z

Young Writers Society

Camp July '23: A Winter's Funeral (2nd Draft)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:22 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Camp NaNo '23:

A Winter's Funeral: 2nd Draft

Not me jumping in on the train at the last minute possible!

I will be reworking on my novella, A Winter's Funeral, which was my Camp NaNo project for April. Although, I managed to complete the first draft, I will be completely scraping down Jake's POV because I feel like I went down the wrong road with his character. I am still not sure what I intend to do with him, but here's to hoping I can sort things out this time!

A blurb from last time:

Its basically a novella about nothing and everything. Three siblings are forced by circumstances to spend time together. When life throws them a curve ball, we see them working together, growing together and changing the perceptions and grudges they clung to so tightly.

Starring characters who are confused and lost in their own lives and cope with it by taking it out on each other, this is a slow, laid-back novella about family and growing up and getting to actually know the people you've spent your entire lives with. This can basically be considered as a character study of three people, only with plot (albeit, a little overused plot!)

“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:45 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 1

Revised Chapter 1 and decided to add a short prologue at the beginning to cover the parents' point of view. They don't appear until the very end, but I do need to flesh out their characters more if I plan on writing the sequel where they'll have major roles to play.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:25 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Not me jumping in on the train at the last minute possible!

this is the spirit of camp nano <3

I love that you're continuing work on your april project for this camp! Best of luck :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:27 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 2

Revised Chapter 2. Made some changes in the introduction of Allison.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:29 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 3

Extended Chapter 2 to include a scene with their parents. (Words: 3040)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 4

Does anybody else forget to update their threads or is it just me?

Worked on improving the setting of Chapter 2. (words: 3989)

Here's a snippet from the chapter since it seems to be going on forever:

Spoiler! :
He let out a deep breath and absently tapped his knuckless against the plastic arm of the chair. It was the middle of the night and the hospital which was usually bustling with activities, now stood like a cold and barren ghost town. There were still people in uniform behind the desks and a few people still lingered around, but there was something extremely mechanical about their presence. Devoid of the noises and activities, the atmosphere was stifling.

He continued rapping his knuckles against the cold plastic.
He wasn't nervous, he thought to himself as the door opened and he watched her walk out with Evans and a doctor in a white coat.

He wasn't nervous, and he definitely wasn't guilty. He hadn't known.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:27 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 5

Revised chapter 3 and made some minor edits in the scenes shared between Eve and Jake. I also had to change my previously aggressive approach towards Jake and am not looking forward to working on Chapter 5 which is the first one from his perspective.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:32 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 6

Continued working on Chapter 3 and included a phone call between Eve and Lily. Her first official entry in this draft and I think she is already my favorite character.

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:57 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Continued working on Chapter 3 and included a phone call between Eve and Lily. Her first official entry in this draft and I think she is already my favorite character.

Ooh exciting! Great going with Camp NaNo so far :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:24 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you, @Liminality!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 7

Revised Chapter 5 and changed some of the dialogues of the characters. I also have a feeling I am going to change them again tomorrow.

Total words right now: 4560

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:38 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 8

Did not write that day. Can blame college for that.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:45 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 9

Rewrote the prologue to include a flashback because it makes so much more sense than the scene I had originally written from the parents' perspective. Also, I might need a proper plan for going through this draft instead of making changes left and right, wherever I see fit. (words: 4954)

― Margaret Mitchell

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:53 am
View Likes
Lael says...

So glad to see that you're working on your project for another Camp again, too! I really liked the concept. You can do it :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:24 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you @Lael! :)

― Margaret Mitchell

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March