z

Young Writers Society

A New Life

Reviews: 2
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:16 pm
shikha1 says...

After staying at Delhi for 10 years, I was pretty sure that I wont have to change my school, leave my dear friends or adjust to a new life again. But destiny had its own plans. On 28th March 2011, my father got the transfer letter. He was transferred to Guwahati, Assam. Although my parents were happy to finally go back to their homeland, I was devastated.

I left Assam as a six-year old kid and since then I visit Assam only once a year for 10-12 days, during my summer vacations. My only memories of Assam are of the lush, green tea gardens, the playful days with my cousins and the pranks we played on our grandparents.

Now, I could not envisage myself settling in Assam even if it was for two years. I was furious over my parent's decision to shift to Assam and I felt dejected at the thought of leaving an amazing place like Delhi. It was followed by terrible mood swings and long fits of crying. But no matter how morose I felt, I had to accept the bitter truth, the harsh reality.

Leaving behind my despair, I started enjoying my last few days in Delhi like every day was the last day. I spent as much time as I could, with my friends and partied hard. Then finally came the day, time to bid adieu to the place I called home. With a strong heart, tear-filled eyes and promises to stay in touch forever, I said goodbye to my friends.

The journey from the hotel to the airport was filled with nostalgia. I felt like I'd miss every building, every road. In the flight, reminisced the wonderful days spent in Delhi. After three hours, I landed at the Guwahati airport and the pain I felt is not expressible in words. It finally dawned on me that I'd actually left Delhi, that I wound not go back for atleast two years, that I'd never get my old life back.

Now its been over a month and I'm trying to adjust to this new life. Though I miss Delhi a lot, Guwahati doesnot look like a bad place. It is fast developing with many malls and shopping centers coming up. I'm sure within a decade Guwahati will be as good as Delhi or maybe even better!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:29 pm
View Likes
pigfartsisonmars says...

Hey, I really enjoyed reading that piece, though I have a few suggestions.

There were some spelling errors, though probably just from typing quickly. I also felt that although you provided some imagery, you could've given us more detail of what life was like before the character was told they were leaving, perhaps some descriptions of their friends, and of themselves so we can understand the character more. Other than that, though I was very impressed with the text, and look forward to reading more!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:40 pm
View Likes
dolwright says...

Hi,
This article is good, and would have been great if you used more imagery. The reader would like an elaborate description of life in Delhi, what you missed the most and you think would never be replaced in the new place. Something to make it more interesting. Keep writing :)
'when I'm gone, my words will remain...
your word is a weapon, either of destruction or re-construction, whatever you make of it,
It's your choice.'

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith