z

Young Writers Society

Camp July '23: A Winter's Funeral (2nd Draft)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 10 - 11

Got too caught up in real life and did not get time to write at all. However I did plot some scenes in my head, so the days were not a complete waste.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:36 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 12

I have been thinking a lot about the story and how the major problem in the first draft was that I did not have a solid grasp on Jake's character. I think one way to make him more relatable would be to change the approach towards his relationship with his niece Lily. That's going to alter a lot of scenes in the story but I feel more confident about this and spent the entire of yesterday fleshing out this idea.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:29 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 13

Revised Chapter 6. (6734 words)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:36 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 14

Included a phone call between Eve and her Aunt in Chapter 6 because it never occurred to me that she, knowing her family perfectly well, might have some reservation about leaving her only child in their hands. Although, I am trying really hard to keep it short and not give in to the urge to expand on it since she is a character and deserves her own story.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:42 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 15-16

Nothing because spent the entire weekend college hopping on the internet.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:43 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 17

Worked on Chapter 7. (words:7842)

(Also, finally caught up on all the updates!)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:35 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 18

Worked on the setting of Chapter 8. They are finally on the road and I need to make sure the descriptions don't get bland or repetitive.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:55 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 18

Revised Chapter 9. (Words:10234)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:01 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 20

Struggled a lot with drafting a few of the car scenes today. I feel like I need to add in a few lighter moments to alleviate the tension, if only for the sake of the child who has all my sympathies. This might also be the place to test Jake's new character arc which I have previously teased in some of his scenes with Eve and Lily.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:29 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 21

Did not get to write yesterday.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:33 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 22

Revised Chapters 10 and 11. Added a scene at the motel which I hope was light and wholesome, because it is definitely the calm before the impending storm.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 23

Revised Chapter 12. (Words: 12034)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:12 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 24 - 25

Just struggled with the climax for entire two days only to bench it for some other day when I actually have the patience this entire section is going to require.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:15 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 26

Since I skipped a chapter, I decided to focus on the characters instead of the plot (mostly to give myself a break and just write). I ended up having a lot of fun, even if it does unnecessarily drag the story a little. But I am going to edit it out anyways, most probably, in the 3rd or 4th draft, so I guess, it doesn't matter.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:22 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 27

Worked on Chapter 14 today and realized how taxing it is to switch perspectives in every chapter (especially when the characters aren't all that fond of each other). I also did a little planning for the climax and decided that I still don't have a clue how the whole thing is going to pan out.

― Margaret Mitchell

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles