Young Writers Society

Gengar’s Camp NaNo July 23: Not My Circus

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:45 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Not My Circus

Keith is just a regular guy living a regular life—give or take a few details. On his off days, he spends his time fulfilling his passion: photography of abandoned buildings. One weekend, he gets permission to photograph an abandoned factory. As he’s exploring the place, though, he accidentally finds a huge secret in the basement: test tubes, lab notes, and big chambers full of green goo.

Soon, Keith finds himself in a much bigger predicament that he could have ever imagined. He’s undergoing a horribly adorable mutation; he’s got a shape-shifting sidekick tagging along; and, most of all, he’s created a rift in the space-time continuum. This causes all sorts of weirdos from all kinds of dimensions to make their way to Earth—including a powerful cyborg who conquers worlds and wipes them of all originality.

Keith does not immediately embrace the superhero role that he’s forced into. But once he realizes that the entire multiverse is in jeopardy, he has no choice but to try and save it.

~~~

Yeah, this is the mutant clown story. I’m already getting empty nest syndrome for Spooky Squad (the novel I’m finishing up) but then again, it feels nice to finally move on to something else. Also, I thought I was a genius with the title.

I feel as if I must add this: like most of my stories, this one is gonna be a little bit wacky, perhaps even a bit nonsensical. This is because I create characters before creating the world they live in, and I’d rather change the rules of the world than change the characters.

Bulletpoints that describe the story:

—Funny, kind of snarky story
—Semi-episodic—of course there’s gonna be an overall plot + villain but there’s also gonna be one-off villains + plotlines
—hero who doesn’t want to be a hero
—hero that likes decora / kidcore fashion (its not too apparent from the picture, probably should’ve drawn him with more hair clips)
—quirky sidekick with questionable morals
—tragic villain

Goals:

—Write at least once a week
—I hope to publish the chapters as literary works… which means I have to rack up enough points to do so
—i wanna finish the first 10 chapters, at least
Last edited by GengarIsBestBoy on Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:06 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

he’s created a rift in the space-time continuum.

oops. hate when this happens

Also, I thought I was a genius with the title.

it really is an A+ title!

This sounds super intriguing!! The premise and world seem cool and I love the vibes you're going for :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

122 Reviews

Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:41 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Spoiler! :
[I accidentally deleted this and dont feel like re-typing it all. Don’t worry, it wasn’t really important]
Last edited by GengarIsBestBoy on Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:47 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Wait!!! Mutant... Clown?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

122 Reviews

Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:42 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Umm, not sure if this counts since I did it before july but I’ll document it anyways

I’ve planned out a whole bunch of stuff, as well as making a fake website to make it feel more immersive

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:23 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

This looks super interesting! The "quirky sidekick with questionable morals" especially. And I love that you created a fake website for this!!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

122 Reviews

Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:59 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 2nd

I wrote the prologue

Word count: 548

I’m gonna admit, it takes me hours to write 500 words, which is why word count goals just don’t work for me. But maybe its just because I was writing this in a writer feed pad and I got distracted by talking to other people, who knows?

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:15 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 3

I worked on the first chapter.

Word count: 309
Total word count: 857

Side note, does anyone have any tips for how to write more? Specifically if I get distracted very easily. Sometimes I’ll stop everything I’m writing to research one sentence, and I’ll get distracted and start searching off-topic things for 5 hours, which makes it very hard to write a lot at a time

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:33 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Side note, does anyone have any tips for how to write more?

Usually I use a simple word crawl that won't get too distracting, or I set a timer and write for that number of minutes. In the past for NaNo I've also used something called 'The Most Dangerous Writing App' so I don't overthink individual lines, but that may or may not be your cup of tea! Best of luck with Camp NaNo!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:40 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Side note, does anyone have any tips for how to write more? Specifically if I get distracted very easily. Sometimes I’ll stop everything I’m writing to research one sentence, and I’ll get distracted and start searching off-topic things for 5 hours, which makes it very hard to write a lot at a time

I'd recommend short sprints. Set a timer for whatever time feels right - 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 7 minutes, 25 minutes. Whatever! You can't do anything but write for that amount of time. If you need to put your phone in another room or turn off your wifi temporarily, do that. As you're writing during that sprint, if you find something you need to research later or you're struggling with a sentence [put it in brackets]. My first drafts are LITTERED with [Name], [something here], [spider fact] (lol that was a specific one for my last ms). But you get the idea! When you finish your sprint, take a break (set a timer for this if you need to), to stretch your legs, get a snack, etc. before you're ready to go again.

If you like accountability while you sprint, I follow a few accounts on youtube that do live write-ins where they do live writing sprints with short breaks between. If you can catch one live, I think they're fun to write with! But I think the replays are also worth going back and writing with. For me, hearing someone else's keyboard clicking away motivates me to write too :) The two that I use are Abbie Emmons and The Revised Writer

I also love doing word crawls to trick my brain into writing more. Some have little stories to go with them, others don't, but the idea is there are short writing challenges and before you know it you've hit your goal for the day! I also wrote a yws themed word crawl that you could try! But I think regardless, to resist the urge to stop and research, you still might have to put your phone in another room or turn off your wifi while you're writing. Then when you reach a stopping point with words you can go back and research what you need! :)

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:40 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Hey, thanks for the advice guys!

I think I might try this word crawl. I’m gonna aim for 630 words today!

122 Reviews

Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:45 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 4th

Word count: 2042
Total word count: 2899

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I did the 5 card word crawl as well as an Undertale Word Crawl and I finished the first chapter!

I think I’ve found that I word best with timers. Like, before using timers, I assumed that I’d collapse under the pressure of a time limit, but surprisingly it had the opposite effect!

1162 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:04 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I think I’ve found that I word best with timers. Like, before using timers, I assumed that I’d collapse under the pressure of a time limit, but surprisingly it had the opposite effect!

whoo!!! glad you found a strategy that works for you <3

Ask a Therapist!

122 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:01 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 5th

Word count: 985
Total words: 3339

Ok lemme explain those numbers. So today I redid the prologue since I had a new idea of how it would play out, so I subtracted the original prologue wordcount from the total, and then added the new prologue wordcount. Uhh i feel like I’m making this sound unnecessarily complicated when its really not, lol.

Here’s my favorite line from it:

After a lovely Monday afternoon brunch with good friends, he was driving back to his apartment; he was one of those weird people who wasn’t completely drained after hours of social interaction.

122 Reviews

Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:52 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 6th

Okay, there’s no determined word count for today, since I was (finally) wrapping up a different project.
However, I did spruce up the prologue + 1st chapter, and now the total is 3416 words.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness