122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:28 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 7th

Words written: 1384
Total wordcount: 3416

I finished the second chapter. The word crawl I was doing meant that I had to do a Fifty-Headed-Hydra challenge, here’s the result of that:

Spoiler! :

I ended up changing a lot of this, not just the typos, but the actual dialogue as well. I’m someone who constantly uses the backspace button so it was weird to not use it
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

122 Reviews

Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:17 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Side note: Molly is the name of the sidekick in this story, and here’s how I described her to a friend:

“Imagine if Pinkie Pie was a shapeshifter, who was well-intentioned but also has a flawed sense of right and wrong and the capacity to commit war crimes”

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:21 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

The word crawl I was doing meant that I had to do a Fifty-Headed-Hydra challenge, here’s the result of that:

Lol you did perfect! whenever I have to do a 50-headed hydra, I literally close my eyes while I'm writing so I don't feel the urge to backspace and fix things and when I open them again it's always a mess.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

122 Reviews

Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:55 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 9th

Words written: 195

Total wordcount: 4995

I didn’t have a ton of time to write today or yesterday, but I suppose it’s something, right? I started the first chapter.

Also I’ve got a voice claim for Keith: Brendon Urie (lead singer of Panic! At the Disco), but specifically this song: https://youtu.be/NM-YeciRjUI

If you don’t know what a voice claim is, its basically just “this is what I imagine the character would sound like”
Last edited by GengarIsBestBoy on Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:41 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 10th

Words Written: 1379

Total wordcount: 6179

You know, now that I’m looking at the goals I had for camp nano, I’m starting to think that I underestimated myself. I suppose it’s better than overestimating myself though.

Favorite line from chapter 3:

He didn’t ask for his life to be cut into pieces, put in a blender, and shaken violently.

Cut my life into pieces

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:47 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Great job with Camp NaNo so far, Gengar!! Definitely inspiring to see you crushing that wordcount :D That is also such a vivid metaphor xD Love it
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

122 Reviews

Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:05 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 11th

Words written: 788

Total wordcount: 6967

Finished chapter 4, not much I can say honestly. Favorite line from this chapter:

But after realizing that he broke the laws of physics, all semblance of sense came crashing down and shattered into millions of pieces.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:28 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

“Imagine if Pinkie Pie was a shapeshifter, who was well-intentioned but also has a flawed sense of right and wrong and the capacity to commit war crimes”

I love that description xD

I also agree with mint on that "blender" metaphor - it's a pretty pithy line, too.

Congrats on finishing chapter 4!

Spoiler! :
Cut my life into pieces

This is my last resort
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:28 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

Just jumped in to check this out. I love your plotline. Very clever. I also like the character development going on. You're working pretty steadily. Keep up the work. :)

A little side suggestion...when you feel like you need to research something, try writing the scene without researching, then go back and do the research. This will help you stop research time from cutting into writing time. Additionally, by writing without former knowledge, you'll have a better idea of what you need to research/what you need to know before you even do the research. Saves you time in the long run, but just a suggestion! Hope it helps. :)
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

122 Reviews

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:17 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 13th

Words written: 1607
Total words: 7787

I actually established an actual goal for this: finish the first 10 chapters. Tomorrow I’m gonna backtrack and add a chapter in-between 3 and 5 (to help with pacing), so technically I’m on chapter 6 i guess. I plan to publish a couple during social week in august.

I have so many favorite lines and bits from this chapter, lemme just put a couple that dont spoil the plot too much:

He passed up his favorite pretzel stand. This mission was important—there was no way he was going to stop to get one…

Actually, what the heck? He walked back to the stand and bought a large pretzel. His mind would operate better on good food.

But he supposed he had to try anyways—because he clearly hadn’t learned his lesson from the factory, and he still didn’t know when to quit.

The creature in front of him was small. It looked just like a regular goat you would find on Earth—if you ignored its eight legs and five glowing eyes. It bleated, then proceeded to climb up the wall of the nearest building.

Keith just stood there for a while, absolute horror flowing through his veins.

Spiders were horrible enough on their own; to combine them with any other creature was an awful idea. What kind of higher power would come up with something like that? Certainly not one from this world.

Also, I’m debating on whether or not I should keep this line in. Its very funny to me but it comes across as if it was written by a bad ai:

Keith changed out of his undershirt and pants into a different set of shirt and pants.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:18 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

You probably wrote more than I did yesterday. Good job!! New goals are great. Wishing you luck!

I loved the bit about the pretzels. Of course there's always time for pretzels!! Brain food, man.

Okay, that last sentence...I think it sounds awkward because there's a lot of repetition there. You can keep the idea, I'd just get rid of the second repetition of shirt and pants. Maybe try something like "Keith changed...into a new set of clothes." But the thing that in my opinion is really killing that sentence is the last part. Try adding a "and" between "pants" and "into." Or just add another verb to the second part of the sentence. Just passing out ideas...;) I think just playing around with it a bit will really help. :)

Anyway, keep up the great work!
-Kaia
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

122 Reviews

Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 14

Words written: 1534
Total wordcount: 9237

I think my idea of adding an in-between chapter was a success! I also added/took away from some of the other chapters to make everything flow together. I kinda feel like the first few chapters are a little boring, but chapter 6 is where things start to pick up.

Also:

Keith pulled a notebook out from a shelf. It was a golden one that had the word ‘Notes’ printed at the top. Keith thought it was funny; it was like the notebook was stating its purpose to you.

Idk how many of yall were in the writerfeedpad where I talked about this, but I have a notebook irl that says ‘Notes’ on it, so I gave Keith one too.

122 Reviews

Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:53 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 15

Words written: 1226 (give or take a little; i was kinda adding a bunch of stuff to various chapters, along with writing chapter 7).

Total wordcount: 10,194

YEEES!! I’ve reached 10k! This is so rad!

122 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:36 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 16

Word count: 617
Total words: 10,811

I would’ve wrote more, but there is one thing that is genuinely tripping me up: a taxi scene.
I have no ideas how they work. For some reason it’s incredibly hard to research because when you google about it, it shows one of two things: 1.) lessons for English learners about how to ask for a taxi in English, or 2.) taxi services. The only source I could really find on how to physically use a taxi is wikihow, which… let’s be real, its wikihow.

While writing the story, this was bothering me to the point where I couldn’t write anything else. But now that I’m coming back to this a little while later, I feel it’d just be easier to have him take an uber. Why didn’t I think of that in the first place?

122 Reviews

Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:16 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

July 18

Word count: 917

Total words: 13,018

You know, if I would’t always go back and change things from previous chapters, then maybe doing the math for the total wordcount wouldn’t be so complicated

Anyghost, I don’t wanna spoil too much but there’s this new character introduced and I really wanna draw him, but he’s a cervitaur (deer centaur) and that’s gonna be hard

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness