z

Young Writers Society

Don't get me started on...

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm
IsItLove says...

Don’t get me started on role models.

These days I am left questioning myself about what a role model actually is; a good example? Because that’s not what I see these days. What I see is thirteen year olds strutting around emulating Paris Hilton’s ostentatious behaviour. I am lost on why young people chose to look up to her pretentious example frequently surprises me. Why is it that these overdressed, overly obsessed, overly celebrities are seen to be good role models for easily influenced young girls.

There are plenty of eminent and empowering women who every day do great, selfless things. There are so many people around us: teachers, sports women even, dare I say it, your mother. In this age of modern technology there are abundant amounts perfect role models who set impeccable examples for young girls. So why then is it that when questioned 44% of girls could name more WAGs than female politicians? The answer is the media. It is the biggest culprit for advertising the inappropriate examples.

In 2007 British website developer, Abi Moore, was so horrified after the publicity scandal produced by the media surrounding the incarcerating of Paris Hilton she decided to create “Pink Stinks”; a website devoted to finding appropriate role models for young girls that influence their lives beneficially.

Suddenly it seems you have to be rich, famous and beautiful to be a role model. This leaves us asking the question why aren’t people that have achieved great things, taken risks, done something amazing, challenged stereo types or overcome huge odds role models? I’m not, and I am sure nobody else is saying you have to be a saint to be a role model because you don’t. If that’s what everyone was looking for we would be on a wild goose chase. Or even worse we would build people up to be heroes (or heroines) then when all of a sudden the nasty skeleton comes rolling out of the closest everyone is let down. I think the most important thing is to just admit you mistakes and say sorry and learn from it. What else can you do? Nothing. If young people are presented with these kinds of role models they might start to believe in themselves a little more, and you never know this might lead to great things; a little ambition maybe, or it could give them the inspiration to do great things that they could easily do if only they were taught to believe.

Everyone has the ability to shine; some just need a bit of polish.
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:33 pm
View Likes
artsy says...

Very true. I think most people do know this is an issue, but I do not know what is actually being done by this.

Not that I am disagreeing with your article-because I severely support at what you are getting at-but sometimes close influences like parents and friends are not really good ones. I am very lucky, because I have parents that I can look up to with pride and think, "I want to be just like them and make them proud." But there are some people who have parents who actually, genuinely do not even care if their child is eating healthy or not. Everyone is different and has their own, unique reaction to stimuli such as this. Some ignore it and know it is wrong, others honestly can not tell the difference between good and bad. Most of the time it is the little things, other times, bigger issues.

If all parents and friends were good ones, the percentage of girls who could name more WAGs than actual female role-models would be decreasing every year, no matter how little. The only thing we can do is just help prepare future generations from succumbing to this moral depression the media has tried to suck us all into.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:37 am
Island6 says...

This reminds me of a topic we were discussing in school the other day, how the world has a misconception on the word "beautiful". How you have to be skinny, and pretty to be successful and that's totally not true. When I was 10 my "role-model" was Miley Cyrus. I wanted to be just like her, and look how she turned out!

Anyways, I love this article, because it sums up my thoughts perfectly :] If only the world was this wise...
<3

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid