Camp Nano '23: The Lost Dragon

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:05 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The Lost Dragon

Hello everyone. If anyone's been following along with my LMS novel you know my writers' corner thread for the novel is a hot venty mess for the first 10 posts and then it suddenly stops and is just all my LMS entries as I've been writing 1k a week for like six months or something. All that to say I'm so, so normal. I have been obsessed with these characters for almost 9 years and I need to make this story exist in a fully finished polished form before I die. It's the only big story I really want to tell. That's all. This story is so, so normal. Here's some info for you.

BASICS

Genre: Fantasy Adventure
    Content Rating: Probably 16+ to be safe. People die but no dogs die
    Brief Description: A cowboy (Matt) who is secretly a wanted criminal and a monster hunter (Clandestine) who is secretly a mage become unlikely friends. Their messes become each others' messes and their secrets each others' secrets. Oh, and also maybe they take over the world or something 😊 let's find out together!

If you're interested in reading this story for fun or whatever, here's where to find it: Chapter 1.1 + 1.2!

MY CAMP NANO GOALS

- I want to write a minimum of 4k this month, following along with LMS.
    - I want to thoroughly plan out a solid structure/outline for the rest of the story to connect the beginning to the end.
    - I want to organize my worldbuilding information all in this thread or in my world-building sketchbook if possible and build on some more things for fun even if it's not super story relevant.
Last edited by soundofmind on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:28 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Camp Nano Challenges: Part 1

Elevator Pitch

A cowboy (Matt) who is secretly a wanted criminal and a monster hunter (Clandestine) who is secretly a mage become unlikely friends. Their messes become each others' messes and their secrets become each others' secrets. Unfortunately, their secrets have consequences that not only affect them, but the world.

Character Motivations/Goals

So neither of my characters' biggest goals in life are super tangible, but I'll explain them a little. And by a little, I mean a few sentences because I have no idea how I'm supposed to write several paragraphs about this at the moment. Being succinct feels right when I understand all the why's in my brain and don't want to dump spoilers here lol.

What Clandestine desires most is a family, connection, and to be a part of something bigger than herself. She wants to feel wanted, seen, known, and successful. Her greatest fear is that no one will want her/everyone will leave her and she'll have nothing to show for her life in the end. Deep down, she believes the lie that everyone will abandon her not just because of what she is (a mage) but because of who she is. This is because she hasn't learned to be at peace with what and who she is.

What James desires most is justice, redemption, and reconciliation. He wants to be forgiven, understood, and make wrongs right in his own life and also in the world. He doesn't want to be a hero, but he wants to see an end to suffering. His greatest fear is that he'll never make a difference and that he'll become just like the people he opposes. He fears this because he believes, at the end of the day, no one will be there to help him and he'll have to do everything by himself. He also fears that the people he loves will never forgive him... but that's because he's projecting. He hasn't forgiven himself.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:41 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Ooh this looks good! I like your ideas for character motivations, sound! 'projection' seems to be a common theme between these two. As a side note, belonging and justice as motivations kind of reminds me of different levels of that Maslow's hierarchy thingy.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:08 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

UPDATE:

I have written 1054 words so far for LMS/Camp Nano. :^) This chapter has gotten so long lol. I might split it up or it'll just... be a super long chapter. Oh well.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:51 am
View Likes
Lael says...

I never got to say this earlier, but YES sound!! You got this :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:02 pm
View Likes
Benji says...

^^^ yes!! excited to see more as always, full steam ahead sound!!!
life is a minefield and Lord knows I am navigating it with Clown shoes

You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.
— Jennifer Niven, 'All the Bright Places'