z

Young Writers Society

Hourglass!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:24 am
Areida says...

Dang.

Good gravy, Sam, that was one of your greatest Hourglasses. The only nitpick I have is that the beginning seemed a bit too contemporary, but I'm not really sure how you could change that... hmm. Oh well. It's not bad or anything.

You should put all these together on her; it'd be cool to read 'em all at once. How many pages is this thing now? :shock:
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:26 am
hekategirl says...

Oh my gosh, that was great. You could smell, feel, hear everything that was going on.
'twas great Sam :D
And areida, I've read the whole thing put together and its great like that. I haven't read it with the new stuff though, should be better.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:47 am
Snoink says...

I know why it seemed contemporary! *waves hand in the air*

Because you described the click of the gun! See? That implies modern rifles, not muskets. Or blunderbusses. But really... I would use a sword if I were in their place.

*smirks* I should get an award...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:29 pm
Misty says...

wow sam. I didn't get this because i haven't read the previous ones recently. *pants, running to read the others*

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 pm
Sam says...

YAY SNOINKY SNOINKY OINKY OINKY!

Thankus. I didn't even notice that...:D Thanks for reading, guys!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:35 pm
Emma says...

Wow...

The last one I read, he was going to kiss someone...

Now he's somewhere else... With blood... :shock:

Wow... I need to keep up with the time.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:24 am
Akisha says...

Pretty amazing. The way you described It...It was If I was there. I could smell, feel, hear everything(as someone else already said). I liked It, a lot. You really have a lot of potential! I can't believe you're only twelve! :o

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:52 am
Snoink says...

Hehe! :D

She's probably another 40 year old man. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:07 am
Sam says...

This would be an appropriate time for my signature DUN DUN DUN...

:D

- Demetri Martin

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 pm
Kay Kay says...

Yeah i finally get a chance to read it. Sorry it took so long but...anyways. I liked it and agree that it is the best post of Hourglass that you've written. I can't wait to read more to see what is going to happen. Good job!!
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:37 am
Meshugenah says...

oh.. tension. I could stand a bit more, honestly.

(and I thought i had read everything I wanted to from when I was gone, but you snuck hourglass in there! yay!).

What Snoink said about the gun. yes. I was taken back when I read this, and was like "is this still the same hourglass?"

Second to last line.. nice.

if only i could remember where you were last with this (yes, my memory is that bad, unless I missed more than I thought).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:17 am
Firestarter says...

Because you described the click of the gun! See? That implies modern rifles, not muskets. Or blunderbusses.

I think what Sam was intending to describe was the sound of the flintlock weapon's hammer being drawn back to full-cock, which, in those times, was perfectly normal, seeing as the gun might've gone off if it wasn't being pointed at someone at the time (e.g. if you were holding it, it would be on half-cock to prevent it discharging).

To prevent it sounding so contemporary, it might be better to describe it by not saying "as the gun is cocked", say "as the gun is fully cocked" or "the hammer is drawn forward" or something similar.

Otherwise, good work.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:23 pm
Sam says...

Woah, you must be psychic...I was about to go on MSN and bother you into reading it. :P Anyway, thanks!

I shall...my musket knowledge isn't that great...'the gun is fully cocked' would work perfectly. Thanks dudes/dudettes!

- Demetri Martin

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil