Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo April 24: Fairytale

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Okay! So this thread will mainly be for accountability's sake, as I don't have any specific word count goals.

Original NaNo thread

Looking back, I would say where the novel ended up is pretty in line with my original vision, only more developed, as these things often are.

Goals for draft two (and the things I'm struggling with in getting there)

- Lean into the epistolary nature of the novel, including more news headlines, script excerpts, etc

- Finish and complete the Ryan chapter and ending. I've realized, as soon as I introduced him, his presence is what the story was missing. He's one of the most important people in Olive's life and the story should reflect that.

- I've been working a lot on the Nate/Dawson Gold tour chapter when she's their opener, and it feels like the storyline has come to its conclusion yet I still want Olive and Kerry to interact somehow. She's 10 at the time of this tour and if Olive doesn't see her again until she's 17 I think it could make the passage of time hit that much more.

- Lean more into the relationships between Olive and Erik (her brother) and Isaac (her first love/ex boyfriend( to show not just their age difference but him being black and her being white affects their relationship and ultimate breakup

- Make Joan's bisexuality come up somehow during Rebecca and Kate and track their friendship from ~1999 to present day. Also, I say Joan and Olive go their separate ways after reconciling at the 1999 Oscars. But if Joan and Mia (her partner) move to Connecticut they'd be closer to Olive and Ryan in NYC.

I was also thinking that when Olive and Ryan get married it doesn't track that her family and Joan etc wouldn't be there, unless they end up eloping. Olive is definitely someone who always imagined the fairytale wedding in a church but she could decide she loves Ryan so much she just want to be married to him. That could further cause tension!

--
Those are the main things. A part of me feels like I just need to show the novel to people and get torn to shreds, but even if I do what I need to I'll at least have a solid baseline to start getting feedback.

Also, I was listening to a podcast that was talking about narrative distance, and considering I'm writing it as a bio things are a bit zoomed out. That being said, I do think that distance works for this piece, it's just a matter of maximizing its impact.

*rolls up sleeves*

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
I take a deep breath and force myself to get out of my car.

I’m struck by the man who greets me at the door. I’d recognize his face anywhere, but his hair is almost entirely gray. He sees me staring and catches on.

“Oh, the hair,” he says, his southern drawl unmistakable. “It’s been happening going on ten years now.” His accent is a stark reminder of who he is when cameras aren’t rolling. Of course, his real voice was never a mystery to anyone, but it’s all too easy either to forget or to not want to remember.

“What about Ghostlight?” I ask, thinking of his Oscar-worthy turn as the alcoholic artistic director of a struggling theater. To this day, I can’t believe he’s never won the trophy.

“I was dyeing it then. At a certain point, you stop fighting,” he says with a smile.
His hair was still his signature chocolate brown then.

As he leads me in, tells me about the ranch, about how he’s most at peace when he’s drinking his coffee in the morning out on the expansive patio, reading a good book, and watching the sunrise.

He serves us homemade mint iced tea. “So, Ghostlight. Did it help?”

"What you mean?” He asks.

I turn pale, suddenly embarrassed at having to explain myself. “Olive. Did playing an alcoholic help you understand what Olive was going through?”

“Well, sure," Ryan says, handing me a tea and sitting on the couch opposite me. “From day one, I knew she never meant to hurt anyone. Least of all me.”

I take a sip of my tea as I think about to say next.

Ryan beats me to it. "What's your goal in writing this book, Angie?”

It might be imagination, nerves, or something in between, but I could swear his tone is accusatory. I remind myself of what Olive told me and know it’s not personal. After the media tired of the Cole Hargrove affair story, the daggers turned to Ryan. How dare he leave the mother of his child when she needed him the most. Still, I rush to defend myself. “I just think people would be more inspired by her... and maybe have a little bit of a healthier relationship with the artists they love if they knew her full story. If they knew she got to where she is because of, not despite, her being a flawed human being like the rest of us.”

Ryan purses his lips, and his eyes go distant for a moment. After a moment, he nods. "Yeah, I understand that.”

More silence. I freeze up, definitely in the process forgetting how to speak.

“I’m not interested in bashing her, if that's what you're looking for,” Ryan says.

I shake my head.

Olive and Ryan's song:
phpBB [media]

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:50 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Yay for accountability!! Best of luck this Camp, Elinor!! ^^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:00 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

It sounds like you have a solid plan!! & you always seem to hit your nano goals, so I have no doubt you'll make this happen! Looking forward to seeing how it develops <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:34 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

I find your ideas so neat truly! Good luck with the second draft!!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:55 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Wooooo! Another editing goal! Good luck! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:10 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Don't know how we got to March 31st already but here goes. I've already done some of this work, but I also came to the epiphany, which I'll repost below.

Spoiler! :
Because of the variations in everyone's ages, this would be literally impossible to adapt into film, because some people could reprise their roles, others couldn't and it'd just be a mess. It'd be one thing if it was its own self-contained story, because it's a duet I'd want there to be some consistency and overlap.

I know I shouldn't base things entirely on film potential, BUT:

I think part of the reason I made Angie the writer in the first place was because she was the only one to have the connections to make the book so young and the only reason anyone gives her any time of day is because she's Cole Hargrove's sister in law. Her being pushing 40 and settled/domestic isn't quite working in the way I intended it to. She also has a subplot where she has a passion project script she wants to make (she is established to be a filmmaker in AOY) that nobody cares about, and she perhaps thinks writing the book will be a step forward.

Amelia (Olive and Ryan's daughter) being 17 is also problematic because she is old enough to understand what is going on but has no autonomy in the story. I don't think she says a word. If she was 2, and I set in the bio writing in 2007, everything might make a little bit more sense, and it'd give it a little more sense of immediacy.

This story actually has more in common with Daisy Jones and the Six than even All Our Yesterdays does, and I know they had to make a similar change (moving the doc framing to the 90s) for a similar reason, but it's also different enough that it's fine.

My only concern with moving up the timeline is that writing about the 90s from the perspective of the mid-2000s might make everything seem more immediate in a story that needs narrative distance, but I suppose it'd still be possible, because even if it's 2007-08 Olive's start in the late 80s would still be 20 years off.

... This would mean I'm going to have to rewrite from page one, but it might be what I have to do.

The other problematic thing about the framing as it stands is that we see Cole, Marcy, Eileen and Maura in their 40s in All Our Yesterdays and I wouldn't cast different actors for those scenes, but it wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly be different in this one.

Either way, even it starts in 2005/06, the book could still take years to finish. Angie could run into Olive and Amelia out somewhere in Los Angeles and that could possibly spur her interest in the book, and make her interest in Olive and Ryan's love story a little bit more immediate because right now it feels like the book just happens because it needs to, where it needs to be a little bit more organically spurred.

This month is going to be super low-stress for me. I think I'm onto something with changing the framing, as well as blending Ryan's arc a little bit more into the main story.

I will keep you all updated.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:21 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Rewrote the prologue today. My direction here is probably going to necessitate a Chapter 1 from Angie's POV before I get into the bio itself. Really, this is going to pretty much be a page one rewrite but so far I like the direction I'm on. And I like the idea of it being more immediate, it makes it feel like more of a direct tie-in that's both sequel and prequel.

A short excerpt (some swearing here and spoilers for the end of All Our Yesterdays if you don't want that)

Spoiler! :
“I come here to think,” Olive says. “I feel like I’m on sacred ground whenever I’m here.” She opens her mouth to say more, but she must realize if she do, the jig will be up.

I admit it first. “Olive, my name’s Angie, I’m a big fan of yours.”

Olive gives me a tired smile.

I get out of the car, take my soda, and join her at the side of the Laurel Canyon Country Store. “I saw you perform in the Macy’s show,” I said, “a couple of years ago.”
 I’d think that being beside her would stir more feelings within me, but something about talking her comes so naturally, so easy.
 Olive laughs. “Oh, god.”

