Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo April 2023: Angel Astrid

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:39 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 17
I didn't get the chance to write more than a handful of sentences, but I was struck with inspiration by a view I saw out the window at work. Unfortunately, that snippet I wrote from it won't appear until Season 3.

In the meantime, enjoy a little snippet featuring Genevieve (the leader of Team Scorpion and self-proclaimed Angel's rival) from yesterday's writing about mock exam rankings:
Spoiler! :
For context, the ranking reads
1st place: Jhémes Blake
2nd place: Aynnhailleah Astrid
3rd place: Genevieve Ardemore

“What’s going on now? It’s like you all have never seen an exam ranking before.”

The students grew silent and began to part, revealing Genevieve Ardemore. She walked up to the electronic board with a couple of her teammates flanking her on either side. She glanced immediately at the name at the top of the list.

Her expression changed, her eyes widening, and her gaze shifted down to the next two names. After a silence that seemed to last for an eternity, she exploded into laughter, and her teammates joined in with her, though not quite as loud. She laughed and laughed, her face growing red, while the rest of the students, Angel included, watched her nervously. Angel had thought the sinking feeling in her stomach couldn’t get any lower, but now she felt even worse.

Genevieve finally took a long breath and sighed, wiping away a tear. She fought down chuckles as she spoke, projecting her voice for all to hear. “Third place, Genevieve Ardemore. First place, Jhémes Blake.” She then raised an eyebrow and let out a scoffing laugh, smirking at Angel with a taunting gaze. “And second place, Aynnhailleah Astrid! I never thought I’d see the day. It makes getting knocked down a place worth it since poor little Angel has been pushed off her throne.” Normally, Genevieve was ranked in second place on exams, as she always tried her best to beat Angel, to no avail. “Where is Jhémes, anyways? I would love to kiss him right now to thank him for his service.”

“Are you sure it’s not because he’s hot?” someone called out from the back of the crowd. Genevieve whirled around.

“Hey!” she shouted, eyes blazing, and all the students withered under her glare. The ones directly before her flinched at the sharpness and volume of her voice. “You’d better watch yourselves.”
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

81 Reviews

Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:13 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 18
I outlined the storyline of 1.4 and started to write a tiny bit of it. I still haven’t planned the layout of Kennard but I’m sure I can just throw in a couple of landmarks and make most of the conversation Angel’s nosy interview. :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

81 Reviews

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:51 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 19
I got a tiny bit of writing done, but Angel and Jhémes haven’t even made it out of the administrative office yet. :| As an excuse, the office assistant girl decided she was going to get Angel’s attention and started gushing about how she’s been such a big fan for years.

I think I really overestimated my time and abilities to reach my goal, lol

81 Reviews

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:07 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 20
I’m not done for the day yet, of course, but I had some reflections as I decided to outline what the school semesters look like at KA. I feel like my plot would have better direction if I had planned out the school year first, but sometimes you have to just start to find the things that need to be addressed. I also don’t think I would have as much motivation if I had not gone ahead and started writing, so the way things are is a good thing, mostly. Now I can change or add things to my plot and it can be more organized.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:30 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Spoiler! :
Honestly, even if you plan it out (I usually plan out my works somewhat before I begin) there is soooo much that can happen that sometimes it looks completely different from the way I originally envisioned it... and that is a good thing, haha.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

81 Reviews

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:47 am
View Likes
Lael says...

@Snoink you’re right! I think the way things happened for my story so far is the best even if it hasn’t been completely organized yet.

81 Reviews

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:48 am
View Likes
Lael says...

For a continuation of my progress today, Jhémes silently awed/intimidated the girl and pulled Angel out of the office so now they can start the tour.

81 Reviews

Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:19 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 21
I wrote a good chunk today (more than I have been). I also thought more about what direction the story should go in the future seasons. Right now it's mostly humor and school life, but it's probably going to have some darker action/adventure elements later.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:16 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Spoiler! :
Ooh adding more serious elements sounds interesting! I always like a story with both humor and a bit of darkness. I've also been really enjoying the snippets you've been posting, especially the last one with the rankings scene. Keep writing!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

81 Reviews

Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:14 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 22
I was a little occupied today, so I didn't really write. Instead, I transcribed what should become Episode 3.4 later on. Overall, my current progress towards my goal (which I'm sure I probably won't finish) is approximately

- Episode 1: 93%
- Episode 2: 5%
- Episode 3: 24%
- Episode 4: 1%
- Episode 5: 0%

81 Reviews

Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:51 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 24
Did a tiny bit of planning and wrote a couple of sentences.

81 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:15 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 25
I did some more writing today. The tour has begun, and I am thinking about how to best tie in J hinting that A is a Mary Sue before the big dramatic moment where he drops that question.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:53 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
dun dun duuun! =P also, great job almost completing Episode 1! Looks like you're almost a quarter done with this season! =D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

81 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:52 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Spoiler! :
@Spearmint actually, I’m not even sure how long this season is going to be, so I’m probably not even close to 25%, haha. But thanks for supporting me this whole way

81 Reviews

Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:41 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 26
Wrote a little more.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec