z

Young Writers Society

The Book that Influenced my Life Most

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:59 pm
qtpie212 says...

I love to write and always wanted to have a profession that involved the creative and aesthetic aspects of language. For a short period of time I hoped to be a literature teacher or professor but later realized my true passion was actually writing, not reading and grading other people’s writings. Soon after, I aspired to be a famous poet; one who would win the Nobel Prize and have her works revered by the public and scholars alike. I still hope to win the Nobel Prize, but after reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, earning the Pulitzer Prize became my primary goal. Nineteen Minutes enlightened me about the long lasting effects of words and the power they have. It encouraged me, an aspiring journalist, to strive to clarify the major global dilemmas of our world in the most accurate, unbiased, and honorable way possible.
Nineteen Minutes describes the life of teenager, Peter Houghton, and the decision he makes to mark his pain and humiliation. As early as six years old, Houghton was teased and bullied. As the years passed, the mockery became more cantankerous and brutal. Although the bullies considered their jabs and jeers to be harmless, Houghton was severely hurt and ultimately lashed out in a school shooting.
I remember the series of thoughts that rushed through my mind immediately after finishing the novel. It was well past midnight and before reaching over to shut the light in my room, I took a deep breath, finally understanding the severe power of the human language. I wiped away a few tears and shook my head in disappointment; I was overcome with disbelief that such a tragedy needed to awaken me to this painstakingly obvious message. Unfortunately most people, like me, tend to forget that words are the most prevailing tools of mankind. Since they are so accessible, we take them for granted. This novel inspired me to look deeply into myself in order to be more cognizant and mindful of my words. Although I never deliberately bully anyone, it is possible that a phrase I view as undamaging can affect another person gravely.
Although first discouraged by the plausible destruction speech can bring, I soon realized that it can also be used as a positive instrument. It can be used to bring a smile to one’s face, compassion to one’s heart and clarity to one’s world. Since language is such a compelling tool, I immediately decided to take advantage of this gift and use my words to make a positive effect on others through honest, unbiased journalism.
I was fortunate to obtain an internship at a local newspaper and learned the first of what I hope will be many journalistic life lessons. At my interview, the newspaper editor asked me if the name of a local boy who committed suicide should be mentioned in the paper’s coverage of the issue or should he remain anonymous. My initial thought was, “Yes, of course.” But immediately after I remembered that once out, words can never be taken back. Would the family appreciate the gratuitous publication of their personal tragedy? Is it necessary for the world to know the boy’s name? In the end I answered with a simple “No, I would not publish the name.” The editor smiled at me and told me that that was exactly what he hoped I would say. He explained that the name added no substantial information to the general public and would only cause the family pain and embarrassment. Although journalism is meant to present unbiased facts, journalists must be mindful of how they will affect those they write about and weigh each fact to determine if it is appropriate, necessary, and germane.
Verbal and written communications are strong and influential devices that can make eternal effects in one’s personal life as well as the global community. It has powers for the negative as well as the positive and therefore must be chosen vigilantly. The book Nineteen Minutes addresses this lesson and inspires me to take it upon myself to choose my words with care so that I can make a difference in the world for the better.

***Please critique as much as you possibly can. I really want to improve this essay and make it more enjoyable for the reader. Thanks!!!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 pm
hunterXkira says...

This was wonderfully written, and I'm having a hard time finding anything wrong with it- except for the conclusion, which I found to be a bit drab next to the rest of the essay.

Now don't get me wrong, the conclusion was well written, and would pass with flying colors- but it lacks the energy, the passion, that the majority of the essay had.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how one would go about fixing this, so I can't really give you any suggestions.
{Pray to your god, open your heart. Whatever you do, don't be afraid of the dark. Cover your eyes, the devil's inside. One night... of the Hunter.}

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm
View Likes
qtpie212 says...

Verbal and written communications lend us strength where there is none. In the end, it is up to us to determine whether that strength will be used for the negative or positive. I will vigilantly try to use my gift of speech for the better, as well as try to influence others to do the same, because one more occurrence, like that of Nineteen Minutes, is a pitiful loss for the entire global community.

***replacement of the last paragraph

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:20 pm
hunterXkira says...

qtpie212 wrote:Verbal and written communications lend us strength where there is none. In the end, it is up to us to determine whether that strength will be used for the negative or positive. I will vigilantly try to use my gift of speech for the better, as well as try to influence others to do the same, because one more occurrence, like that of Nineteen Minutes, is a pitiful loss for the entire global community.

***replacement of the last paragraph

YES YES YES YES YES YES OH MY GOD.

This.

THIS.

It's perfect!!!
{Pray to your god, open your heart. Whatever you do, don't be afraid of the dark. Cover your eyes, the devil's inside. One night... of the Hunter.}

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott