z

Young Writers Society

Why Books Are Wonderful

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:58 pm
WebzTycoon says...

Do you like to read? I like to read. I love reading! Reading is one of my favorite passions. I like cozieing up next to a fire in the middle of winter, wrapped in a warm blanket drinking hot chocolate, with a good book in my hands and a great adventure I can dive into. Or maybe its a warm, rainy summer day, and you can hear the rain tap on the windows like fingures. If you don't like reading, I understand. It's not everyones thing. But if you don't like reading, you might not like this article because A. it's about books, and B. you'll have to read...

But if you do like reading, I think you'll love reading my article. I hope you do, at least ^_^ Anywho, where was I? Oh, right. Books!

I think the first thing we all love about books, and the reason why we read them, is because they tell stories. For those of you who read, you're probably like me, and often day dream about having fantastical adventures, swordfighting with a masked, top hatted bad guy, to save a princess, (or a prince, in some cases). We live very repeptietive, mundane lives, and so books to us our like short vacations into the immagination, where antyhing can happen. (I mean it, literally anything can happen) they anwser our burning what if questions, let us go places we've never been, and give us insight into a life and realm full of possibilities.

And what makes reading better than T.V. in case you where wondering, is that reading builds the imagination muscles, as the reader and the author have to work together to imagine and peice together the story. Sometimes you get to even take part in the adventure. (another great thing about books, btw) While watching T.V. You see everything happen before your eyes, your not really "apart" of makeing it come alive.

Second. Books are each unique in their own, special way. They can be similar to one another, no doubt, but they are all somehow different from one another. like snowflakes and finger prints. In fact, you could say books are a lot like people. Which may be why we relate to them so well. They each have their own personalities, and different writing style, causing each reader to have their own specific taste.

Finally, books, reading, and writing, are something anyone with the gift of being able to read and write, can share. It's a community of people who interact with each other through these stories and share their opinions about them, whether it is you, the author, the reader, or that weird old granny book club who meet once a week down at the coffee shop. It really is, and something anyone can be apart of. Books are the connections, the currency, the ideas, the trade, and the people who read them created a web of ideas and stories that are forever interconnected with one another.

Think of it this way. I read the book Harry Potter. How many of you reading this have read at least one of the seven books? A lot of you, probably. Now how many have read the Phantom Tollbooth? Not as many. But that's okay (good book by the way) but I have one friend I know whos read it. We share books quite often. But the sometimes, she reads books I don't care for, but another one of her friends absolutely loves. And it continues on from there. In my eyes, books are more than mere stories written down on paper. They are what connect us with one another (well, readers anyway) They create bonds, connections. People recomend books to one another, discuss them with one another, book clubs form, book orginzation s are created. And you share a connection with the author two, as they (obviousl) are readers too. I love it when people try to figure out their favorite, which people like better, which books are good for what mood. There are so many possibilies, connections, and so on to describe. You just have to read.

So if you haven't started reading yet, I highly recommend it. It's fun ^_^ And you become apart of a web that streteches across the nation, possibly the world, into every elemteray, middle, highschool, collage, work place, or home. :P Plus....you don't need the internet.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:53 pm
ShootingStars says...

Hey! This is Shooting Stars here to review!
Here's just a few things to think about:
1) When writing, the very first line is the most important. It sucks readers in or turns them away. I'm on the fence on wether or not I like yours, because it needs a little sprucing up.
2) I noticed many spelling and grammatical errors, but those can be fixed easily. Simply read over your passage again and have another person you know do the same.
3) For the most part the content is okay, but with a persuasive article like this you need more information to back up your opinions.
Overall I liked it, but it does need some work. Great job and never give up!
---Shooting Stars
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 pm
AlfredSymon says...

A big "Hello!" to you! Books are wonderful! And so is reading! Whether we read old yellowed novels or environmentally published references, the wonder of the word will strike. I love books myself. It's my life: to dive in different worlds, or if possible, even in our world, too, but in a much intriguing state. Hey, it's me, Alfred Symon to give a Quick Critique!

Concept & Theme: :D :D :D :D :D
I can't say no more, books are books! Five whole points! Although, I think that the part where you said 'If you don't like reading...' is unnecessary because were all writers here, and all writers read. But if this is for the public, then, ne'er mind my comment!

Technicalities: :D :D :D
Foremost, I think your Topic Sentence (First sentence) is a bit too simple. Posting a question does add up, but it lacks more impact. A thesis statement or an anecdote will work wonders! Also, check these out:
tap on the windows like fingures

No 'fingures' in my handy Merriam-Webster Dictionary! If you meant 'figures', it still lacks some sense, so get some on it!
It's not everyones thing

Punctuation please! Although, I think you should just use 'everybody' instead of 'everyone', just for clarity.
makeing

Making...
Second.

No period.
Okay, so let's not expand this comment anymore! Let's just say you made some more 'speeling', 'grammatical and 'p,un.tua!tion?' errors within this document. There are more to say, but I'd rather not point them out... My advise: use a word processor before posting your works. Not only does it checks your grammar, it also checks punctuation and spelling. I'm sure you have one! Almost every computer does!

Presentation of Idea: :D :D :D :?
Okay, so let's just say you presented your love of books brilliantly. But you didn't actually leave anything to think about. How about adding some tie-ups, defenses, debate points or humor to make it more interesting. Add some color splash!

Overall: :D :D :D :) :)
You did a great job here. There are a lot to be pointed out in the Technicalities area though, but your concept saved this essay from dropping the Smile-o-meter. Try to follow my advise. Although I'm not the best writer out there, I know everyone has their own opinion, and I have too.

I'm a reader.

Your Quick Critic,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang