Camp NaNo July '23: NettieWIP

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:52 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

aesthetic reboot.png

With her wife of 38 years dead and her lighthouse decommissioned, lighthouse keeper Nettie Harris wants to be left alone to grieve. Unfortunately, the residents of the lakeside village of Forster’s Landing are incapable of staying out of their neighbors’ business. Only Helen Godfrey—stiff-necked, straight-laced head of the village council and founder of the local historical society—treats Nettie as she always has, which is to say with disdain, irritation, and an utter disregard for Nettie's feelings.

When Helen is found dead at the foot of the lighthouse, Nettie feels like the last constant in her life has died, too—even if it was an insufferable constant like Helen. With her home a crime scene and the village police fumbling the investigation, Nettie takes charge of the case herself, soon becoming [embroiled] in a multitude of suspects, too many children, and a young detective who inexplicably seems to like her. But when a second body turns up—the Coast Guard ensign Nettie blames for both her wife’s death and the loss of her beloved lighthouse—Nettie becomes the prime suspect.

Goal: 30,000 words (but if I go hard and finish a first draft, awesome)

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:01 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

I am IN LOVE with this premise and wish you best of luck on your camp NaNo journey!!
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:28 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Plume wrote:I am IN LOVE with this premise and wish you best of luck on your camp NaNo journey!!

Thank you so much! Planning is going shockingly well tonight, so maybe I can perhaps potentially actually in fact pull off a murder mystery!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:44 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

just waiting patiently for the new Blue book to drop <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:28 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Carlito wrote:just waiting patiently for the new Blue book to drop <3

Godwilling this one actually does drop 😅

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:41 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OH. THIS LOOKS DIFFERENT.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:46 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Snoink wrote:OH. THIS LOOKS DIFFERENT.

IT IS INDEED

...except for the part where the MC is an older woman, the book is full of found family, and it's cozy and allegedly sad

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I mean... there is a murder. It already started on a miserable premise...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:24 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Snoink wrote:I mean... there is a murder. It already started on a miserable premise...

liSTEN--

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:45 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

BluesClues attempts a cozy mystery with no magic

I beg your WHAT NOW?!

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:20 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

IcyFlame wrote:
BluesClues attempts a cozy mystery with no magic

I beg your WHAT NOW?!

I KNOW

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WITCHY

AND THEN MY BRAIN WENT AND HAD A TEMPER TANTRUM ABOUT IT BEING SET AT A LIGHTHOUSE AND SUDDENLY THERE WAS NO MAGIC HELP

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:57 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Definitely forgot to update this, but I broke 10k yesterday by bedtime (and actually stayed up slightly late to do so because at bedtime I was only 300 words away).

My goal for the whole month is only 30k, but I decided to forge ahead as much as possible on any day that I have the spoons to make up for days like, say, today, during which so far, just a few hours before bedtime, I have done zero writing because I barely slept last night and have spent the day exhausted and napping on and off lol.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:33 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I got so close to halfway through my goal last night that it would've been extremely tempting to stay up a little late and get to that halfway point if not for the fact that doing so would've required me to start a new chapter lol.

Extremely very glad I did forge ahead those first two days (and yesterday), because on the 3rd, after a terrible night's sleep and also dealing with hormones, it was a struggle just to hit my minimum for the day.

The pacing is definitely off (70 pages in and the investigation hasn't properly started yet) and of course it's garbage, but dang it feels good to be fast-drafting after two years of not finishing a first draft.

A favorite line so far:

She sailed from the room, failing to slam the door only because she was far too well-bred to do so. Not having the same predisposition to dignity, Nettie slammed it for her.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:02 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

if not for the fact that doing so would've required me to start a new chapter lol.

literally me yesterday too!! lol could've easily surpassed 30k but ehhhhhhhh.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:11 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

This is really turning into a pandemic book lol. Nettie's wife died because a relative who'd been sick recently came for a visit without either telling them he'd been sick recently or wearing a mask, even though Nettie's wife was immunocompromised. The detective investigating the case keeps questioning his whole career and quits by the end, helped along by Nettie spending the entire book like "acab." I did not intend to write a pandemic book but I guess it was inevitable it would happen eventually.

(To clarify, I don't mean a book about a pandemic or the pandemic - I just mean a book very clearly influenced by the pandemic. Like I just read an ARC of Amy Avery's The Longest Autumn, and that was the first thing I've read that really struck me as written during the pandemic because it really spoke to those experiences even though actual contagion was a very small part of it.)

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights