3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:45 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

UPDATE. UPDATE.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:41 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

AHH I've been busy with a summer program and RPMo, but I am gonna see if I can pull an end-of-the-month writing sprint this weekend, haha! Thanks for the poke!! =P
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:19 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Hey, I believe in you mint! You can totally pull it off :D
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

245 Reviews

Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:59 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Aw, thanks, @GengarIsBestBoy!! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:35 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

7/29

1231 words

total: 3635/20,000

So uh,, I'm not the fastest writer, so will most likely not be making it to 20,000 words. (It takes me like 1-2 hours to write 1,000 words, which means 16 to 32 hours of writing to reach my original goal... xD) But I think I can make it to 5,000 words, maybe? And I'll probably continue this project for NaNo, so it's a decent start. :]

Snippets, featuring Val being salty:
Spoiler! :
Val gave her a strained smile back. The Artifact Museum had featured prominently in her daydreams about being the Chosen One… She’d already known which artifact to pick– the Sword of Flames. It wasn’t just a cool flaming sword; the Sword of Flames was sentient, meaning it could be a useful spy, an ally to defend her if she ever fell unconscious during a fight, and so much more. But legendary artifacts like the Sword of Flames were reserved for Chosen Ones.

“Right,” Val muttered. At best, a Companion Two like her would get the Cucumber Club: literally a club made from a gigantic cucumber.

Spoiler! :
Val sighed heavily. “Look, it wasn’t just that I was ‘disappointed.’ Being the Chosen One was always my destiny. Finding out that it was Mira instead… well, it was like ground that you’d always thought was solid had turned to air, leaving you to free-fall into the void, never to be heard from again.”

Well, perhaps that was a tad bit dramatic. Who cared, though; she had to get to class. Val spun on her heel and stomped past Caleb.
mint, she/her

=D

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:24 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

Hi!! I just jumped in to check out this project. Looks cool. 8)

I love these bits that you shared:
We’re similar, in a way. She considered the poultry on her plate. You’re a bird, but you can’t fly very well. I’m supposed to be a hero, but I ended up being a sidekick. Guess we both don’t live up to expectations.

She felt a little bad eating the chicken now. But before she could ponder a complete shift to vegetarianism, her mother cleared her throat.

Stellar!!

Also, I enjoyed the second enspoiled part above. Nice use of a metaphor. Instantly made me know exactly what she was talking about, and, for this part
Well, perhaps that was a tad bit dramatic

Nah. Everyone's got a right to be dramatic. XD

Good luck, mint! You don't need to hit your goals to still be making progress, keep it up!

-Kaia

P.S. That writer's block repellent worked. ;) Thanks.
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

245 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:10 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks for the encouragement, @KaiaJersaga!! Really appreciate it. Also, I'm glad the writer's block repellant was effective :P

7/30

1672 words

total: 5307/20,000

I made it to 5k!! Time to see how much I can get done tomorrow. xD Probably not much, but I'm actually pretty happy with how this story is going. I'm excited to pick it back up for NaNo!! (That is, if college apps don't devour my time that month >.<)

Snippets, featuring Val being less salty:

Spoiler! :
“These are mainly historical artifacts, as well as ones that aren’t as practical for quests,” Eileen explained. She walked through the room, heading towards some wooden double-doors on the other side. “We keep the questing artifacts here.”

Eileen unlocked the doors. Still silent, the trio entered the second room.

Val caught her breath. The room was small, but it was filled with artifacts. There were shelves upon shelves of them, each shelf dutifully labeled with “Healing” or “Illusions” or “Fighting.” And Val didn’t know quite how to describe it (was it lemon? or rain on a cool fall evening?), but somehow she felt like the scent of magic was in the air… Next to her, Mira and Caleb were wide-eyed as well.

Spoiler! :
“The Amulet of Age.” Caleb held up a glowing blue gemstone on a golden chain. It caught the light and winked at Val. “Apparently it protects you from age-related curses, but even better than that…” He slipped it on over his head.

Suddenly, Val was looking at a child. He had Caleb’s sandy hair and green eyes, but he looked to be about seven years old. The kid blinked up at her. “See?” he said in a higher-pitched voice.

Val stifled a giggle. “So it makes you younger?”

Caleb took off the amulet and returned to normal. “I don’t know. It’s supposed to reveal your inner age, whatever that means.”

Val couldn’t stop herself from laughing any longer. “So you’re actually a seven-year-old on the inside? Hello there, little child.”

“Rude.” Caleb pouted jokingly. “Anyways, you try it.”

Val took the amulet and put it on. She felt herself grow smaller, her clothes becoming baggier. She thought she was becoming younger for a second, until she looked at her hands. They were soft, wrinkled things, with brown splotches spotting the backs.

Caleb was doubled over with laughter. “If I’m a child… then you’re… an old lady,” he gasped, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes.

Val stepped over to a nearby mirror. It was indeed an old lady who stared back. Her hair had faded to white and her eyes were a watery blue. Val touched her sagging cheek in surprise. Was she really an old lady on the inside? Well, she enjoyed crocheting occasionally, but surely that didn’t count. Val tested her movement, turning from side to side. Although she looked old, she didn’t have back pain or bodyaches, so perhaps the amulet only changed appearances and voices.

She turned to Caleb again, a twinkle in her eye. “Stop laughing, you youngster. I’m your elder, so show me some respect,” she lectured in a creaky voice, wagging a finger.

The boy started wheezing. “Sure, sure, grandma.”

“Now, is that sarcasm I hear?” Val furrowed her bushy white eyebrows. “Teenagers these days. Tsk tsk.”

Caleb had gone silent with the force of his laughter, and finally Val removed the amulet and joined him in chuckling. It felt good to laugh. How long had it been since she’d felt so lighthearted?
mint, she/her

=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:35 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

That's a decent chunk of words done!! 5k+, woooo! Good job. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:36 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks, Snoink!! ^-^
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:38 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

7/31

618 words

total: 5925/20,000

snippets:

Spoiler! :
Val never thought she’d see the day when she watched a sword and a girl wrestle.

Spoiler! :
Val scanned the blue sky, wondering what Mira could’ve been pointing at. Then she spotted it. The rival questgoers were nothing more than small splotches of color on top of… a gigantic origami crane? Val’s jaw dropped as she watched the enormous paper craft flap its wings and soar towards the other end of New Geode City.

Didn’t end up reaching my goal, but I think this is a solid start! Val’s adventures will continue when NaNo rolls around~
Also gonna post the first few chapters on the free lit work days, so that’ll be fun xD
mint, she/her

=D

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:49 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Great work so far on your story! I’m excited to see when you post the first parts of it soon :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

245 Reviews

Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:02 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks so much, Lael!! ^-^ Awesome work on your Camp NaNo this year too!! <3
mint, she/her

=D

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau