No votes
The Sea Of Grey
100%

Total votes : 4

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 am
Fireweed says...

This is a bit mushy for my taste, but my sister insisted i put it on here. I considered putting it in romantic fiction, put i decided it was more like a story of recovery than romance. comments and title suggestions very welcome!!!
heres me story:

It was a grey day. The sea was not green or blue even clear, just a vast, endless, opaque grey, the color of slate. There were no quaint little boats, nor was it dotted with tiny green islands. There were only the grey gulls skimming the waves, crying racously.
The sky was all cloud, not even a tiny hole of blue or a hopeful ray of sunshine. The seperation between sky and sea would have been nonexistent if not for a long, thin strip of grey-green hills, and even that was blurred by wispy fog, tossed into peaks by the wind like meringue on a pie.

Perched atop a craggy grey cliff was a small, sturdy cabin, and at it's window there sat a girl, gazing wistfully out at the sea. A grey girl, with pale skin, sad grey eyes, and scraggly, shoulder length brown hair.
She stared at her reflection in the window. Grace. The name did notfit her grey, non - descript appearance. She had never really thought about the way she looked before. Isaac had told her she was pretty.

"Oh no," She thought.She had promised herself she would not think of him, that she would not cry today.None the less, tears began streaking down her pale cheeks.

She watched the rain drops slither across the window pane. It was a dull, lifeless rain, not the sparkling, exhilerating kind of rain she loved, not the kind of rain she had danced in with Isaac so long ago...

She could not look upon anything without thinking of her Isaac, not the rain, not the sea, not the beautiful driftwood figures he had carved that adorned every shelf in the house.

Dear Isaac. She could see him now, his rosy cheeks,his bouncy black curls, his playful brown eyes. Suddenly her sadness turned to anger. Why had the sea taken him away?

Abrubtly, Grace rose to her feet. What was she doing, moping around inside feeling sorry for herself? This is not what Isaac would have wanted for her. She realized it was her, not the rain, that had changed. She was the only one stopping herself.

Grace darted out the door and into the rain. She closed her eyes. She could feel Isaac's warm, srong arms around her, she could hear him humming "The Blue Danube Waltz." "I love you Gracie,"he whispered in her ear.

She opened her eyes. She was soaked to the bone and shivering, but she barely noticed, she was so happy.If anybody saw her they'd think she was crazy. She didn't care. Maybe she was.She kicked off her heavy wooden clogs and splashed in a puddle, giggling like a little girl.

Finally she began to heed the cold. She ran back inside to fix herself a cup of tea, still laughing. She had needed this so badly. She had to move on, Isaac would have wanted her to. And if she found herself crying, well, there was always the rain.[/size]
Last edited by Fireweed on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:42 am
Elizabeth says...

It was a grey day. The sea was not green or blue even clear, just a vast, endless, opaque grey, the color of slate. There were no quaint little boats, nor was it dotted with tiny green islands. There were only the grey gulls skimming the waves, crying racously

I think you used the word GREY too much.

Perched atop a craggy grey cliff was a small, sturdy cabin, and at it's window there sat a girl, gazing wistfully out at the
sea. A grey girl, with pale skin, sad grey eyes, and scraggly, shoulder length brown hair.
She stared at her reflection in the window. Grace. The name did notfit her grey, non - descript appearance. She had never really thought about the way she looked before. Isaac had told her she was pretty.

There you go with the grey again!

The rest was decent I suppose. I really liked the comparison to her sad soul to the rain. Just get rid of the word grey and you're all set.

Random avatar

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 pm
Fireweed says...

ya i know i used the word grey alot, but that was kinda the whole point, that the world seemed grey to her because she was so sad.Maybe i overdid it though. see when i wrote this i didnt really know where it would go, i was just staring out the window and scribbling in my notebook, and it was a really dismal day. when im stuck i just start describing things...
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:13 am
Jennafina says...

Your story is cute and short and sweet!! I like it! Its got lots of cool descriptions, I like how you compare the water to the color of slate.
I don't have any ideas for a title, though. Sorry, but I cant think of anything good.
I don't want to sound like a hipocrite, but there is a q in the middle of a was when you are talking about how she gets dreanched to the bone. I have a ton of typos in my stuff too though so I probably shouldn't say anything..

Again, awesome story!! Your sister is right! You should post more cool stuff!!
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:50 pm
Fireweed says...

Thanx Jennafina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frosty:
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:32 am
antigone says...

This is good. Maybe in the beginning there was a tiny bit too much GREY, but then again that is sort of the point. So whatever. The only other thing I saw was in some places the language was a bit too flowery, it seemed kind of pretentious. For example:

"She could not look upon anything..."

Mightn't just 'look at' be better?

And there are a few other places like that were it seems like you could tone it down a bit. Also it's not really clear why she suddenly decides to stop feeling sorry for herself. Couldn't she have done that months ago? Why now?

Overall though, it was sweet and well done if slightly mushy. Nice job!
Siempre, siempre: jardin de mi agonia,
tu cuerpo fugitivo para siempre,
la sangre de tus venas en mi boca,
tu boca ya sin luz para mi muerte.

-From 'Del amor imprevisto', Federico Garcia Lorca

Random avatar

Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:29 pm
Fireweed says...

Thanks! Any title suggestions, anyone?
Last edited by Fireweed on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:02 am
Rincewind says...

You should probobly call it Grey.
Or Grey Sunday
Sea of Grey
The Seaside
The Grey

That about all I got for now.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

657 Reviews

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:44 pm
Jennafina says...

you could call it The Blue Danube Waltz.. Or not, perhaps its to irelevent. Yah.. Sorry thats all i have.

forum353.html

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:42 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, the word grey is overused, but I liked it. Didn't seem too mushy. The tone was just right, and so was the length. The character was strong and I had a pretty good image in my mind.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:58 am
Fireweed says...

Thanks for responding everybody!

As for the title, I like the sea of grey and I like the blue danube waltz, but i think I'll go with the sea of grey because it's more relevant. Thaks anyway, Jenna.
Last edited by Fireweed on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 am
Rincewind says...

Indeed, my vote is slightly biased.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

657 Reviews

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:10 am
Jennafina says...

The sea of grey is good. Mine was pretty stupid, I was just throwing out radom ideas.

forum353.html

Random avatar

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:22 pm
Fireweed says...

no it wasnt stupid at all jennafina, i liked it but i just thought the sea of grey kinda fit the story better,no offense. :D

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:55 pm
hekategirl says...

You do use the word 'Grey' alot but like you said that was kind of the whole point, and I hink titiling 'The Sea Of Gray' made that more apparent. But maybe using 'Grey' a little more in the end might be better, or cut back on the 'Grey' in the beginning.
but this was a sweet story, maybe expand on it. But its nice.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling