z

Young Writers Society

Coming Out as a Human

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:39 pm
beccalicious94 says...

Preface: This is a personal essay I am writing for admissions to university. In this essay I really wanted who I am to come out, and I hope it did. Additionally, it is around 800 words and it should be around 500; any suggestions to cut it down are appreciated. Of course, all constructive criticism is welcome. Happy reading!

The biggest risk I ever took was going to a pizza store on a Friday after school.

Thanks to a mutual friend, James and I found ourselves in Union Square: James with his slice of pepperoni pizza and me sheepishly leafing through a plastic container of overpriced lettuce. My teachers from the solely Jewish, conservative yeshiva I attended for nine years would have scolded me had they known I was entering a non-kosher eatery, and on the eve of the Sabbath of all times!

I was going against everything I had known my entire life, but I felt at the time it was necessary to know what it was like to be a regular teenager by actually experiencing it. I was committed to finding out the truth about what I had been sheltered from for so many years. I came to public school for this very reason… how could I deny myself this opportunity for personal exploration?

Well, I got exactly what I asked for. After talking with James in Starbucks about the fundamentals of religion, its practicality in the modern world, and the current state of Israel in foreign affairs, I had met my match. For the first time, my views were truly questioned and I had to defend both to James and to myself why I believed what I did; the “I was brought up this way” answer was not going to suffice anymore. That was the day when I knew we needed to be friends, for I had never been able to discuss religion, politics, and theory with anyone in such depth before. I would make the friendship work despite our differing views.

Our friendship was blossoming, but I soon had to decide whether it was becoming a rose with thorns or thorns with a rose. One night, the friend I had known so closely told me he was gay; the first gay person I had ever knowingly encountered.

This was no grand revelation on a mountain. A mutual friend had told me in advance so as to lessen the blow, and prevent an overreaction to the news. The painful truth about this time was that I couldn’t accept it. How could someone I liked so much identify himself with something that I learned and thought was immoral? I didn’t think he was any less of a person for being gay, but I still didn’t see how this was a positive thing. How could someone I cared about so deeply have such a flawed moral compass? James’ needle was fine, mine however, wasn’t. How could I pride myself on having such high morals when I was being so judgmental? It wasn’t a matter of validating homosexuality or not, it was me being unnecessarily closed minded to a concept that was new to me, and judging feelings that were part of a person.

I truly learned to understand James and homosexuality in general by spending more time with him and learning about how he felt. I sat in my room pondering and realized that it did not matter. So what if he liked other boys? He was one of the nicest and most selfless people I ever met. He was the same person who had been there for me, who had made me laugh and helped me get through the darkest of days—the days of anxiety over lots of work and little sleep, coping with a friend’s suicide attempt, and not fitting in with many of my classmates. He taught me how to act pragmatically when situations are less than ideal, and that the things that need to get done will get done, for they must. James was the person who had so much admired my personal choices, as I dressed and acted differently from my peers and in that same way I learned to appreciate him being who he is: proud, and fearless in the face of opposition. I was becoming more socially aware, but stopped caring so much about not fitting in; I realized that I, like James, was born to stand out and make a difference.

After accepting James’ sexual orientation, I realized just how critical the other people in my life were about homosexuality. It is unfortunately commonplace to hear homophobic slurs in the hallways. Until meeting James, I never thought anything of it. Now, upon hearing one, I say something--both because it is offensive and because I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. A youth group friend asked me how I was becoming more religious if I had a gay best friend--the two were mutually exclusive in his mind. But for me, this was not at all hypocrisy. By learning to accept people who are different from me and relate to their hardships, I have become a better human being and thus feel closer to the entity that created us all.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 am
View Likes
artsy says...

Brilliant essay. I really have nothing to say about the deduction of words; I have the same problem with writing essays. One thing I would like to point out was this...

Our friendship was blossoming, but I soon had to decide whether it was becoming a rose with thorns or thorns with a rose. One night, the friend I had known so closely told me he was gay; the first gay person I had ever knowingly encountered.

A piece of information like this is very sudden (for lack of a better word). And after you stated that your friend, James, had come out and told you that he was gay, you never really stated which relationship you two had: rose with thorns or thorns with a rose. Even though it is obviously stated as you continue to read the essay, I think you should be more direct right away with this sentence.

Also, when you reveal to us that James told you that he was gay, it might be better if you either eased into it or took a complete U-turn. Say as in, talking about how you noticed that you did not talk about dating and relationships (or did constantly, you know the specifics of your relationship with him) and how it surprised you that he told you he was gay. The tidbit of a mutual friend telling you that he was gay beforehand of James 'fessing to you is a little unwelcome, at least to me anyway. I do not really know if that is really based on my opinion of telling friends your sexual orientation or simply because it does not fit or feel right, but that is me for you. :3

Maybe if you said something as, "While we were (insert activity happening right before he told you), he said he was gay." kind of like more like "in your face" information. But this is just how I would do it.

Now that I have harped on that one piece of information, let us get to the praise.

My teachers from the solely Jewish, conservative yeshiva I attended for nine years would have scolded me had they known I was entering a non-kosher eatery, and on the eve of the Sabbath of all times!

I could see the last part of the sentence to be either disbelief or sarcasm. But, either way, well written, even if it is simple.

For the first time, my views were truly questioned and I had to defend both to James and to myself why I believed what I did; the “I was brought up this way” answer was not going to suffice anymore.

You let people see you more in depth when they read this. You have always known that way of living and for someone to question such a thing...well, it is not right! The way you combined the realization that you would have to have a more realistic look on your religion when you talk about it and the slight fascination of how James was questioning you was interesting. It was constructed well and, like I said before, you give the readers a new depth into your experience and your journey into your life.

I realized that I, like James, was born to stand out and make a difference.

I absolutely loved the way you described your realization that you could give yourself permission to be who you are.

I have become a better human being and thus feel closer to the entity that created us all.

I probably like this little part of a sentence mainly because I am pretty spiritual about creation, death, life, and jank like that. This was purely selected from personal opinion; it is a good ending to a well written essay.

Overall, you did great. I loved the topic and the way you made it work. The only problem I had trouble understanding or had suggestions on was that James telling you that he was gay, which was described in detail above. Again, great job, you did awesome. I can not really help you in word count, other than use contractions, but you may not be allowed...

I suck at essay writing, so I envy your skills. Keep writing. :]
~artsy
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 pm
View Likes
Fatima says...

I had to defend both to James and to myself why I believed what I did.
this line clearly states that you are a normal human being, having the on going conflict with our mind and heart.

Our friendship was blossoming, but I soon had to decide whether it was becoming a rose with thorns or thorns with a rose.Seriously, this line is one of the coolest I’ve read on yws.

And this is truly a thought provoking essay, this relates to your upbringing, the challenges you had to go through and the discoveries you made about yourself. However, if I was to find a fault with this, I would say it kind of lacks humour, and looks robotic. I mean, it looks too constructed.
Still, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and hope the college finds your writing pleasant.

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

beccalicious94 wrote:The biggest risk I ever took was going to a pizza store on a Friday after school. i think it works better if you put the Friday after 'after school' But THEN,I guess there are grammar rules on adjectives that I've long forgotten. :)

My teachers from the solely Jewish, conservative yeshiva I attended for nine years I think the description here is too long, you lose attention. Maybe mwntion the whole thing somewhere else. Just keep it at Jewish Yeshiva herewould have scolded me had they known I was entering a non-kosher eatery, and on the eve of the Sabbath of all times!

I know I was going against all I'd learnt, but I wanted to experience an ordinary teenage life. This is exactly why I'd come to public school, I needed to see the reality I'd always been sheltered from.
I tried to make it shorter, and in the process it's lamer too.:P But your sentences are too long sometimes.

I was becoming more socially aware, but stopped caring so much about not fitting in; I realized that I, like James, was born to stand out and make a difference.This sentence was great

By learning to accept people who are different from me and relate to their hardships, I have become a better human being and thus feel closer to the entity that created us all.Another good statement.

So on an overall, the idea was great and since I've read some of your old stuff, I felt the repetition and this is sort of like all your other essays put together. But the thing is, you talk more abt him, yes you relate it to yourself, but then James feels like subject and you object, Just being honest and trying to help. And then, I know this probably sounds weird to you and I felt this too in some of the reviews I get but I guess when you obsess on one thing too much- it seems to be fleeting. I read abt you, but I don't feel you. I guess the difference is when you talk abt yourself, you're just telling me. The way you used to write before, even the first one on James- you weren't so into talking about yourself. I felt you rather than hear abt you. This essay was good but you've written more epic stuff, and I know you can do better. Being honest, don't mind. I loved your personal writing style and now you feel more general. Hope I've helped. :D
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:00 pm
hermes92 says...

Great! That is a heartwarming story about how you came to terms with yourself and gays. The guy in your story had influenced you by showing you that everyone is different. I had so many similar experiences to yours where i have learned to come to terms with my individuality.We should celebrate individuality in every way every single day.
Everything that happens has a meaning behind it

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin