Camp NaNo '23: SSED Revisions

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:03 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks, @Liminality! I’m glad to hear planning was effective! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:38 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I think I would also make sure to mention Jasper in some way in the beginning, just to make some sort of foreshadowing of what will eventually happen in the end.

Maybe if you didn't mention it, you could have something like this happens.

SUNNY: Am I the first two you've had another.

ROBERT: Nah, there was someone else before. He stopped a war for us.

SUNNY: Will I stop a war??

ROBERT: Nope.

SUNNY: But then, what will I do?

ROBERT: How so you like debugging???

... or something like that, lol.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:50 am
Spearmint says...

Ooh yeah, that sounds good! Thanks! =D
(SUNNY: Uhh… I mean, I’m great at swatting bugs…)
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:22 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/2: 1.1

Done!
I was able to cut down this chapter part and hopefully make it more consistent with the rest of the novel... I'd been kind of dreading doing the actual revising, but this wasn't so bad. :D

Revised snippet:
It was a scrap of lined paper, seemingly torn out of a notebook. On it was scrawled,

System.out.println("Hello! My name is Robert.");

Sunny glanced at the rock skeptically. "So. Is your name Robert, or is there supposed to be some other human named Robert here?" She glanced around briefly, but her porch seemed to be devoid of beings named Robert.
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:45 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/3: 1.2

Chapter 1's been revised now... Still gotta read it through for wording and flow, but it's looking better, I think!

Sunny considered the houses for a moment, then shrugged. Not all fantasy adventures had to take place in the Middle Ages.
mint, she/her

=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:23 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

...I honestly can't imagine the medieval era very well. No ruining water??? Crazy talk! That's why I placed my story in more of an industrialized setting, haha.

Though now I'm wondering... what would medieval Javaland even look like??? *ponders*

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

245 Reviews

Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:52 pm
Spearmint says...

Ikr?? I wouldn’t survive a day in any century before, like, the 1800s xD
Medieval Javaland… ooh… knights would probably speak code and call it magic?? Interesting… =P
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:37 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/4: 2.1

Ehh... not feeling too great about my work today. I managed to cut a lot of stuff (mainly regarding translation), but my brain was kind of scattered, so not sure how consistent characterization is. Also didn't find a place to work in a conflict yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Sunny had been expecting to learn to wield a sword, become a leader, and defeat some bad guys. Not figure out why code was breaking, or whatever was happening here.
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:35 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/5: 2.2

Pretty minor revisions today. But I've identified a place in chapter 3 where I can escalate things and show off the error problem, so that'll be more work for me tomorrow... >.>

"And then problem two is addition and subtraction, and the third one is division," Adelia sing-songed.
mint, she/her

=D

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:01 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Spoiler! :
Ooh escalation sounds exciting! You're doing great with this revision, mint!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:00 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Escalate! Escalate! Escalate!

245 Reviews

Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:15 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/6: 3.1

Ended up not having as much time as I wanted to write today, but I started the scene?? Will hopefully finish the rest tomorrow, in chapter part 3.2

She started to dream about dancing semicolons and curly braces. But suddenly, streams of red text started floating in from all directions, entangling the punctuation and bringing the dance to a screeching halt. Sunny woke up just as the semicolons started screaming.
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:25 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/7: 3.2.1

Lol, opposite problem today. Spent time writing the scene, but didn't get to finish revising 3.2 as a result (hence the 3.2.1 XD). It should be alright, though; I have some buffer days (at a rate of 1 chapter part a day, it'd only take me 24 days to revise the book, so I have 6 days to spare).

The room was dark, except for a red glow coming from the book Sunny had fallen asleep on. Sunny lifted her head as the book emitted a hissing sound, like air escaping a punctured tire, and ruffled its pages alarmingly.

Lines of red text burst out of the book and flew towards the window in front of Sunny. They slipped through a tiny crack between the window and the wall and floated into the night.

Sunny gasped. “The error descriptions!” She frantically grabbed at more lines of red text that were trying to escape, but they stung her fingers. Sunny gritted her teeth and tried to ignore the pain. But despite her efforts, the red letters kept slipping through, until at last the red glow dimmed to darkness again.
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:22 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/8: nada

Just. Not feeling it today. Ugh, I have so much work to do, but I don't feel like doing any of it. >.< *sighs* I still have 4 buffer days.
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:09 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

4/9: 3.2

Okay, finally finished chapter 3 revisions! ^^ Still need to polish it, though... But I should be okay to move on to chapter 4...

“Oh dear. At this rate, all information on errors will be gone within the month…" [Professor Polly] sighed. “Well, you’d better get started soon, then.”
mint, she/her

=D

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning