z

Young Writers Society

If Only

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:38 am
Carmina says...

(This is the first story I've written in 3 years. Its not too long, so hopefully it is readable. I am still nervous about posting. I had a friend look at it for me before posting, but it presented here in unedited form.)

If Only

A gasp. A lurch. Another nightmare.

He wakes, rolls toward her and puts his hand on her shoulder. She starts, shrinks from his touch.

“Don’t.” Her voice is thick. Did she start crying before or after the dream woke her? She seems to sound like that all the time now.

“I just wanted to…” Comfort you. Make it all right.

“Just don’t.” She sits up, reaches for her bathrobe and pulls it around her shoulders.

In the lurid green glow of the clock, he watches her hold the robe tightly around herself as she stands and makes her way on naked feet across the cluttered floor to the bathroom, shuts the door behind her, shuts herself from his sight. He hears the door lock, a cabinet open and shut, water running in the shower.

In the hall outside the bedroom, the dog stirs, whines, and resettles with her back against the bedroom door, which thumps against the door jam.

Sorry Sweetie, you’re not allowed in here anymore.

He rolls back to his side of the bed and looks at the clock. 2:ooa.m. How many nights like this? How long since they slept through the night, together, curled one with the other? It hasn’t been that long. A few weeks? The change had been sudden, traumatic. He knows what caused it, the nightmares, the distance. Would never forget. It had been traumatic for him too, hadn’t it? No. He can’t even think that. That’s just his guilt, his pain.

It shouldn’t have happened. It wouldn’t have happened if only… If only. Stop thinking about that. It won’t help her now.

He rolls over so he is facing her side of the bed. His eyes are accustomed to the dim light of the clock, and he can see the impression her body left in the sheets, the dent her head had left in the pillow. He listens to the roar of the shower and imagines the steam filling the small bathroom, his wife standing under the hot stream. Or does she sit, too tired and weak to stand? He doesn’t know which. He knows the water would be hot, much hotter than he could stand. He knows that she would scrub her skin, wash over and over. Would she scrub at the nearly faded bruises on her wrists and thighs? Or would she shy from the tender healing skin, from all the tender places? He only knows that she will come back to bed only when the water runs cold and her skin is red from the scrubbing. That she will lie down as far from him as possible, curl into a ball, make herself small. This is the routine now. How long would it continue?

He closes his eyes and listens to the water. He w on’t sleep until she comes back. Until he
knows she’s coming back. The unbidden thought comes upon him, the one that has haunted him every night since it happened, every night of these nightmares and mid-night showers. The thought of her lying in the bathtub, over-dosed on painkillers and anti-depressants, bleeding, both. He listens closely through the sound of the water, listens for sounds of her movements. He thinks about how to pick the lock on the door if it becomes necessary. He made sure to learn soon after she began to do this. He has to protect her from herself. Protect her like he should have then.

It would have been a simple thing. Just go with her. She had asked him to come with her. It was late; he knew she didn’t like to walk the dog after dark. It had just been so hot that day. It was cooler after sunset, but still he had said no. It was still too hot.

If only he had gone with her; two people look less vulnerable than one woman with a small dog. If only he had gone, they wouldn’t have taken the shortcut through the park. Stay on the sidewalk, he always said. Stay where it’s lit.

If only… But it was too hot. Too damn hot. And, “if only” doesn’t help her. It just feeds the guilt. He can’t indulge in that now. Not when she can come back to bed any minute.

Later, when she’s asleep, he will think of everything he had done wrong. Everything he should have done right. Later, he can cry.

He puts the thoughts of “if only” aside and listens to the water again. Vigilant. Protective. Just like a husband should be. And he waits for the water to turn off. For his wife to feel clean enough and calm enough to sleep. For the memories and nightmares, they are the same thing after all, to wash away for the night.

Silence replaces the roar of water, then he hears her footsteps pad across the linoleum. He closes his eyes and concentrates on slowing his breathing. Let her think he slept, that he dozed off after she left him, that he doesn’t wait up for her, that her pain isn’t his own. She doesn’t need that burden.

She sits on the edge of the bed and removes the bathrobe. He stirs, yawns, pretends that she’s woken him. He reaches out to her, brushes his right hand against her left, across the naked finger that once wore his ring before, in a final insult, it was taken from her. Taken along with so much else. She pulls her hand away, lays down with her back to him.

