z

Young Writers Society

The Good Seed: Part 3

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 am
Kit says...

A Pair of Megalibgwilia ramsayi Hibernate During the Ice Age

My mother was a great beauty. Her spines were pale as spinifex, and deadly sharp. Any predator to take her into their maw would bleed to death before she broke even one. Her tongue could whip up an entirely ant colony into her beak quicker than you could see. When she mated, twelve strong men pursued her for seven weeks. When they fought for her, they wore a rut into the ground as deep as the twelve of them piled one on top of another.

My father, the victor, was not who she expected. He was smaller than the others; not a good hunter, she thought. Our kind is inherently solitary, but he would disappear for months on end, even in the summer, and return smaller and tattered, his claws cracked and bleeding. She could smell the mould in his quill-fluff, no doubt the odd mite burrowing into his skin.

Rotting roots pierced the roof of his burrows, termites dropping and writhing across the floor. He told her that he was scared of the dark; even the thought of hibernation, that long dark sleep, set him aquiver. Our kind can't dream in the cold, so for thirty years he had dug deeper and deeper to the warm earth to nest. She told me she never understood what made her stay. Her passions had always come in flickers, from tongue to mouth, and no more. They hibernated together, and when they woke, twelve families had frozen to death, puggles in pouches. In early spring, my eldest sister was born.

Twenty five years of hard winter, and I still wish I had known him, the coward who saved us all. He died before I'd broken my egg.
My mate nudges the maggots towards me. He has lost so much weight his quills almost tip him over. There is blood on his beak. He ripped the skin on his tongue licking the ice from the burrow's mouth.
“I've already eaten.” He says.
“I can see you drooling.”
“Well, you are especially becoming today.”
I shake and puff out my quills. “We share.”
“Fine.” He scratches at the floor with back feet and stretches.

Food, after a lack-thereof, is a powerful narcotic. My body floods with endorphins, every part of me blushes and flutters. The air sweeps over my skin in technicolour, cool bursts and hot pulses. I am new and pink again, licking milk from my mother's pouch.

The nausea sets in. The acrid stench of the torn maggots is sharp in my throat. Below my beak, they squirm and squelch in the remnants of their rancid feast, painted in gluttony and gore. They live their lives to the rhythm of chewing, the song of the open mouth. Blind, white wrigglers knowing only to survive. I choke them down, my eyes wet.

My mate flattens his spines and blows the dust from his nostrils. “When the spring comes, I will bring you sugar-ants, fat as you ever saw. My grandfather told me he found a colony once, each one was as long as your foot.”
I don't ask him what will happen if the spring never comes, but the question is there, I can feel it change him.

High above, the wind drones over the burrow mouths: a dull, hollow roar with with high, brassy overtones. I used to love it, the burrows come alive with breath. Now I worry about ice freezing over our ventilation, or a gale ploughing a tree through them. I worry about so much these days. I don't know if I will ever see sugar-ants, or the spring, or my child hatching. If we sleep now, there is every chance we will hibernate through the last weeks of my life. There have been more impressive species passed over for mercy or luck.

We nest together in the deepest burrow. It is rounded, so that we may lie with our underbellies against one another, a united ball of spikes. Let us be a fortress, and dream ferociously. I close my eyes and his body-heat is a patch of thick summer sun. Rain carves channels through the snow. The ice crinkles and cracks over the river. Trees teethe with new shoots, their roots moaning and quaking. The soil sweats, its seeds splits, soon it will be churning with worms, plump and pink, with slaters, dark and sleek as river rocks.

Dream fierce, my love, stay warm. Make the Spring remember us.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:06 pm
davantageous says...

Food, after a lack-thereof, is a powerful narcotic. My body floods with endorphins, every part of me blushes and flutters. The air sweeps over my skin in Technicolor, cool bursts and hot pulses. I am new and pink again, licking milk from my mother's pouch.

are you referring to a baby?
Davantageous

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 pm
Kit says...

Technically no, I am referring to a puggle, and thank you for giving me the chance to use the word again. Puggle. Puggle puggle puggle. Megalibgwilia ramsayi, if you haven't googled, is an extinct species of echidna. They have spines on their backs and beaks, but they are closer related to the platypus than the hedgehog or anteater. The platypus and echidna are in fact monotremes, they are warm blooded and have pouches like marsupials (kangaroos, koalas, wallabies) but lay eggs like birds and lizards. Their babies are called puggles.

The passage you quoted was about how, when starving, food has a profound effect on you, which the narrator compares to her first memories of food, warmth and comfort in the pouch of her mother, where the nipples are situated, drinking milk from her mother.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson