Young Writers Society

Plume's Camp NaNo: July 2022

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:02 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Untitled Pirate Novel

So. Plume does Camp NaNo. Because why not? In truth, I need something to jumpstart my prose writing again. I finished the first draft of my novel and then kind of lost inspiration and didn't write for... wow. We're probably coming up on a year now. Oopsies. I mean, I wrote other stuff, like poetry and short stories, but for some reason, I couldn't commit to something as big as a novel or go back to my old WIP to revise it. I just didn't feel ready (and also had a bit of an identity crisis about whether I was truly a writer and if that was what I wanted to be anymore). So here I am being responsible and accountable and trying to get back into having a WIP that I work regularly on.

Premise/Background

This idea loosely formed into being after reading the Grishaverse novels because I fell in love with them and wanted to replicate the effect they had, except with two of my favorite things added in more liberal quantities: pirates and wlw romance. I still feel like gay fiction and just media in general is dominated by mlm stories, and don't get me wrong, they are totally valid and I love them so much, but I feel like I've yet to see a wlw book that makes the quick-fire list of must-reads for queer fiction. You've got your Aristotle and Dantes, your Carry Ons, your Simon Versus, your Gentleman's Guide, your Heartstopper, etc, but even if they do include wlw relationships, they're not the main focus of the story. That's not to say there aren't amazingly written lesbian love stories out there; I adore the Priory of the Orange Tree and the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. But still. And that's not to say this draft will somehow become the best lesbian book ever written, but it takes every little step to hope that someday it'll be as mainstream as your straight and mlm relationships.

Second point: pirates. I love pirates. So fun. Historical hijinks? Sign me right up. Essentially like a gang but at sea. (Again, you see the Six of Crows influence). And I adore ensemble casts of characters, and sticking people in the middle of the ocean on a wooden vessel is a very effective way to put a bunch of wacky people all in the same place. Originally, I was thinking I'd have a dual POV from either side of the lesbian romance, but now I think I'll have six POVs with characters who will end up in relationships with each other. (Side note: with the whole queer pirates thing, you may be thinking this sounds very similar to Our Flag Means Death. But I swear, I'd been thinking of this way before I ever saw that show.)

Anyways, after that background—here's a very, veeerry vague premise/description. Keep in mind, I'm a pantser by practice, so this is quite hard for me lol.

Long ago, when the golden days of piracy had just begun, the fearsome pirate (insert epic name) ruled the seas until his enigmatic demise. Thousands have searched for the sunken remains of his ship, which carried a vast fortune along with irreplaceable artifacts, but have yet to find the final resting place.

Captain Perry believes she's more than up to the challenge of finding the lost treasure, enticed by the promise of a certain talisman that she believes could lift the curse she's had to deal with for nearly a decade. With her crew that includes an honest first mate, a calculating navigator, a sweet musician, and a pair of royal brothers they pick up along the way, she intends to find the hidden hoard of (epic pirate man), even if it means dying in the process.

Goals

My goal is honestly to just write. We'll say 10,000 words, so a tiny little scene a day. I'm predicting that most of this isn't going to end up in the very hypothetical final draft. I'm just writing to get a sense of the characters and vibe of the story, mostly. And also to try and get back into writing. I want to learn to love the process again.

Now, to actually execute it.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

672 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:39 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 1

Word count: 171
Camp NaNo word count: 171/10000
Total WC: 241

I did it!! Wrote a chunk from the possible first chapter, which ironically is from the POV of none of the characters I wanted to flesh out! I also might've spent the first few paragraphs double entering instead of tab-ing; you can really tell I'm used to writing RP posts on YWS as my only form of writing

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

YAY!!! Welcome back to novel writing! <3

I'm just writing to get a sense of the characters and vibe of the story, mostly. And also to try and get back into writing. I want to learn to love the process again.

An EXCELLENT goal!!

Also, don't know if you have any interest in traditional publication at all (and feel free to disregard if trad pub isn't for you or puts too much pressure on yourself to think about)
Spoiler! :
BUT ever since Our Flag Means Death came out, I've seen numerous literary agents on twitter saying "I want a book like this" (especially YA). Trad pub and acquiring a literary agent is a WILD and UNPREDICTABLE ride, but I just wanted to point out that having some similarities to OFMD isn't necessarily a bad thing. The show was super popular for a reason! :)

But for real, the idea sounds really cool and I wish you the best of luck working on it!!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

672 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:19 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 2

Word count: 423
Camp NaNo word count: 594/10000
Total WC: 664

Spoiler! :
Thanks for the encouragement, @Carlito!! And it's on my bucket list to get traditionally published one day, and the info you provided is definitely good to know!!

672 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:18 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 3

Word count: 175
Camp NaNo word count: 769/10000
Total WC: 839

672 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:32 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 4

Word count: 269
Camp NaNo word count: 1,038/10000
Total WC: 1108

672 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:53 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 5

Word count: 486

Camp NaNo word count: 1524/10000

Total WC: 1594

672 Reviews

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 6

Word count: 105
Camp NaNo word count: 1629/10000
Total WC: 1699

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

My goal is honestly to just write.

Just writing is the most ambitious goal ever! And speaking from experience, it works surprisingly well for NaNo!

Also, the premise of your story sounds like a crazy, adventurous ride (who doesn't love pirates?) and I can already tell that its going to be a lot of fun. Good luck with Camp and your goals!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

672 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:39 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 7

Word count: 184
Camp NaNo word count: 1813/10000
Total WC: 1883

Spoiler! :
@RandomTalks thank you so much!! Good luck to you too!

672 Reviews

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:41 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 8

Word count: 139
Camp NaNo word count: 1952/10000
Total WC: 2022

Spoiler! :
Didn't write anything yesterday (oopsies) cause I was absolutely KNACKERED after a day of wrangling children at a summer camp and I had a bad cold to boot— still sick today but managed to get some writing done, so... yippee?

672 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:47 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 9

Word count: 179
Camp NaNo word count: 2131/10000
Total WC: 2201

672 Reviews

Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:41 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 10

Word count: 206
Camp NaNo word count: 2337/10000
Total WC: 2407

672 Reviews

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:37 am
Plume says...

Day 11

Word count: 229
Camp NaNo word count: 2566
Total WC: 2636

672 Reviews

Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:41 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Day 12

Word count: 444
Camp NaNo word count: 3010
Total WC: 3080

You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.
— Joyce Meyer