z

Young Writers Society

Hourglass

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu May 05, 2005 12:16 pm
Sam says...

Hee hee, I have such a weird mind. Read on to find out. :P
Edit: If you don't get the whole hands thing...ehm...ask our very own Firestarter...he'd know. :P
Critique/Enjoy!

[This is written in the viewpoint of Liberty]

His lank, shinky hair flops down in front of his eyes, partly obscuring the lenses of his crude reading spectacles. His hair is black, pure black, like obsidian. Like a raven. Like sin.

O, but his eyes, his eyes, his eyes.

His brilliant violet eyes seem to penetrate, to peer into your very soul, radiating hate. Love. Utter confusion.

His lips are but tiny lines of pink in an abyss of milky, almost ghostly skin. They look so stern, so rough, but O, they are incredibly soft to the touch.

He is starting to look like a man; his shoulders broadening, his waist thinning. He is muscular, oh yes, but he has the build of a gentleman- it does not fit him and the laborious lifestyle that God has chosen for him. His hands are calloused and are shiny with burns but his fingers are slender, with nails perfect and unchipped. Smudges of blue ink litter them, contrasting greatly with his skin. He holds a book in his arms, the lettering on the cover faded and worn- although, if one squints, they can make out the title, The Compleat Works of William Shakespeare.

It may be his shirt is too large and his britches are too small, but what does that matter?

Tell me, good Reverend Fairchilde, why have you marked off my esteemed Luke as a mere poor, homely, unenlightened boy? He is nearly a man, and in no way ugly or destitute!

Or, perhaps you think he is a threat?

Yea, we all know the events that took place at Havettefield Main three years ago. We all know he killed a man. O, but it was to save his brother from the same fate! Surely one could understand!

But perhaps a few of us are still cold and unforgiving, O good Reverend Fairchilde?

He has repented, he has sought for forgiveness from the Father, like any good Christian should. He is humble, he does not brag about such things, although I understand it is quite a right of passage for men to show off how strong they are, to test their mettle.

You treat him like some sinful peasant, when the poor boy is racked with spells of melancholy that threaten to overcome his entire being. He still has terrible visions of the man as the bullet plunged into his chest...

O, but my Luke is beautiful, he is perfect in all respects. Good Reverend Fairchilde, I know you warned against feeling in such a way about a man before one marries, but I cannot help it.

O, how love twists and obscures matters so!

Irk, I hate it when writers do this...
this is kind of a spin-off of the Song of Songs (Solomon, if you prefer). If you haven't read it, I think it's between like Proverbs and Malaci or some obscure prophet like that. It's basically a really long love poem...*corny music plays*

The creepy thing is...this is mainly just subconsious thoughts...it's like I actually become these people...can't exactly help it if it's bad. *twitch*

Tell me if it is, certainly, however. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 05, 2005 12:56 pm
Nate says...

I'm confused about who exactly Liberty is; that is, the narrator came off as too ambigious. I assume it's a woman since Liberty is more of a female name, but I couldn't tell if Liberty was Luke's mother or his girlfriend.

Other than that though, this was really good. The descriptions are vivid and crafted well and I like the colloquial language used, although at times it seemed too formal with all the O's.

Overall, I thought it was nicely done.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu May 05, 2005 3:22 pm
Firestarter says...

Bit strange, and confusing, not my favourite of your passages, but still well-written. I just didn't like the style.

Tha hands thing...you mean the powder marks?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Thu May 05, 2005 8:23 pm
Sam says...

you'll get it later...heehee...

Thanks, Jack and Nate!

- Demetri Martin

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Thu May 05, 2005 11:52 pm
hekategirl says...

This is very good and very descriptive Sam. I don't really know if you need something this style in 'Hourglass' but its fine. And By the way Nate, this is an add-on to previous segments, didn't know if ya knew that :D
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Fri May 06, 2005 12:05 pm
Sam says...

I'm trying to make it kind of like War and Peace, where there's a ton of different people's viewpoints all on the same thing mashed together. But I have to ask you, does she sound profoundly different from Luke?

- Demetri Martin

1258 Reviews

Sun May 08, 2005 1:11 pm
Sam says...

Well, peoples, me is off to Disney World...

I'll be back in a week. Hopefully...between plane and pool time...there shall be a big update upon my return. :D

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue May 17, 2005 2:36 am
Elizabeth says...

Oh wow this was very discriptive... I loved it! Who is Liberty? I missed that bit. Ooh, their face is haunting my thoughts... like... some kind of... gothic ghost to like.... a pink cheerleader or something.

1258 Reviews

Tue May 17, 2005 2:39 am
Sam says...

Liberty is his g-i-r-l-f-r-i-e-n-d

how exactly could you miss that? tea meat on you! :D

- Demetri Martin

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 pm
antigone says...

Whoa that is amazing. Very very very very good. :D :D
But I can't find any of the other parts so I'm confused. Somebody help me!!!!

1258 Reviews

Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 pm
Sam says...

Hang on...I'll make you a list...

- Demetri Martin

1258 Reviews

I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster