z

Young Writers Society

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:59 am
Incandescence says...

Last edited by Incandescence on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:34 am
Galatea says...

*Laughs out loud* I LOVE your reference to The Hollow Men. It absolutley made my night. Good show!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:22 am
Tara says...

Brad, you're brilliant!!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:20 pm
Nate says...

I get to be contrarian :)

It seems cliche to me; that is, I've read something like this or close to this a million times before. You need to update it, and it's always better to show rather than tell.

You also need to go through this and edit it thoroughly. For instance, " their pathetic souls will
look up to me and beg, "Save us," and I will whisper back, "No."," sounds way too awkward and too slapped together. Getting rid of the last part (and I will whisper...) might fix the problem.

The symbolism and metaphors need to be downplayed; it's good to have them, but you can't slap them all together in a piece of flash fiction that is less than 500 words. Indeed, if the latter is what you are striving for, then you need to make this a lot simpler. Right now, the piece does not rest by itself as it needs more, lots more.

However, as a character sketch, this is well done, and it would be very useful material for a well-developed story. But, as a story, this falters. It's too much and too little at the same time.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:45 pm
Incandescence says...

Heehee. It was actually written in my Post-Apocalyptic Narratives course, when we were analyzing The Watchmen (hence the title, "Who watches the watchmen?") and had to do a character summary of Rorschach. But I kind of altered that to make it a little more suitable.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green