“I’m sorry,” he says. For so much more than you know. He wants to tell her that he loves her, that he wants to help her get better, that he blames himself, that… But he can’t. His guilt and pain have risen as a lump in his throat. To speak more would be to sob, to let her know his pain. He rolls away form her and forces the lump back down. Later. He will keep it to himself. Take her pain on him and put none of his on her. This is his penance. His suffering. And what is his suffering compared to hers?
I reject your reality and substitute my own

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:19 am
Ego says...

Carmina, I love this--I really do--powerful and emotional, it is presented in just such a way that it thumbs a string on the soul.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:29 am
Crysi says...

You are by far one of the best writer's I've come across. This is just so POWERFUL. I love everything about it. You've mastered the emotions and movements of these characters, making them so real.. And you include tiny but potent details, such as how her ring was stolen. This is fantastic writing.. I have absolutely no doubt you'll get published someday. I'm in total awe. Just.. wow. Magnificent.
Love and Light

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:23 am
Liz says...

Great. Um...let me try to think of some crit. No, sorry. It's brilliant. Great work.
purple sneakers

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:03 am
Shadow Knight says...

I have never read anything that good, in my life, and I mean that.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:08 am
Emma says...

:shock:

No, really, you wrote this? It is amazing, I feel for the woman and the man. I really want to read more of your stories, its just so amazing. You could become the new top author and knock those Harry Potter books of the shelf!

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:16 am
Duskglimmer says...

This is really impressive. I couldn't stop reading it. My only problem with it, is that you never actually told what happened to her that night. My mind sort of made up it's only little story of what may have happened to her, but you never gave enough to entirely clarify it. I'm not really asking for you to come out and tell us, but just give a few more hints, so that we understand without it being shoved in our faces.

Other than that, it was really well done. You captured his emotions really well, especially his thought of not wanting to add to her pain by showing that it hurt him too. It was really nicely done.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 am
Ceylon says...

Ok. Sweet. congratulation on whatever you did. It was descriptive- very sensational. Your theme moved crisply, I can see.
juste essayer

La fin d'ordinaire, et vous ne verriez pas ce que vient.

Comment bon il s'avérera être..

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:17 am
Carmina says...

This is response to Duskglimmer. I know I didn't say what it was that happened. I was wondering when someone would say something about that. I like ambiguity. I know it means that some people miss the point. I'm just not sure where the line is between letting people use their imagination and shoving something in their face. What did you imagine? It is probably what I was thinking, or just as traumatic. I want the reader to use their imagination, but I don't want the reader lost either. It's a difficult line.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:34 am
Crysi says...

I actually like the mystery of it. I think you did a great job hinting to the real story without spelling it out for the reader. Let the reader use his or her brain! And you gave tiny details that further hinted to the incident, such as the bruises on her wrists and thighs. Not many can pull that off successfully, so congratulations on being one of the few who can! :D
Love and Light

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:35 am
Bobo says...

Wow, Hunter was right. This is great! Keep on it, Carmina!

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 pm
DarkerSarah says...

This is a very well written piece. It was crisp and smooth at the same time. You let the reader feel what the husband is feelings, while keeping the wife at arm's length. Yet, we don't lose the emotion of her traumatic experience.

I also feel that the vagueness of what happened to her that night was well done. Like you said, it's good for the reader to use their imagination. Sometimes, their better at it than the writer is. And that way, they can't be disappointed.

Excellent work and congratulations on being Member of the Month!

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:24 pm
Rei says...

I'm going to have to be the mean one and say that I didn't like it very much. What everyone else said is true. I liked the fact that you didn't say what happened. It's always good to leave things up to the imagination of the reader if you know how. The only problem is that I couldn't tell that you knew, because while all the emotions were there, it seemed like you were disconnected from them, like you didn't know why it was happening. Even if you want to write it in such a way that the reader can make up her/his own mind about the event, you need to know for yourself.

For me, a good piece of writing will make me feel something, and this didn't make me feel a thing.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:07 am
Areida says...

Oh God, that was beautiful.

Absolutely believable, heart-wrenching, and vivid. I think you pulled off the ambiguity just fine, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just little things that you dropped in here and there gave me enough of a picture of what had happened to understand: the bruises, the fact that he'd stayed home and she looked more vulnerable, she didn't stay on the path, she showered and scrubbed as hard as she could to get clean.

You deserve Member of the Month even if it was only for this story. Fantastic job.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:14 am
Kilty says...

This is a really good peice of work. I like the uncertainty. It makes you think. Not a lot of people can do that without distracting the reader, but I wasn't distracted. Good story!

I just want to be the side character in a book that basically steals the whole series.
— avianwings47