z

Young Writers Society

Equine Camaraderie

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm
MiddleEarthGal says...

This is Narrative essay that I had to do for English Composition 1. I take courses at a community college to double as highschool and college credits, and this was the first essay I've ever had to do, so I thought I'd post it here. :) The essay topic given to my class was 'an event that changed my life.'

NOTE: This is not a work of fiction. This happened in my life, so please, do NOT copy this at all.

---

When I was a little girl, all I ever dreamed of owning was a black horse. Every year, when either my birthday or Christmas would roll around, I always asked for a horse, and the answer was always: “If you want a horse, you’ll have to pay for it yourself.” No matter how much I begged and pleaded, it was always the same answer. I was jealous of my cousins who had gotten a horse for free, even though they shared the poor thing among the four of them. I always wondered why I didn’t have somebody offering me a horse for free. I even prayed that God would just put a horse in my front yard while I was sleeping so my parents couldn’t say no.

When I was about five years old, my Dad came home with a little wooden box. On the lid of the box, was a painting of a bay mare and her little foal. When I asked him what the box was for, he said: “It’s for your horse savings.” Right then, I decided to start putting whatever I could into it, even if it was a quarter that I found in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Time dragged on and on, or so it seemed. Finally, when I was ten, I had around two-hundred dollars saved, and I looked through every Horse Trader that was published, searching for the perfect horse. Every time I would find one that was relatively cheap, Dad would look at it, and say: “Why do you think that horse is so cheap?” In my mind, I figured somebody was just being really nice, wanting to sell their horse for a good price to somebody like me. Needless to say, I was about the biggest sucker around.

After a year of searching, I was almost at my wit’s end, doomed to never find a horse. Then, I heard of a mare somebody wanted to sell. She was supposedly a big, black mare, with a very patient attitude. Of course, I absolutely had to see this wonder horse; I just knew she had to be the one. But just the day before that, I had spotted an ad in the paper for a palomino mare that sounded just as sweet, and now I found myself at a crossroad. That night, I could barely sleep. The next day, I would be going to look at not one, but two horses that could possibly be mine and the thought thrilled me. The next morning, dad took me to go see the palomino first. I loved her, but dad said to wait. I left the mare as a depressed eleven year old girl, praying that God would help me find a horse.

Little did I know that God had found a horse for me. Dad took me to see the other mare, and as soon as I saw her, I instantly forgot the palomino. There she was all saddled up, waiting for me to ride her. She had a gleaming ebony coat, and the kindest chocolate-colored eyes I had ever seen. The only thing I didn’t quite like was that the mare was very fat. The man selling her looked at me and asked: “Do you want to ride her?” In my mind, I was thinking what a ridiculous question that was; of course I wanted to ride her! I managed to scramble up onto the tall mare, (With some help from Dad) and began to walk her around the man’s front yard. He laughed as he watched her plod along. I was thoroughly enjoying it when I heard him say: “Go ahead and take her down the road. It’ll be a miracle if she speeds up.” I looked over to Dad to get permission, and headed down his driveway. On the way back, I managed to get the mare into a smooth canter. When we were done, I asked the man how much he wanted, and I instantly felt like a load of bricks had been dropped on my head when he named the price. How in the world is an eleven year old girl supposed to have nine hundred dollars? When I asked why, I also found out why the mare was so obese. She was pregnant, due to foal in the spring. Now I was more excited than ever. Not only could I get a horse, but a foal as well. But the words “Nine hundred dollars.” kept echoing through my mind incessantly.

After much prayer and talking with my Dad, we came to an agreement. He would pay half of the price for the mare on one condition: He got the foal. I agreed to his terms, knowing it would take too long for me to save the rest of nine hundred dollars. I quickly dialed the owner’s number and told him I would like to buy the black mare. Over the course of a few months, I had her completely paid off. The man brought my horse to me the next day. I asked him what he called the mare, and he told me that she had no name. As a little girl, I thought that was dumb. Why would someone have a horse with no name? I promptly named her ‘Belle’.

I have had Belle for over five years now, and she has taught me so many things. Among the things she has taught me are responsibility, patience, and friendship. I had many trials when I first got her. She wounded herself terribly, so it was up to me to make sure the wound stayed clean. After she healed, I cared for her as she gave birth to a beautiful black and white filly, among many other things. I also discovered that while she was a very sweet mare, she hadn’t been ridden as much as she should have been. After a few disciplinary lessons that sometimes left me on the ground, she finally realized that I was in charge. Now, we have bonded in a way that is nearly indescribable. When I go out to spend time with her, she will stand between me and the other horses, sometimes baring her teeth and snapping at them if they should dare to get too close. I’ve never had a closer friend than her. Belle has also taught me to work hard to get what I want, that in order to achieve one’s goals, one must put forth an effort.

---

Spoiler! :
Here's a picture of Belle. She doesn't look quite black because this was taken at the beginning of the summer, when the sun was starting to bleach her coat.Image
Last edited by MiddleEarthGal on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It isn't schizophrenia when you write about the voices in your head and get it published. That's talent.
"I have figured out what C.E.O. stands for: It means Caveman, with an Ego, who is Obese." -Jase Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm
scfdx says...

Wow, amazing story. Only the thought about a little girl making her dream come true, i barely have words to describe how am I appriciate you.

personally, I'd say your story is lovely, and I enjoyed reading it.
keep writing, you've got it :wink: .

lastly:

You said this was an essay for school. Well if I had been your teacher, I'd give you A++ and an essay exemption for the rest of year!

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Dragongirl says...

Bravo! Loved this! I was smiling and laughing the whole way through. I also found this easy to relate to. I mean, what little girl hasn't wanted a horse? I always check out the horse section in the classifides first, just purely from habit.
I absolutely love this line. Hilarious.
Needless to say, I was about the biggest sucker around.

Thank goodness for dads to keep us from selling our souls for a grape, or in this case, a not so great horse. ;)
The only line I might not have put in was this one.
even if it was a quarter that I found in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this line just that it is unnecessary. The piece would get alone fine without it. Plus, who finds a quarter in the Wal-Mart parking lot? The most I've ever pick up from that place was a wad of gum that stuck to the bottom of my shoe. ;)
But I don't think that you need to make any changes, really 'cause this is great.
Keep it up. ~DG
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind