Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo July 2023: Angel Astrid

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:53 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 10
Today's goal was really easy to accomplish/surpass. I worked on 3.1 by handwriting in a journal. Those people who talk about handwritten notes being more effective than typed notes may be onto something, lol. I've started to find that the more I explore and write this story, the more there are hints popping up demonstrating how Angel doesn't always think about others when she acts or says things, and I think that's something good for her to learn over the course of the story.

A fun thing I thought of today was potential social media handles for some of my characters. I'm not a big social media user and I'm always indecisive about making up names, so they may not be completely good, but I tried to see what other people do and make something up based on each character's personality. (I'm aware that I haven't introduced all these people yet, but hopefully you'll see soon.)
Spoiler! :
One of the biggest SM platforms in Angel Astrid is called PicYou.
Angel: angel_ofstars
Bryony: bryonypeters
Henry/Fraz: frassel_h9999
Calvin: calvinfoster_life
Genevieve: genevieve (she paid to get the handle from whoever had it first)
Jhémes: j1s2j3b4 (he only has a secret lurker account)
Liliabelle: lilia_lily
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:58 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Omg I love their social media accounts, especially Genevieve paying for hers and Jhémes's secret lurker account XD You've been doing awesome with Camp NaNo so far, Lael!!
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

81 Reviews

Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:26 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Thanks, @Spearmint! Lol another thing I thought of was that if Bryony had less of a no-nonsense personality, she might have made her handle bryonyrocks instead :P (since Peter means "rock" lol)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:30 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ohhh that's genius, haha!
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

81 Reviews

Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:11 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 11
Done, and I finished 3.1 (except for a small cohesive snippet) in the process. :) I find it hilarious looking at my document and seeing that all the red lines for spelling errors are pretty much all complaining about 'Jhémes' :P

Here's some of today's writing:
Spoiler! :
“That’s our cue,” said Jhémes, and he strode past Angel towards their teammates, carrying both of their luggage.

Angel cried, “Hey, wait!” When he didn’t stop, she raked a hand through her hair and growled in frustration, and she ran, weaving and dodging through throngs of other seniors to keep up with him. “Give me my bag. I can carry it myself!”

“No one said you couldn’t, Miss Astrid,” answered Jhémes, and he hefted Angel’s things even more securely on his shoulder.

He reached the rest of Team Verity first and extended his right hand to Calvin. “Jhémes Blake. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

Angel came next to him and began to try to pull the straps off his shoulder. Without even looking away at her, he caught her flailing wrist in his left hand and held it tightly.

Calvin looked once at Angel, focusing on her wrist in Jhémes’s hand. Then he turned his attention solemnly back to the outstretched hand and piercing stare. He smiled politely and gave Jhémes’s hand a firm shake.

“Calvin Foster. It’s nice to meet you too, and it’s good to have you on our team. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about you around school.”

“Only good things, I hope,” said Jhémes. A corner of his mouth rose rakishly as he continued to lock eyes with Calvin and grip his hand; he was also still holding on to Angel.

“Of course,” replied Calvin, unshaken by what was obviously a challenge of unknown reason or form. “You’ve gained quite the impressive reputation already for a student who has only been here for one week.”

Angel, who had given up trying to wrench her wrist free, looked back and forth between both of them. What was going on with this conversation? She also hoped Calvin wasn’t referring to the mock exams—she was so tired of people talking about the results.

A loud shout of dismay broke everyone out of the dense spell of tension. They all turned and stared as Frazzle whimpered and clawed through his entire duffel bag, which already looked like a storm had blown through it.

“No, no, no, I forgot my bug spray,” he groaned. He looked up at everyone with desperate, imploring eyes. “Does anyone have any I could use while we’re here? I’m going to get bitten so badly . . .”

He stopped, and he genuinely observed and registered the scene before him for the first time. “Oh,” he murmured, and he looked down again with a grimace. “Never mind, don’t mind me.” He began another fruitless sift through his bag.

After a prolonged silence among the five, Bryony said, “I’ve got you covered, Henry. Don’t worry about it.”

81 Reviews

Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:38 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 12
Done. I worked mostly on Ep 3 things, but I did some rearranging and added a snippet to the things I have for Ep 4 so far.

81 Reviews

Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:32 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 13
Wrote a lot of 3.2. It’s such a shame that the camping trip is going to be disturbed by the plot, because I’m sure it would be hilarious otherwise.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:06 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hurray, so many days in a row! You're doing awesome, @Lael! I like the bug spray interjection in the snippet you shared xD what a way to break up conflict.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

81 Reviews

Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:46 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Thanks, @Liminality! I’m glad you liked it. :P

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:04 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

Wow! You've made a lot of progress this month. You're doing great. I loved the snippet I read about the characters jaw snapping but in an almost audible way. Now, that's memorable! I also liked the big spray part that Liminality commented on. Adds quite an atmosphere to the scene and a touch of memorable humor. Nice!

I also love your characters names especially Jhémes. Nice!

Keep up the fabulous work!
-Kaia
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

81 Reviews

Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:20 am
View Likes
Lael says...

@KaiaJersaga, thank you for the kind words. :D I'm glad you also like Jhémes's name, because (along the lines of the theme of my work) it was meant to be sort of a joke. I think someone liking it makes the extra key strikes to make the é worth it, lol. xD (I know I annoy myself a little every time I have to type his name, which is a LOT, since he's the most important character after the protagonist, Angel)

81 Reviews

Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:08 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 14
Done, in which I let Angel get humiliated in front of the senior class, though probably only Genevieve (and maybe Jhémes) think it's funny.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:43 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

You're welcome! And I totally relate to the annoyance of having to add the accent. I had a main character with nine letters in his name. (Tenatashi) That was a lot to type out. xD
I remember those days. Yes, I do. :) But the accent in Jhémes is really worth the effort at least in my opinion because that's a great name!!
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

81 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:58 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 15 & 16

Continued work on Ep 3. I think a couple more days at most and I'll be able to move on to Ep 4 and a lot of unknown territory. Probably, I will need to do a lot of planning then, and I think if I outline a lot per day, that'll count towards my Camp daily goals.

81 Reviews

Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:34 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Day 17 & 18
Done. Setting the mood/tone of a scene can definitely be difficult if things aren't worded correctly.

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2