Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo '23: A Winter's Funeral

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:40 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Spoiler! :
Haha that excerpt is so relatable. Very funny :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:59 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Spoiler! :
Thanks @Lael! Funny is what I had been aiming for!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:09 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 15

Daily Wordcount: 524

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 6049

Things are finally progressing! They've started on the journey and there are definitely going to be quite a number of bumps along the way. I need to plot out some of the big scenes to execute them just as perfectly outside my head!

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"You don't need him to forgive you in order to forgive yourself. You know that right?"

She shook her head. "I don't know how that's going to work. For me, at least."

"Its simple. You just start. Today. Right now. And you keep on trying until the guilt gives way to the love and acceptance that I know you both are capable of."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:39 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Spoiler! :
Great going, RandomTalks! Looks like things are picking up in your story!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:05 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Spoiler! :
Thanks so much, @Liminality!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:09 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 16

Daily Wordcount: 158

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 6207

Did not get much written today and I absolutely blame the weather for it!

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She huffed in annoyance and looked around the park.
“You are way too cynical in the mornings.”
“And you are way too delusional at all points of the day,” Allison muttered, getting up from her seat.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 17

Daily Wordcount: 284

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 6491

A little late with the update again, but did not cover any of the important scenes today. I have realized I am proceeding at a snail's pace and I really need to pick it up if I plan to finish this within the month. In other news, I was revising some of the earlier chapters and realized that my physical descriptions for the characters are either horrible or non-existent, so that's been added to the list of things I need to work on!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:59 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 18

Daily Wordcount: 817

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 7308

Today was largely successful and I managed to cover some important conversations between the sisters that were long overdue. I have found that its easier to navigate their relationship than the ones they each share with their brother, so I might need to flesh out Jake's character a bit more? Its definitely something to think about!

An Excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"I never thought about it like that," she sighed. "The three of us grew up in different circumstances, you know? Sometimes it shocks me - the way they deal with you guys when I still remember so clearly how they were with me. I used to be angry about that for a long while until I realized how useless it was."

She paused. "Anyways, what I am trying to say is that I'm sorry. I should have been there for you."

Evelyn shook her head in protest. "You shouldn't be sorry. I was a shitty sister, too. I should have realized what you were going through."

Ally scoffed. "Well, you were a child. I was the adult."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 19

Daily Wordcount: 904

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 8212

I wrote consistently for two straight days and here's to hoping I can keep this up and make some actual progress this time. Even if I don't end up completing, I would at least like to reach somewhere in the near distance of the end line.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Best way to get over an obsession? Get another one."
Ally rolled her eyes, "Wow, that's really great advice, Jake." She smacked his arm with the rolled-up magazine, "Now go sulk in a different corner."

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Spoiler! :
Oh I really like that last excerpt! Very pithy. Great going with Camp NaNo RandomTalks, and best of luck on getting close to the end!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:32 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Spoiler! :
"Best way to get over an obsession? Get another one."

BUT JAKE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:58 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Spoiler! :
Thanks, @Liminality and @Snoink!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:03 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 20

Daily Wordcount: 893

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 9105

No excerpt to share today because I am too tired and too sleepy to scroll through the mess of what I have written to find something worth sharing.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 21

Daily Wordcount: 0

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 9105

Nothing because I was in no condition to write.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:18 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 22

Daily Wordcount: 412

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 9517

I did some estimations today and according to them I might actually finish a very rough, raw first draft within this month? Since we are already near the end of the roadtrip and the climax takes place once they reach their destination, I am thinking I will be able to wrap up the story in 15k words. Unless I drag or procrastinate, that seems like an accomplishable goal.

― Margaret Mitchell

rule #1 of being a potato: potatoes gotta defend their friends from negative self-talk
— Spearmint