Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo '23: A Winter's Funeral

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:56 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
You got this, RandomTalks! Wishing you the best with reaching your goal-- nearing a full draft is super impressive!! <3
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:15 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Spoiler! :
WOW. That would be so cool. Having a completed first draft is just... one of the best feelings ever. Not many people can accomplish that!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:15 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Spoiler! :
Wow, that's great! Good job so far. You can do it :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:56 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 23

Daily Wordcount: 636

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 10153

Today's scenes were mostly just conversations between the siblings, so had a lot of fun while writing!

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"That's because you don't have a social life."

Eve glared at him steadily. "I do have a social life," she turned to Allison, "Tell him I have a social life."

Allison shrugged. "I mean, most days you don't even have a life, so..."

Eve stared at her sister with the utmost betrayal before swiftly getting up from her seat without sparing them a glance.

"I am going to check on Lily, who despite being at least a decade younger than you both, is kind and considerate to her family."

"I mean, the fact that your idea of escape is a seven year old little girl just proves my point, but sure, go ahead."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
omg, i love that excerpt xD poor Eve, lol!
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 24

Daily Wordcount: 597

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 10.750k

Covered some of the last few lighter scenes today as after they reach home, it will mostly be just one conflict after another. I will definitely miss writing these harmless fights and arguments and hopefully, I will have the opportunity to incorporate some similar scenes before the close of the novella.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"You are! You are like this giant man-baby who cries when hungry unless someone pats its head and feeds it with a spoon."

Allison just stared. "Where do you even come up with this stuff, man?"
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:18 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 25

Daily Wordcount: 601

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 11.351k

Struggled a little to really feel it today but still progressed in terms of plot. Although I might end up revising and omitting this part altogether as I don't think we necessarily need all the in-between scenes. Will definitely have to think about a better transition, because right now its looking real rough.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"I know it must be more difficult for you. I mean, I'm just saying -"

"Please don't tell me how to feel."

"Okay."

"Okay."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:23 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 26

Daily Wordcount: 453

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 11.804k

Missed an update!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:42 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 27

Daily Wordcount: 527

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 12.331

Did some more planning today and well, I think I need a few more days to complete this thing. I've only just entered the climax and even though most of the development will take place in the sequel, I still want to leave this one with some kind of a resolution. Let's see how much I can cover in the last three days!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:08 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 28

Daily Wordcount: 443

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 12.774k

Yep, I am definitely going to need a few more days to wrap things up. The characters just have too much to say right now and it needs to be out there.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Do you even think about how your actions hurt the people around you? Do you even care?"

Eve's voice was soft, exhausted.

"Of course, I do!"

"No, you don't. If you did you could never have said what you said out there today," she shook her head, "You are so ignorant, Jake, sometimes I don't even know what to say to you. Sometimes I wonder if its better to say nothing at all. Maybe that'll get you to not view us as enemies all the time."

― Margaret Mitchell

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:41 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

I've really been enjoying your updates Random, I hope I get to read a draft of this soon <3

659 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 29

Daily Wordcount: 490

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 13.264k

Missed an update!

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Self-reflection was a tiring process and he preferred to engage in it as less frequently as possible.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2023 12:09 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 30

Daily Wordcount: 753

Camp NaNo Wordcount: 14.017k

Alright, somehow I forgot that April only has 30 days or I am sure I would have written more sincerely yesterday. I am a little disappointed that I did not get to finish the novella, but I feel happy about where it is right now and I am confident it will take only a week (max) to tie up the lose ends.

Nevertheless, I wrote 14k words this month and although it isn't much, this was a rather wholesome journey to ease back into writing!

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon May 01, 2023 10:58 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Congrats on all that writing, RandomTalks! 14k is amazing! And I'm glad to see that you've gotten back into the writing groove through this :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon May 01, 2023 12:35 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

You did amazing! I’m glad I was able to watch your progress unfold throughout the month
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith