z

Young Writers Society

An Odd Life [humour]

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:59 pm
Sureal says...

For some strange and unknown reason, I’m sitting here ready to write a story. I have nothing in mind at all – no plot, characters or ideas. All I know is that I’m going to write a humour story.
I’ve tried that before.
I failed as well.
Miserably.

None the less, I am ready to try again. Of course – I really should think it through first. But I’m actually quite bored, so whatever.

The hardest part will probably be starting. Well, actually – that’s a lie. That’ll probably be quite easy. But the hard part will be coming up with a coherent plot out of the randomness that spews from my grey brain.
Have you ever seen a brain? They really are grey. So weird.
Anyway – I’m getting away from the point… back to the story…

Wish me luck.

An Odd Life

Ted was sitting – alone – in the old dump yard. It was far from a pleasant place – the smell, the view… everything… was disgusting to a lesser or greater extent (unfortunately, it was pretty much always the greater). But it did have one redeeming feature, which is what had drawn Ted there.

The peace and the quiet was nothing short on luxury.
Of course, Ted enjoyed company, but sometimes he wanted to be alone and undisturbed. In that regard, he felt like he was garbage.
Literally – garbage was something that had once enjoyed the company of humans, but now sort its peace, away from everyone else.

Ted could also have compared himself to leaves from a tree… a young bird of prey leaving its parents… or shit being flushed down the bog.

The trees had sounded like a good idea – but people were always going for walks up there. At any rate, Ted had been forcibly removed from the nearest forest, after trying to lead the trees into an uprising against the human oppressors. It had all just been a game (as he later patiently explained to the psychiatrists) but not everyone found it all that amusing.

Ted had no idea about where to find some birds of prey, or how to convince them to shut up long enough for him to think.

So that left the sewers or the junkyard.
Rather unfortunately, the junkyard hadn’t been the one he’d first tried. It had taken three days and eight firemen to rescue him.

None the less, he was in the dump yard now, enjoying the quiet, listening to the rather peaceful drip drip drip of an upturned flask of uranium, dumped there by a scientist with no sense of environmentally (or common sense for that matter).

Ted believed that the radioactive waste had been placed there in order to create an army of zombies, poised to take over the world and cause the well-known and much anticipated Holy Apocalypse (though admittedly, only actual Christians were anticipating it. Everyone else was kind of hoping it’d never happen. Going to Hell for all of Eternity was considered to be a bit of a bummer).
That, however, was complete and utter bull doody.
The truth was far more sinister…

‘Oy! Ted!’ A voice called, hidden from sight by large piles of junk, ‘Where the hell are you? Ted! TED!’

Ted sighed. It looked as though his peaceful existence was over. ‘I’m over here Chris,’ he called out to the searcher.
‘Where?’
‘By the junk.’
‘… oh yes, thank you for that. You’re about as much help as a brain dead dung beetle.’
Ted sniffed, offended.
‘And while we’re at it, you look like a dwarf chimp with no sense of hygiene and an allergy to food.’

Chris… wasn’t exactly the trustworthiest person you could find… but he had the sort of brain that meant he was often employed to solve tricky problems. Of course, if there was personal gain to be had, Chris was never afraid of stabbing his employer in the back (only metaphorically, of course).

Ted’s brain – on the other hand – was an anorexic apricot.

Chris was in his early-twenties, Ted still in his mid-teens. They only really worked together as Ted would do anything, and would work for cheap.

‘Look – Ted – I’ve got the two of us a job.’ Chris said, glancing around in a bid to find somewhere clean to sit.
Ted was intrigued – they hadn’t had a job for a while now, ‘Really? Where?’
‘A bank. So I want you to look respectable…’ Chris’ voice trailed off as he surveyed his mucky companion, ‘… well, as respectable as a bum like you can look.’
‘Hey – I’m no tramp…’ Ted muttered, shaking his head full of unwashed hair.
Chris gently sat down and conceded, ‘Well, maybe, but you smell like one.’

And… that’s all I have time for today folks. It’s getting late, I can’t be bothered to sit around and write any more of this dribble.
Maybe tomorrow then.
When I’m feeling more up to dribbling.
I wrote the above just for you.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:51 pm
antigone says...

Ooh, I like it. please write more. It's funny and I like Ted. There's a few typos, maybe you should read through it once more. Good job though. :)

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:49 am
Liz says...

Not bad. You created the characters pretty well considering you improvised. You need to edit but that's about it. Good job.
purple sneakers

506 Reviews

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:18 pm
Sureal says...

Yeah - I didn't really put too much effort into getting the spellings and typos fixed. But meh, I'm still too lazy ;).
Whee - part two!

Aha – another day, and a little more writing to do.
Goody.

Chris was leading Ted down to the bank… he hadn’t yet explained to Ted what it was they were doing, so the teen amused himself by imagining various different jobs they could do.
They could…

Take down bank robbers. Yeah! With guns and everything. And then Ted would be a hero after knocking out all five robbers. And he would also have saved Chris’ life. Not to mention the barely dressed, vastly bosomed lady he would have rescued. And then he would take her home for tea and biscuits.
Ted didn’t have much of an imagination when it came to girls. He knew he was meant to do something with them, but wasn’t entirely sure what.

Sex education had left him with less of a clue then he had gone in with. This is also why teenage pregnancy has increased…
Teenagers aren’t aware that sticking things in each other will make babies… When you think about it, you wouldn’t expect that to happen, would you? Must come as quite a shock.
After all, a stalk doesn’t actually come into it anywhere… unless ‘stalk’ is actually another word for ‘penis’.
They come into it quite a lot.
Usually faster than the girls would like.

By the time Ted had snapped out of his daydream, Chris had stopped walking. Looking up, he found himself in front of a shop, with the title, ‘CHeAp CLOTHeS!!! Get TheM chEaP!!!!!’
It wasn’t exactly the best looking shop in the town. The brown sign was rotted and damaged. The glass was chipped, dirty and a rather odd orange colour. And the door looked so old, that Ted reckoned it could fetch a hardy sum of money in an antique auction.

‘Why are we hear?’ Ted asked (misspelling and all).
Chris fixed his young companion with a hard stare, ‘I told you – we’ve got to clean you up. And that includes getting some new clothes.’

Ted looked at the miserable excuse for a shop, ‘But why here – this place looks terrible.’
Chris turned back to face the shop, ‘It’s the cheapest clothes store in town. At any rate, I’d have expected you’d quite like the look. Should remind you of home.’

Ted sighed and scratched his head. After a very slight pause, he muttered, ‘Fine, let’s go in. But I don’t wanna stay for long.’
Chris nodded, ‘Good. But… really, you didn’t think you had a choice did you? You’re going in, no matter what.’
‘But… why?’ Ted asked, a look of surprise on his dirty face.
‘I want you to look your best.’

Ted grinned appreciatively at Chris, ‘Oh, thank you! Thank you! I didn’t think you cared so mu-’
‘Look – shut up and go in. You annoying little bastard.’

Right – that’s it for tonight as well.
You may be wondering why I’m still even bothering… well it’s quite simple. I figure that if I keep on trying, I’ll eventually figure out how to make it funny.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:50 am
Elizabeth says...

I read it because I was in your power :hands you a lemonade: and I didn't think it would lead to this. I'll read the rest later, my dad is being mean tonight.

506 Reviews

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:23 pm
Sureal says...

I read it... and I didn't think it would lead to this.

I'm sitting here, tyring to figure of it's that a good thing or a not so good thing ;).

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:01 pm
the_red_gem says...

Your blog commanded me to read your story and I'm glad it did. Well done to you. I paticularly like the bit "Going to Hell for all of Eternity was considered to be a bit of a bummer". Have you ever read any of Douglas Adams' work. I feel it's the same vein of humour.

506 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:11 pm
Sureal says...

Nope - never read any of his stuff. I've heard of him, of course, but I've never taken the time to read any.
Anyways...

Yes, it’s me again, with my story again.
You! At the back!
No groaning!

The inside of the clothes shop was – rather amazingly – the opposite of its exterior. Beautifully painted walls… a spotless, marble floor… a high, grand ceiling. Even the stair set was made of gold.
The very air itself seemed to be scrubbed clean, and felt easier and more satisfying to breathe then anything else Ted had ever come across.
The atmosphere felt pleasantly warm and calm, giving the illusion of a beautiful summers day (something unheard of elsewhere England).

When presented with such overwhelming beauty and passion, Chris had this to say:
‘Fuh - king hell!’

Ted was busy glancing around himself in bland admiration, ‘Looks more like Heaven to me, Chris,’ he murmured.
‘Indeed, you are right, my little man.’
Ted jumped. The voice had come from right behind him, yet Ted hadn’t heard anyone walk there.

Turning around, Ted found him face to breast with a lady.
This lady had golden hair, pinned to the top of her head, almost as though it didn’t get along with gravity and had no wish to be associated with it in any way. Her face was pale, and not really all that remarkable – with the exception of her eyes.
Which were remarkable.

‘You the shop assistant?’ Chris asked, his eyes lingering for a moment on a vase that was clearly valuable.
‘You could say that,’ she remarked, ‘Nice to meet the two of you. My name’s Ahveen.’
‘Ah – yes. Nice to meet you… Ahveen? That’s a… rather odd name… isn’t it?’
‘Not where I come from.’ Ahveen replied pleasantly.

Ted wondered where she did indeed come from. Some foreign country he guessed. They all have funny names over there.
Like Bob.
No one in England was called Bob. It just wasn’t done.

‘Yes, well, this is Ted,’ Chris said, indicating to his partner, ‘And don’t be mislead by his appearance… he does actually know how to use soap. He just refuses too.’
Chris pauses for a second, and then held out his own hand, ‘And my name’s Chris.’

Ahveen smiled, ‘Christopher. Named after Jesus Christ I see. You must be quite a man.’
Ted – who thought Chris had more in common with the Anti-Christ then anyone else – agreed. Chris was indeed quite a man. Everyone he met remembered his name forever.

It was one of the reasons they had to keep on moving.

I’m bored right now. This will continue another time (when I’m less bored).

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 am
Jennafina says...

I like this!! its really funny, I cant wait to see the next instalment! I dont get why its R though. Maybe Ill find out later.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

506 Reviews

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:03 pm
Sureal says...

I'ts R because I'm English and don't understand the American rating system ;).

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:13 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I'm glad I found the time to read this. It's very refreshing and like someone said before me 'smacks of Douglas Adams'. if you ever have the time pick up a book of his, if only for a minute. But this is very unique and interesting. Don't really have much of a critique to give you, but here are some things I really liked.

trees into an uprising against the human oppressors
-- hehe ents...LOTR...hehheh

Ted’s brain – on the other hand – was an anorexic apricot.
- that must be one of the greatest lines ever written.

Not to mention the barely dressed, vastly bosomed lady he would have rescued. And then he would take her home for tea and biscuits. Ted didn’t have much of an imagination when it came to girls. He knew he was meant to do something with them, but wasn’t entirely sure what.
– had me trying to smother a laugh there, hehheh

Like Bob.
No one in England was called Bob. It just wasn’t done.
- it's true. it's not done.

]And don’t be mislead by his appearance… he does actually know how to use soap. He just refuses too.’
- heeheehee

Ahveen smiled, ‘Christopher. Named after Jesus Christ I see. You must be quite a man.’
Ted – who thought Chris had more in common with the Anti-Christ then anyone else – agreed. Chris was indeed quite a man. Everyone he met remembered his name forever.
- i like you sense of humor.

oh and keep it up. I hope you don't get too bored.

cheers CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

506 Reviews

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:51 pm
Sureal says...

Glad you liked it :).

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:08 pm
Meshugenah says...

teehee. This was quite entertaining.

as to the rating, you shoud have put "XXX" then everyone would have read it. And I'm american (most days), and I don't get the rating system, but something with three x's has a strange appeal to it (although what kind, I can't say).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:23 pm
bluecows says...

is it because of that movie tripple x? da 1 wid vin desil, howeva u spell it.
maybe u cud put 10/10 on da side or sumin, every1 wud get dat

have a nice day
bluecows :wink:
To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour. – William Blake

I was lying in bed, watching the stars and i thought, 'where the hell is the ceiling?' :wink:

506 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:04 pm
Sureal says...

To make it XXX...

Ahveen rolled over, getting into a more comfortable position. Next to her lay Chris.
'That was amazing,' breathed Ahveen, 'I've never seen a ding-a-ling used so well before.'
Chris just smirked, 'Yes - well I practice a lot.'

Ahveen looked shocked, 'You practice? On who?'
Chris grunted something under his breath.
'No! Not on... a sheep?'

It was Chris' turn to look shocked, 'No, woman! Of course not! I'm not as low as that.'
Ahveen smiled and layed her head back on the pillow, 'Of course not. But... then wh-'
Chris shifted, embaressed, 'Well... there's this hole in my bedroom wall...'

... Actually...
No.
Definatly not.

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality