Camp NaNo July 23: So Long, Farewell

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:47 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

So Long, Farewell

On a cold February night in 2018, Marin Crosby, a young woman with the world ahead ahead of her, is killed in a car crash. When her former classmates and closest friends reunite in their small Wisconsin hometown for the funeral, they process the unresolved traumas, trials and joys of their time in high school, culminating in a spring production of The Sound of Music.

Goal: 25,000 Words

NaNo page
Playlist

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:51 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Wow, 40k! Good luck! Well this he a screenplay or a novella?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:05 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Snoink a novella!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:50 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 1: 424 words

I have been incredibly busy today and haven't had much time to write, but I'm going to do my best to make up the shortfall tomorrow. Regardless, I set the scene. This is going to be an ensemble piece, focusing mainly on the perspective of Thomas Pike and his girlfriend, Hannah Connor in the 2018 scenes. So, I'm trying to set the scene and the environment of the town!

-- Walt Disney

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:28 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Sounds interesting - a high school reunion meets Sound of Music! Best of luck this month Elinor :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:00 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 2: 2600 words

We're in 2013, the stage for Thomas and Hannah's relationship, before I switch perspectives for the first time.

Writing today felt good, a lot of things so far feel like throwing spaghetti at the wall, but I'm excited to see what this month has in store.

Excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She was in the process of reaching for a clean glass when she heard a man’s voice say “excuse me”.

Hannah turned and saw who the voice had originated from. She recognized him right away. He was short, his reddish-brown hair in a mop top haircut. He was wearing a long sleeved Boston Red Sox shirt, dark sweatpants, and slip on shoes. He hadn’t changed a bit. From the way he stared, his clear blue eyes seeming to pierce right through her, she knew that he recognized her too.

Hannah laughed nervously, hoping he’d be the one to say something first. Finally, he did.

“Did you go to Crestwood High School, by chance? In Wisconsin.”

“I sure did,” Hannah said. “I remember you, Thomas.”

Thomas laughed. “I’m sorry, I don’t quite recall…”

“Hannah Connor, I was in drama too. Class of 2013.”

“Hannah, yes!” Thomas’s eyes lit up in recognition. “I only did the spring shows, because I always did cross country, but um, did you do Sound of Music?”

“Yes, I did,” Hannah said.

“So, are you at BU now?” Thomas asked her.

Hannah nodded.

Then, his lips curled into a nervous smile. “That was a dumb question, of course you’re here, otherwise you wouldn’t be in the dining hall.”

Hannah didn’t reply to this directly, but simply remarked that it was a small world. It was. The odds that two people from Crestwood High School would end up at the same school so far away was miniscule. The fact that it was not just anyone but Thomas Pike, the boy she’d admired from afar for three years, was even smaller.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:41 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 3: 3911 words

Continuing to lay the scene. It's going okay. Not sure how much I like this novel yet, but the point now is just to get to a finished draft.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:10 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 4: 4729 words

A little behind my daily goal but I'm stopping here for tonight. Going back in time to the start of the high school years, and I will move forward and backward in time throughout the novel.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:49 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 5: 5307 words

It's been a very busy day and I've generally feeling pretty crappy, so I didn't write as much as I wanted to. I was wondering if I should reduce my goal because I've written 5k and I feel like not much has happened, so I'm wondering if it's even a 40k project. But it doesn't look like I can change my goal, so ope. I'm not even sure this is going to stay a novel, so if anything it's a way to explore these characters. I'm approaching this from a very casual way.

But I did write a little that I actually liked. So there's that. Movin' right along.

Spoiler! :
The night after he’d first learned that Marin was dead, he’d had a vivid dream about her and Annie. It was tech week for The Sound of Music, and the two of them were rehearsing the Sixteen Going on Seventeen reprise while Thomas had the sole task of making sure that they were correctly lit. In real life, that had been one of the most difficult scenes in the play and that scene had almost always gotten them stuck. That shouldn't have been the case, it was two people, best friends in real life, sitting side by side and singing a simple song. The real reason it was challenging was obvious to Thomas, even if Annie never admitted it. They’d both known, however subconsciously, that their relationship was ending. Even though Maria was the one consoling Liesl in the scene, Annie was the one who needed the advice. Even though they’d both been fifteen when they’d gotten together, everything else resonated to an uncomfortable degree. Once, they’d had to stop rehearsing and take a break because Annie had broken into sobs at the Liesl’s line: When it happens, after it happens, nothing is quite the same. Somehow I know I’ll jump up and go if ever he calls my name.

In the dream there had been none of that. Everything was perfect. Everyone was smiling and happy.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:51 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 6: 5601 words

Ignore what I said yesterday as I was able to adjust my word count to 25,000 words. This is also my first time being a full on panster -- usually I'm somewhere in between. This will be best for me because I'm very very busy this month, and will be less overwhelming why I lay out the story and figure out the diamonds in the rough, especially as this means I'm a little ahead and not over 2,000 words behind.

Wrote a little bit of one of the first main flashbacks and the "present day" (2018) stuff simultaneously.

If I can write in this story a little bit every day, that will be a win! I'm determined to achieve my goal and have a finished draft either way.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:56 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 7: 5911 words

Movin' right along. I'm working on two chapter simultaneously; a past one, set in 2008, and the other one, set in 2018. I'm kind of worried about my depiction of Thomas being reductive or offensive in some way, but for those of you old enough to remember 2008, kids were very much like this.

There's a lot more going on with this story, and discovering it has been a fun process.

Spoiler! :
Something else was happening in Annie’s life. Thomas Pike had always been a shy and nerdy kid, but something about him blossomed in the summer between eighth and night grade. Annie had evidently thought so. He’d grown out his hair to just above his eyebrows in a way that had really suited him. The braces he’d had all throughout middle school had come off, and he’d exchanged his wide rimmed, ovular glasses for contacts, which really had brought out his clear blue eyes.

Thomas and Annie sat next to each other in science class. Evie, also in the class, had noticed something appeared to have been going on between the two of them. He was still a science and math nerd without any friends of his own. He’d read all of the Lord of the Rings books in high school and knew Star Wars backwards and forwards.
Annie didn’t care. Early in the year they were assigned as partners on a project, and it didn’t take long for her to realize that she liked him.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:56 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 8: 6487 words

Stayed in 2018 today. Thomas and Hannah are finally at his mother's house and going to meet Evie and Annie soon, the night before the funeral.

Just keeping on and I'll worry if any of it makes any sense later.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:33 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 9: 7293 words

Not much to say tonight (I'm very tired) but I'm glad I'm staying on track!

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:44 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 10: 8405 words

I'm writing... very out of order at this point but I'm eventually just going to bring it all together. Happy with today!

Spoiler! :
Some merely looked at the list, nodded and walked away. Others were upset and walked away in a huff. A few regarded her as they walked by. Annie’s heart was pounding now.

“Where on earth are Marin and my sisters?”

“I’m sure they’re on their way,” Thomas reassured her.

“We said we’d meet here and walk home no matter what.”

The line was starting to thin out. She noticed Haley Porter turning on the phone to someone. “I’ll take it,” she distinctly said. She was smiling, but not beaming. “No, I’m really excited.” Then, she left, and there was a distinct opening to go and look.
Thomas turned to her. “You’re going to have to look sometime.” He squeezed her hand again, and finally found the strength to walk towards the cast list.
It only took her a millisecond to notice her name because it was at the top.

Maria… Annie Ryan

It took her a second longer to process what it meant. She scanned the cast list further. James Carpenter was Captain Von Trapp. That was always going to happen no matter what. Kyra was the Mother Abbess, and now it made sense why she was happy. It was a great role. Haley was Baroness Schrader, and her reaction also made sense now.

Then, she saw other names that made her very happy.

Liesl von Trapp… Marin Crosby
Louisa von Trapp... Elise Ryan
Brigitta von Trapp... Katie Ryan

Not only was she Maria, but she was going to be doing it with Marin and her sisters. Now, she couldn’t wait for them to find out too.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:18 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Day 11: 9055 words

Continued with the 2012 flashback. Marin and Annie's younger sisters have just found out they've been cast. I think this story is coming together slowly but surely!

-- Walt Disney

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter