z

Young Writers Society

Summary to a Story

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:10 am
Elizabeth says...

Amazing that I got bored in Canada and wrote this. I honestly though didn't really write a real story this seems more of an outline or a summary or something... tell mw what you think :)

Introduction I
I live in a town, not far from where you live and nor near. My hometown is where one can play or sulk.
My family has taught me many things. How to weed, how to cook, how to harvest, how to sew and how to be polite.
What they didn't tell me though, was how to love. And I had to find out for myself.
Part I
My family lives on a farm, which is painted a gray-blue. There is Mama, Papa, Kelly and Jay. My parents take pride in all of us, all of us except for me. The reason why is yet unknown as the weather. And although I do what they say, answer what they ask and clean what is to be, they still look up to me as much as a mouse to a trap.
And as I do my chores, as I always have, I look up into the sky and think 'Why? Why am I to be?'
"GRACE!" Calls Mama and I run to the front gate with the hoe in my hand and dirt on my face. I open the white picket gate with a heavy sigh and look up at her.
"What Mama?"
"Go to town, to the Market and get some milk, eggs and butter. Oh, and all these other things you should know." Mama hands me a list and a wad of dollar bills and ushers me away. I drop the hoe as she walks inside and poke my finger in my ear and stick my tongue at her.
Town is only a mere half a mile away from here and I didn’t even other to bug Papa to drop me off. I just 'borrowed' Kelly’s bike and rode off into the noon sun.
I stopped at the crosses and stuck out my hand for signaling until I finally hopped off the bike and walked into the Market. I glance at the list Mama handed to me and sigh as I pick up a basket.
-Milk
-Eggs
-Butter
-Apples
-Bananas
-Olive Oil (Virgin)
-Yellow, Red and Blue Yarn (for sweaters)
I know what yarn is for so why does she act like I'm stupid?
I walk to all the aisles and look at what they have, and then I look at the wad of money in my pants pocket. She gave me a total of $30.00 and when I added up the cost of the items it only came to $17.46. Plus tax and I had enough to buy a candy bar... or two.
Finally I come to the last aisle and that is when it happened.
A man, tall and strong with a pair of sunglasses, walks over to me and grabs the money right from my hand. Like that! And without a feeling of regret or anything, he runs out of the aisle. And out the Market.
But I don't chase after him, I don't know why. I just stare at him and as he passes the window right near the aisle. He pulls down his sunglasses to show handsome brown eyes and mouths the words 'Sorry'. I stand there with the basket in my hands and no sense of what to do.
I let him run.
Out of the store.
Into my heart.
Part II
I go home, empty handed and am rudely greeted by Mama, and she has a rolling pin in her hand. Slapping it against the other.
"Where are the things? We need them!"
"THE MONEY WAS STOLEN!!! MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SENT AN INCOMPUTANT, DEMINIATIVE FOOL LIKE ME TO THE MARKET!" I cry and run away from the house. Out the gate, past the cornfield and back into town. I run into a dark alley and fall down near a dumpster and cry until I was dry.
"Sorry" says a gruff voice from behind me. I was scared by the sudden sound but turned around, none the less, and came face to face with the man who had taken the money. He has a very sad smile on his face and hold out his hand for me grasp. And I take it. It was warm and I dint' feel afraid anymore.
"Why?" I ask to him as I'm wobbling on my feet, cold and hungry from running.
"It was sudden instant. Living on the road as I, you learn to do what your gut tells you to do." Gut?
"Why did you need that money?"
"For my life missy. My life."
He gazes into my eyes and I feel a sensation running in my mind. My heart is racing and I think it is silly of me to believe that he was going to kiss me. My instinct said it was silly. But it was wrong.
He leans over and kisses me tenderly on the lips and I don't pull away. I let him kiss me. I don't know why I am letting him. Why he is kissing me but I stay still. As he pulls away from me he says, "I have never known anyone who hasn't... called for help because of what I have done. Thank you. Thank you."
He pulls away and my heart still races. I am waiting for him to whisk me away and take me to a place far away. But all he does is hop onto his motorcycle and ride off into the night. The streetlights are on now. And I believe it's time to go home.
Part III
I knock on the front door and everyone makes a fuss about it. They clean me up and feed me. Tell me how worried they are. And I want to know why they are lying to me. Why they only care now. Did they think I got the money back? Is that the only reason they are welcoming me? Not even at my birth were they this happy or excited or worried.
So why now?
"I am so sorry Grace. So, so sorry."
Shove it Mama.
"Grace, never do that again."
Shut up Papa.
"Grace... Grace... We missed you!"
Go away you two.
"I am in... love." I say out loud as my parents exchange glances. I can read their faces. They are stunned and worried. They think I was at my lovers house but I wasn't. I was in an alley all alone until he saved me.
He.
I never asked his name.
He didn't know mine.
My parents kiss me and say I don't have to do chores tomorrow. 'Goody.' I think as they turn the lights off. I stare out my window at the start. They are shining. Brightly as I had never seen before. It must be because of what had happened.
A start to a new love.
As I glance at the moon and remember the tender kiss, I hear a humming. I hear his motorcycle.
Part IV
I restrain myself from taking a break and I go outside to work on the farm, with my family. But as I walk to the shed I see a note and it reads:
Dear Grace,
Mama, Kelly and Jay and I have gone to visit Grandma and Grandpa Hudson. We didn't want to wake you.
Love Papa
XXXOOO
Love? I was beginning to admire that word. Maybe it was because it was something I now felt. Something I now had.
Suddenly from behind me I hear a loud roar. And engine roar. I turn around and there he is. On his motorcycle with a fiery red and orange helmet atop his head. He reaches behind himself and tosses me a helmet to.
"Hop on!" He calls above the engine. I don't have time to think. I don't think. I put the helmet on my head and speed of with him to a place I don't know of.
After a minute or two he stops. We are off the road and in a clear pasture. There is a stream and a tree. He picks me up by my waist and places me on a branch. I am wearing a skirt and it is blowing in the breeze. I am sure he can see me, but I don't care; he doesn't look up.
"What do I owe the honor?" I ask as he jumps onto the branch.
"Nothing I just missed you."
"But, we only met yesterday."
"I know but..." His turns red and looks away but I can see. I know he is blushing.
"Your name please? What is it?" I ask him.
"Dershell. You?"
"Grace." We look at each another. Knowing how much my Papa and Mama want me to marry a man who isn't, seemingly, in trouble with the law, I brush those thoughts away from my mind and I kiss Dershell. I know he wanted another one. And I know I did too. I just hope that... hope that my parents won't find out.
Introduction II
It was six months ago since I had met Dershell in the alley. I know that our love was greater than anything on the Earth. He knew it too. One day though, I hope to marry him. I know it wasn't exactly the greatest beginning for us, him stealing my money and all. But I guess I have a lust for men like him.
Unfortunately what I thought would be the greatest thing turned out to be the worst.
Part V
It was dark outside. The moon was full and that cast a glow upon the front porch. I sat outside and I waited for Dershell. I knew it wasn't the best time or the greatest meeting place, but he promised not to ride his motorcycle near my house. My family was asleep. The crickets chirped a soothing melody as I closed my eyes and waited for him.
"Dershell... my love...." I whispered into the breeze. I heard footsteps but I knew it was he. They were heavy and graceful.
"Grace." He whispered to me from the gate. I smiled and ran to him. He embraces me in the tenderness way but tonight he doesn't. He stands there as I look like a fool with my arms out. He gets down to his knees.
"Marry me Grace. Marry me."
I stared at him and broke out into a happy cry. Dershell smiles because he knows it is a yes and we hold each another for what seems like an eternity.
We sit on the porch. Me leaning on him listening to his heartbeat and feeling his warm had move across my arm. His leather jacket smells like the road I've began to dream of and his kiss is as it was six months earlier. He looks into my eyes and I look into his and we both move slowly closer...
BAM!
A gunshot.
"Dershell!" I cry out but it is to late. His eyes are as solid as a rock and as still as the sky. I can hear no heart beat. I feel his right chest area and it is soaking in blood. My hand glistens red.
'No. No. No.'
He looks at me with his deadly still eyes and whispers with his last breath, "I love you. I... waiting... for you. Promise..." And then all was quiet, except for the cricket’s song. Which changed into a mourning song.
Part VI
I shout to the heavens and ask why. I continue to ask questions as I hold Dershell's lifeless body. I want to know who has done this!
The porch light turns on. Mama and my siblings gasp in horror as they see me with the body of my loved one. Mama grabs my arms and pulls me away. I don't let her. I won't let her.
"Grace!"- She struggles with me-"Grace are you OK? Did he hurt you?"
What was she thinking? What was she saying? Why would Dershell want to hurt me? I knew he had killed before... but I trusted him. He promised he would never, ever harm me.
My Papa runs from the bushes. He is carrying a gun. I curse at him.
"YOU BASTARD!!! WHY DID YOU DO THIS? WHAT HAS HE DONE? WHAT HAS HE DONE! GO TO HELL PAPA!!! GO TO HELL!!!" I scream as Papa edges closer. How dare he come closer.
"Grace! He was a wanted criminal! I saw him holding you and you were crying and so silent! I thought he was hurting you!" Papa explained. His pitiful explanation made me furious.
"I LOVED HIM PAPA! I LOVED HIM!"
Everyone was quiet. I looked down at my feet and there lay Dershell’s empty body. His hear was still in there. But his soul was free. He was free. And in a way, past all the grief and misery of the night, I was happy for him. And I knew
Part VII
Dershell has been dead for over 2 years. I haven't forgotten his expression when I said yes to his proposal. Pure joy and endless love. I loved him. I never wanted him to leave me but he has. I know he's waiting for me on the other side.
One day Papa asked me if I wanted a ride to town. I smile and decline his offer and begin to leave.
"Bye Papa. See you soon!" I call as he waves good-bye to me. I guess... I have forgiven him. People think I am insane to but I knew Papa loved me... and had set Dershell free.
I push the button to cross. I see green and I begin to walk. I see blackness.
I open my eyes. Why was everybody crying?
I can feel the warm air around me on this summer’s day. I don't know these people. I am smiling but why? Then I see him.
"Dershell?... is... is that you?" I see a clearer view of him and he nods. He is wearing his leather jacket and the look of pure joy and endless love is on both our faces. I begin to run toward him. When I reach him there is no blood. There is no wound. Then I realize something.
He has kept his promise. He has waited for me. I know I have passed on. I am in another world. Without pain. Without violence or anything else.
Even though I am here, my family growing older and their grief never ending, at night I can hear the crickets. They chirp the song, which was sung... when I said yes.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:56 am
Sam says...

This is a pretty good idea, you just need to add some more shtuff to it. Right now it's *ahem* kinda...dumb, if you get what i'm saying. I like the falling in love the convict. niiiice....:D You stole my idea!!!

evil! *eats rock candy*
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:06 am
Elizabeth says...

love is a mysertious thing

convicts are sweet... bad boys one day you will like them.. my dad threatened my very being if I dated a guy with a motorcycle who had long hair and tatoos and the works like that you know? Don't ever grow old and don't you ever date! Just get married straight away :-P like what my mom did... look how I turned out :-P

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:10 pm
Emma says...

Wasnt that on TYWC? I read it there and I loved it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:10 pm
Harley says...

I loved it!! The grammar needs a little work and yo need to use more paragraphd, but it's a really great idea. Your concept of dyeing was really interesting, but it's a crucial part in the story and I think that you need to describe it in more depth. I love the girls' name...Grace. I'm not sure why though :roll: One more crit; i wasn't sure what time period it was set in. I think you needc to provide more clues if you don't mean it to be set in 2005. That's it basically... keep up the good work! :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:46 pm
niteowl says...

Yeah I was a little confused about the time period as well. But it's a great story concept. Some parts are detailed enough that you don't need to add much. Others are basically just a raw outline that you should actually write out. Very cool.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)