View Likes
Carlito says...

it's time to finally for real finish this book

EVERY REASON WHY

*YA romance
*grumpy/sunshine, or maybe it’s really prickly girl/soft guy
*elite figure skater + prodigy piano player
*let me give you a list of reasons why we shouldn’t date
*Call It What You Want by T. Swift (but really just reputation vibes in general)

*also known as... Liz + Zac reboot and Falling on Thin Ice

as seen before during...
NaNo 2020, day 13 onwards
NaNo 2021, day 18 onwards
July Camp 22, plan mo
NaNo 2022, backup project I never needed

lol carlito and why should this time be different???
Here's the thing... I attempted two drafts and never finished one. Now it has a shiny new title - EVERY REASON WHY - and thanks to July Camp PlanMo 2022 I FINALLY TOOK THE TIME TO FIGURE OUT A REAL PLOT AND IT'S FOR REAL A REAL BOOK NOW. I wrote the first act last year and I'm confident I won't write myself into a wall this time like the first two attempts <3

PLAN/GOALS:

*FINISHING BY THE END OF JULY

*Also using June to get this done

I won't be mad if it takes me into August but for real by the end of summer so i have time to prepare for regular NaNo. Oh and I'll probably be doing research for my NaNo project this summer too when I don't feel like working on this.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:45 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

JUNE WEEK 1 UPDATE
I ignored the first few days of June and plan to think of each writing week as starting on Sundays. Lots of fun and happy things are happening this summer, starting with a friend in town last weekend for a concert. So I did virtually no writing this week! Which is fine!

I read through what I wrote last fall after the real plot finally came to me and made a few small tweaks. Still really like what I've done, I'm absorbing Liz's voice again, and I'm pressing on! I finished the chapter I stopped partway through the last time I worked on this story and fresh ideas for where to go next are starting to flood my little pantser brain :)

June total words: 2824
Manuscript total words: 17726

Spoiler! :

for reference
Code: Select all
[b][color=midnightblue]JUNE WEEK 1 UPDATE[/color][/b]
[color=lightsteelblue][b]June total words:[/b] 2824 [/color]
[color=lightsteelblue][b]Manuscript total words:[/b] 17726[/color]

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:10 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

JUNE WEEK 2 UPDATE
I think I wrote about half of the days this week? I'm hoping that with a slow ramp-up during June, I'll be ready to GO and finish this book in July! I wrote a few new scenes and finally succumbed to the siren call of Sims 4 - which is always bound to happen when I NaNo, so I didn't end up writing quite as much as I wanted on Saturday (which is fine). Still wrote more this week than last!

I also did a lot of research for what I'm planning on doing for regular NaNo. Some big picture conceptual things have come together in my brain for that and I'm excited!

June total words: 6511
Manuscript total words: 21481

Ask a Therapist!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:00 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Wait!!!! This was the ice skating idea you had last Nano???
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:46 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

*squees about this book for perhaps the 42nd time*

1162 Reviews

Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:32 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

@Snoink it was indeed!! The idea has been around in some form or another since 2014ish and now it finally has legs lol

@IcyFlame the only thing I have to distract me away from it this time is research for my NaNo book so I will finally triumph!!

JUNE RECAP
I didn't end up writing nearly as much as I hoped. I was vaguely shooting for at least getting to the midpoint and starting act 3 (I write in 4 acts) in June and I'm... about halfway through act 2. Which is fine! I knew this summer would be busy and lol July probably will be too but I'm still going to write as much as I can!!

June total words: 9955
Manuscript total words: 26129

JULY GOALS:
*500 words/day during the work week
*2500 words total on the weekends

that will equal out to ~5000 words per week and ~23000 words for the month
if I can do that, I'll be close to 50k which will put me in a good position to cross the finish line in August :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:30 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY ONE
Starting off strong on a weekend!! But a weekend that I'm seeing high school friends, attending a wedding, and traveling a bunch lol
Despite not being able to sit down to start writing until this evening and only having a small window to write, I'm pleased with day one!

Today: 978
July total: 978
Manuscript total: 27107

Spoiler! :

Code: Select all
[b][color=midnightblue]DAY ONE[/color][/b]

[color=lightsteelblue][b]Today:[/b]  [/color]
[color=lightsteelblue][b]July total:[/b] [/color]
[color=lightsteelblue][b]Manuscript total:[/b] [/color]

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:18 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY TWO
Today I finished chapter 11 and started chapter 12. What needs to happen in chapter 12 literally came to me last night after I stopped writing and I think it'll transition well into a few other scenes that I already sort of planned. I can only outline 3-5 scenes at a time when I'm drafting, and this new little chunk of scenes I have planned should get me close to my planned midpoint!

Today: 614
July total: 1592
Manuscript total: 27721

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:03 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY THREE
lol starting at 10:43pm as per usual for nano activities!
People have been shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood for HOURS because tomorrow is Independence Day -- not the ideal backdrop for writing a love story but what can ya do.

OPE now I can see some from my writing spot. This is very distracting. It's almost 11pm and there's pretty much constant fireworks going off at this point. How much money did these people spend to have such a large supply to shoot off??? RIP SEND HELP.

Today: 528/500 <- against all odds lol
July total: 2120
Manuscript total: 28249

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:05 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY FOUR
I'm off work today and my goal is to write 1500 words to make up for what I wasn't able to write over the weekend. My other goal is to write all of these words during daylight before people start shooting off fireworks again lol.

SUCCEEDED. Plus, I definitely know all of the scenes that will take me to the midpoint now :)

Probably going to do some research for the regular NaNo book once the fireworks inevitably start in a few hours...

Today: 1520
July total: 3640
Manuscript total: 29769 <- so close to 30k!! could I have written a bit more today to get there? sure. but I reached the end of a scene and I simply don't have 250 more words in me today!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:21 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY FIVE
back to work, back to beginning my writing after 10pm 8)
had a nice little rain storm, no one is currently shooting off fireworks, all is well!

lol then the words did not word today but that's okay!

Today: 274
July total: 3914
Manuscript total: 30025 <- yay 30k!!!

Ask a Therapist!

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:45 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Yay 30k indeed!! Good job!!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:52 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY EIGHT
Okay so I wrote nothing the last two days!
My goal today is to write 2000 words to make up for the missed days + working towards my general weekend goal :)

IT'S RAINING AND IT MIGHT RAIN MOST OF THE DAY - IDEAL WRITING WEATHER MEANS TIME TO ACTIVATE BIG WRTING DAY ENERGY! The only things that can stop me are my current rewatch of all 15 seasons of ER and the ever-tempting Sims 4.

^lol ended up doing both of those things but LOOK AT ME I STILL TRIUMPHED.

Today: 2066/2000 (need to shoot for 1700 tomorrow to be on track)
July total: 5962
Manuscript total: 32091

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:51 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY NINE
Actually I need like 1500 words today to be on track with my month goal (but my ambitious goal today is to get all the way to the midpoint which would be ~3000 words?

lol won't be getting to the midpoint today! but I *did* finish a chapter and write the awkward first kiss I've been waiting to write!! (I actually recycled a little bit from a previous version of this story because I liked the way I wrote their first kiss then, but it needed to be tweaked a little). This is why you should always save everything no matter what!!

Today: 1814
July total: 7776 <-- i'm actually a little AHEAD of my goal which never happens to me during nanos so let's see if I can keep it up!
Manuscript total: 33905

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:25 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY TWELVE
It's been a very busy work week and I'm tired, but I can't take off three days of writing in a row so here I am!! For once I'm starting *before* 10pm on a work night so the sky is truly the limit.

Today: 603
July total: 8379
Manuscript total: 34508

Ask a Therapist!

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
— Albus Dumbledore