z

Young Writers Society

Going Outside (incomplete, by a long shot)

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun May 22, 2005 12:21 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I started writing this last night and my head was full of ideas and i was truly inspired for the first time in ages. Then when i came back to it today i had nothing :( . So I'm submitting it to see what people think of it so far and what they think would make it better. Perhaps maybe then I'll be motivated to finish it. Don't get angry at me for cutting off when it seems like its just getting started. Enjoy. (well, at least as much as you can)

Going Outside

The thought was running rampant across my mind. The thought of how lethargic it makes you feel to be inside when its raining. Longing to be free. Not to be looking at the lightning from a window but to be offering yourself to it with arms in the air, screaming your own name and what it means to you. How can someone feel better than what they are when all they can do is listen to the thunder, and not connect with its words? Equality at its finest is getting your back soaked by lying on the wet grass and looking up at the falling rain that covering your clothes in sweet euphoria. This was living. Being inside was not.

I sat there for many an hour staring at the storm and wishing. All i wanted was to be of the weather and leave behind dryness and its enititlements. To pass the time i talked to myself about absolutely nothing, just to keep within the blurred boundaries of insanity. The almost trustworthy man on the radio said the storm wouldn't stop all night, and i forced myself to believe him. I guess that meant I didn't have to rush myself in contemplating an escape. I knew beyond all doubt that i wouldn't be kept inside while Mother Nature was showing what she was capable of. So after all the conteplation of virtually nothing, i had chosen the only option i had given myself. I was going outside.

On the way to the door in my room i briefly looked at my raincoat. In that short amount of time I figured that the raincoat is like a condom, and i wanted to fall pregnant. It was left hanging on my bedpost. All i was wearing was a brown t-shirt and a pair of pants with a camouflage pattern on them. I was barefoot too. Barefoot was the only way to do this kind of thing, even though it takes away all the feeling in your feet. Who needs feeling anyway? So i walked out the front door with nothing more than a sideways glance from my mum. She knew that i liked to go outside when the weather was like this and she had stopped trying to keep me inside years ago, when it had proved impossible.

Just a few steps out the door and i felt king of all i saw before me. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my house is higher up than any on the street and i looked down on them, or maybe it was just because i was the only living thing in sight; everyone else was inside. Still, standing here wasn't going to give the feeling i really wanted because i was still covered by the front porch. So i took a deep breath and began my 'journey' with a refreshing run across the front lawn with an occasional jump and click of my heels. Sure, i was hoping i wouldn't fall on the slippery green mass at my feet but it wouldn't have mattered if i did, all that mattered was getting up afterwards. I didn't slip after all. From the front yard i continued down the street for about 5 houses and then turned into the alleyway the led to the park. The park was my destination for the moment but it occured to me that i would most likely end up somewhere else by the time i had satisfied myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:roll:
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun May 22, 2005 5:01 pm
View Likes
Shriek says...

-Grins.- Oooh, this is a wonderful concept. I love the opening paragraph--it definately makes me want to run around like a madwoman the next time a rainstorm comes through here. However, please watch your verb tenses. For example:

...Equality at its finest is getting your back soaked by lying on the wet grass and looking up at the falling rain that covering your clothes in sweet euphoria. This was living. Being inside was not.

That read a tad awkwardly. Please choose a verb tense and stick with it. And that "covering" bit should be "covers".

It seems like you've got the beginnings to a wonderful story here, just please watch your grammar. And hopefully you will find some inspiration to finish it. ^_^
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon May 23, 2005 7:48 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

My question is what brought on these thoughts at the beginning, and what was happening. It's okay to start with an interior monologue, but there needs to be things happening. Good concept, but needs to a little more figuring out.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

131 Reviews

Thu May 26, 2005 7:56 am
View Likes
Ohio Impromptu says...

Well the thoughts came from when i asked a friend of mine for inspiration. She asked me how i felt at that exact moment and i told her that i was listening to the thunder and rain and having a strange desire to go outside. So from there i just put what i knew into words. :D

With any luck I'll get this finished some time in the next couple of days. Keep a look-out for it.

Anyone else wanna add anything?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu May 26, 2005 4:22 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

That's great if it's going to be something that's just for yourself. But if it's going to be something that other people will read, it has to have something that makes sense for the character, not just for you.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Thu May 26, 2005 11:10 pm
Mattie says...

Not the most interesting title, but once I started reading that didn't matter. I really loved the opening paragraph too, but what I really loved was this one sentence:

The park was my destination for the moment but it occured to me that i would most likely end up somewhere else by the time i had satisfied myself.

That was great. Besides the fact that it was very insperational. The only thing I think you should fix is go back and capatalize your "I's" because while reading that really bugged me and I got distracted by looking at all of them. :) This was great, can't wait to read a more complete version. ;)

131 Reviews

Fri May 27, 2005 8:24 am
View Likes
Ohio Impromptu says...

Sorry about the I's. Its just become a habit to not capitalize them when i type. Mainly because if I'm using microsoft word it does it for me. This piece wasnt written there so they were left uncapitalized, sorry. I'll put it through word when i post the finished version just for you. :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Fri May 27, 2005 3:11 pm
View Likes
emotion_less says...

The last paragraph was a bit confusing, but I like the way you wrote it.

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25