“My girlfriend, she’s Cole Hargrove’s younger sister,” I say. Normally I don’t like to brag about this fact or bring it up unprompted. But, since Olive knows Cole, maybe she’ll know that she can trust me.

“No, shit,” Olive says. “Small fucking world.”

She sniffles again. “Yeah, Kelsey’s just making sure he’s not alone, so.”

“Did it really happen in the way they said?” Olive asks. “I haven’t talked to Cole in months, so I wouldn't know.”

“I guess,” I admit.

Olive shakes her head and takes another drink. “Well, I’m disappointed in him.”

I say nothing.

She looks at my soda bottle and laughs. “Aren’t we cool, Angie? Drinking soda at 6 o’clock on Halloween night?”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” I say.

I realize that she must be so lonely. I see it in her eyes. I can’t be talking to Kate McGill, Isabel Silver, Joan Rooney’s best friend, the singer-songwriter of “Lovesick”, “Cinderella”, and so many more. That woman has always inhabited a rarified air, one I’ve never been worthy enough to share a planet with, much less a friendly chat over a soda.

“What is it you do, Angie?” Olive finally asked. “Cole Hargrove’s…”

I can tell she wants to say sister-in-law, and the thought makes my cheeks flush.

“Cole Hargrove’s sister’s girlfriend must have some artistic streak,” she says with a tired smile.

“I’m a filmmaker,” I say. “A writer, too.”

Olive asks if I’m working on anything.

I think of Annalise and how I still can’t get the character designs right. I want to tell her, but I stop short.

The strange interaction ends. “If you ever need a friend in the city, let me know.”

I don’t realize until I’m driving home that there’s no way for me to let her know.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:33 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Well, as I mentioned on my wall, I accidentally lost my draft, and unfortunately, my most recent backup doesn't have the rewritten prologue. That being said, I think this is a sign I need to start working on my changes in a fresh draft. I can always go back and add what I've already written as need be, but hoping this will be the push I need.

I've written about 1k total just jumping around, but mostly in Ryan's chapters. We'll see how this goes. I'm definitely making progress and not trying to force anything, just let this novel come together as it will. I think I'm definitely on the right track!

-- Walt Disney

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

That is so devastating! Argh! But I'm glad you're taking it well...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Snoink It's not a huge deal, I got the rest of the draft back, so it was only the rewritten prologue, so 2-3 pages. (Believe me, if it was the whole draft, I'd be a lot more upset).

I've about 1.2k in the fresh draft, and I'll add the new stuff first I think and then focus on updating everything else. Working on it so far has definitely helped me look at things with a fresh mind. It's super lowkey for me this month anyway. :)

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:36 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Wrote about 300 words this evening. It's not nearly as much progress as I would have liked, but stuff is coming together slowly but surely. Mostly just restructuring/rewriting the end in a solid way as that's going to change the most vividly. After that, I think I'm going to take it chapter by chapter, smoothing out the flow and editing as I go. I've got this! I also think once AOY isn't looming over my head to quite the same degree I'll have a fresher mind to work on this. It'll all come together in the way it's supposed to. :)

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I was out and about today, but I wrote a fair bit in my notebook, and typing it all up meant that even more ideas came into my head. I'm frustrated I haven't had more time to work on this, but I'm hoping once I finally lock and finalize All Our Yesterdays I can move my focus to this and really create something great. The changes I'm making I think are going to be even *more* of a page one rewrite than I was anticipating, but I think it's going to be worth it.

A little section...

Spoiler! :

Comments (987)

I scroll past countless comments. I know it’s there. Unless it’s deleted. It can’t be. I left it up. As I do, they mostly blend together, but a few exchanges and individual comments catch my eye.

MillyMoo: Betting $ that she and Cole banged.
sydshergrove: is this even a question? They obviously did. We know Cole's gf aint doing anything for him XDDD
victoria9548: @sydshergrove right??? Imagine u have a choice between Olive and *her* and u choose m*rcy.
sydshergrove: @victoria9548 LMFAO, I hope they get together.
victoria9548: @sydshergrove m*rcy must hav dirt on him I stg. She’s so ugly it makes my eyes hurt
 sydshergrove: @victoria9458 One day he’ll wake up <3333

KieranL: Ryan should demand a paternity test, imo.

Babswalter1939: “The biggest role of our lives.”. The audacity. Typical out-of-touch, Hollywood elite. Everything is a movie to them. Theyre both terrible people.

PhantomBrian: Who cares? Never liked either of them. Our government is starting wars and all you want to do is follow the Marie Antionette School of “Let Them Eat Cake.”
KayleeBaggins: Hollywood has no morals and never has. No wonder these marriages never last I’d like to see them work a 9-5
sydshergrove: @KayleeBagins um u know olive is from a poor family rite??
KayleeBaggins: @sydshergrove So?
PhantomBrian: @sydshergrove Learn to type, child.
sydshergrove: @PhantomBrian im 16 rude
PhantomBrian: @sydshergrove so you’re 10? Got it.

I’m about to give up when a lump forms in my throat. Incredibly, I see it. My old screenname from high school. Memories rush back as I remember what I wrote in 2004, and the replies.

silversallywinchell98: Woooow. Coming to this comment section was a mistake. :/ this is so disrespectful to both of them. None of u literally know what’s going on so maybe just leave them alone?
KayleeBaggins: Lmao. What authority are you?
victoria9548: @sydshergrove lmao get a load of this person.
sydshergrove: @silversallywinchell98 Ryan, is that you?
PhantomBrian: @sydshergrove I think it’s past your bedtime.
EmmyLulu82: @silversallywinchell98 I completely agree with you. I’m wishing them nothing but the best.

After a moment, I close my laptop screen, rub my eyes, and take a moment to listen to the crickets coming from outside. I find my way to the kitchen, pouring myself a large glass of wine as Olive’s words ring in my head.

If you need a friend in the city, let me know. 

I take the receipt she gave with her number out of my pocket. She must really be lonely. I can’t imagine why she'd want to give me the time of day otherwise.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Wrote another page in the prologue today and feeling good. We're moving along.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:43 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Worked more on my new chapter one today, and I basically have to fill in one part of the prologue before it's done. I also worked on the epigraphs for each part. I really like what I did with AOY with the beginning each part being a quote/snippet from an album review or piece of media, so I did the same here.

Basically, what I'm working on right now is the glue or the foundation from what I've already written, so I'll go back and add stuff from the old drafts that were appropriate and fill in with the stuff I need to rewrite. It might take more time than I had initially intended, but I think it's going to be great as it comes together.

And past that, I hope AOY is successful enough for me to justify publishing this. But we'll take it one step at a time!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Whoop-dee-doo.

I can't believe I'm writing this with the month of April already having gotten away from me.

I got about 6 pages of the audiobook recorded before helicopters once again foiled my plan, so I actually working on some writing for this!

I did finish a first draft of the new prologue, and I'm about 5.3k in new stuff (I forget where I started off the month) without having incorporated any of the old stuff into the document yet. That being said, I have been working on a new cover for this, and I don't know if this is the final final but I definitely think I'm a lot closer!

I'm not rushing any of this because I want it to be good. But, if anything I'm closer than I was at the beginning of the month, and that's a great place to start.

I've used the same color scheme, as the AOY cover, just inverted it. I was hesitant about using the same font at first since I picked it because Marcy's a painter, but I also think it evokes Olive's sense of wonder and imagination from her childhood.

I've also officially decided to drop the "Life and Career of Olive Sherman" subtitle since I'm adding so much additional context to the biography. "Fairytale" is a cleaner title anyway.

Either way, I can't wait to have a draft I'm ready to actually share with people.

Spoiler! :

-- Walt Disney

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard