Camp NaNo July 23: So Long, Farewell

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:11 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 12: 10,059

Wrote in 2008 and 2012! I'm writing about three chapters simultaneously right now, and once I'm done, I'll start moving forward.

Spoiler! :
Then, tears of joy started to well in her eyes. She’d worked so hard for this. Annie knew that she’d always had a place in the drama club since the beginning of the year. She’d treasured every production she’d been a part of, but she’d always wanted something more. She knew that she had the talent and the capability to do more than just chorus or a one off part. Her parents had always told her that her chance would come. She knew that she’d built up a relationship with Mr. Grant, who always praised how talented she was. As an underclassman, there had been few opportunities for her to be a part of anything but chorus. The past two years, it seemed as though Kyra and Haley had gotten every lead. Annie wondered if Mr. Grant had simply felt bad for her since this was the last chance she’d have before she’d have to start all over again in college. Either way, she was going to do Maria justice.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:22 pm
View Likes
Kaia says...

Hi!
This project sounds pretty cool. :) And I love how you're updating so fast. It's pretty clear that you've got your goals lined up and ready to accomplish. :) This whole thing with going between years is really interesting. I like that. Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun with this one. ;) Wishing you luck!
-Kaia
Traditional Christian, ISFJ, and Infamous Quirky Cat
You are God's beautiful little being!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:34 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 13: 10544 words

Finished up the first 2008 flashback, and tying things together in 2018!

Spoiler! :
Annie had told Thomas they could find some privacy in her bedroom. Without a word, or telling her parents where they were going, she led him upstairs and closed the door.

They didn’t say anything. She gazed into his perfect clear blue eyes before her gaze became fixated on his lips. They were standing so close to each other.
She’d watched people do this all the time in movies, but had no experience with it herself. Her heart was pounding. It couldn’t have been that hard, could it? Annie leaned it and touched her lips to his. It was odd at first, even awkward as they pulled away. Thomas was smiling, his face bright red, and Annie realized hers was the same.

Thomas leaned in this time to kiss her again.

“Do you want to be my girlfriend?” He asked.

“Yes, of course I do.”

That would be the start of the three and a half years they would ultimately spend together.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:19 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 14: 10820 words

Didn't write much today, but I'm sure I'll be able to make up the difference with no problem. I finished up 2/3 chapters I was writing simultaneously and now I'm in 2018, the night before the funeral. I'm excited because the "why" of this story is starting to become more clear.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:36 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 15: 11059 words

I knew today was going to be another slow day, but I will get back on track!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:43 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 16: 12923 words

Phew! Back on track! Today was a little bit challenging. I'm pretty much jumping all over the timeline now but at least I'm getting words on paper (long ago I heard the advice that if you are experiencing writer's block, to just write a different part of the story. You can always adjust later to make things flow). My "why" is getting clearer and clearer.

Onwards!

Spoiler! :

Somehow, Annie found her way to the dressing room. Her surroundings were blurred as she broke down in sobs, music and applause still audible from the theater. She heard a voice a few times before she realized that it was Marin.

“Hey, hey,” Marin said, sitting next to her and wrapping her in a hug.“We did a thing!”

Annie continued to sob, and Marin must have realized that it wasn’t just tears of joy.

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t want it to be over,” Annie managed.

Marin pulled her in tighter. “Sweetheart, I know.” She waited a moment for Annie to dry her tears, and tried to reassure her. “But we’re going to graduate in like a month, and then college–”

“Why do things have to change? What if I don’t want to leave home? What if I just want things to stay the way they are?

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:27 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 18: 14257 words

As I posted on my wall, I didn't write yesterday because I fell asleep at 7pm. About 250 words under today's daily par, but I reached a natural stopping point and I figure I can pick up the difference tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm going to get to 25k by the end of the month, especially since I'm going to be busy, but I'm sure as hell going to try.

Wrote a bunch off scattered scenes today.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:47 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 19: 15359 words

Back on track once again! Right now, I'm going back and forth between the day off the funeral and the last performance of The Sound of Music.

TW: Self-harm for this excerpt

Spoiler! :
Annie was reapplying makeup and had the sleeves of her long sleeve dress rolled up. Hannah only glanced over for a moment, but what she saw was unmistakable. The cuts. They were old, long since healed over, but they covered her arms almost completely. Hannah’s heart started to beat fast. She knew that people self harmed, but she’d never seen it with her own eyes before. Annie noticed her staring. Flustered, she put her makeup bag aside and rolled down her dress sleeves.

“I’m sorry…I just…” Hannnah started.

“You just what?” Annie responded curtly. She didn’t seem angry, but more tired, defeated. “You didn’t think I had problems?”

“No…”

“I’m sorry,” Annie said. “They’re from a while ago. Dunno if any of them are ever going to heal.”

Hannah’s heart was still pounding. She wanted to say the right thing, and didn’t know what was proper in these kinds of situations. “As long as you’re okay now.”

“Chronic depression is a bitch, Hannah,” Annie said. “I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.”
Hannah said nothing. If anything, a part of her felt stupid. She felt stupid for always being jealous of someone who had more in common with her than she realized.

“Look,” Annie finally said. “You and Thomas seem happy. He’s a great guy.” Annie’s eyes were welling with tears. “I broke up with him because I thought he could do better. I didn’t want him to be burdened with all of my shit, okay?” She laughed ruefully. “It was never going to work past high school, him and me. Just… take care of him, okay?”

“I’m trying,” was all Hannah said.

Annie grabbed her makeup bag and made her way towards the door. “See you in there.”

“See you.”

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:02 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

So, after going back and forth and thinking about it for a little bit, I think I'm going to cut things off here. In looking at the month ahead, I'm just not going to have time to write another 10,000 words and I don't want to stress myself out by trying. Besides, 25k probably wouldn't have been a complete draft anyway.

I may have cheated a little bit on the NaNo site by adjusting my goal down to 15,000 so I technically "won", but eh. In my book, Camp NaNo is Camp NaNo and since the goal can be whatever you want, I won by having 15,000 words I didn't have before and figuring out a lot about this story that will serve me as I go forward with it.

I've realized in the past month or so that it's is a screenplay and not prose. It's hard to describe, but a lot of what I want to convey will be best served in a visual medium.

I may have been overly ambitious at the start, but I started this month with the vaguest concept and idea of where I wanted the story to go and now it's a lot more clear.

I'm excited! to see where this story takes me next!

-- Walt Disney

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:34 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Hey, I’m just jumping in here for the first time. I like how tragic and emotional this story is! I hope your vision will be better met on a visual medium :D
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah