth, our biggest triumph. The important thing in life is to never give up, because if you do, you’re only losing the battle against your strongest impediment—yourself. No one is expecting us to emanate with grace 24/7, but we are expected to keep pushing forward.

The hardest part of a problem: admitting it to loved ones. Loved how it looked like your mind was clouded with all these thoughts of failure and their excuses. Then bam, you hit us in the face with your next paragraph. This paragraph hits hard because EVERYONE can connect with it. The little humor you add about tripping is hilarious as well. It is very motivation and makes us feel that we're not alone. Some of the sentences feel long. That is the only complaint I have. But the paragraph was near perfect in my opinion.

50 hours, 30 scoldings, 20 parallel parks, 10 broken U-turns, 5 crying episodes, 3 near pedestrian collisions, and 1 ounce of that Jewish stubbornness later, I danced home with the black and white proof of my persistence—the highly anticipated (interim) driver’s license. I’m glad I stuck it out. I bet Hal would be proud of me right now (and also terribly petrified that I’m on the road without him). I’m proud of myself for taking the wheel and choosing the correct road to take.

Transition before the paragraph would be nice, such as: "With my former mentality, there was no way I could accomplish what I wanted. But..." or "So I kept pushing forward." The only thing to note is that your tense switches in the middle. I know it'll sound wierd to say "I was glad," but it sounds even more wierd when it switches like that. Another suggestion would be taking that out and making it into another paragraph, and then elaborating a little bit more. The first sentence could easily be stretched out into two or three if you wanted to add some detail as to what happened.
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm
View Likes
nativecatcher says...

I loved this piece. I found it inspirational in a way and thought you communicated the message of not giving up in a magnificent way. Grammatically wise I can't go much into detail because I'm not great at it. However content wise I think it was truly great.Learning to drive is something most people experience and there's always difficulties learning how to drive(I do not know yet so I don't know how difficult it is), but I do know how difficult things can be.This is probably one of my favorite pieces on TheYoungWriter'sSociety because it is something universal everyone can relate to.
Follow your bliss.-J.Campbell

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 am
qtpie212 says...

Great lesson to come out of this essay. I love how you open up with a dialogue. That immediately grabs the reader's attention and makes them want to read more. You do have a few commas that are unnecessary so I think you should go over the essay one more time to take those out. Overall, awesome job!!! :D

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway