z

Young Writers Society

Hourglass! Whee!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:36 am
Meshugenah says...

hmm.. you're right. this almost has the right feeling, but not quite.. typos are dully ignored ;)

At the end.. two "tryings" in a row just irks me (pet peeve, I know).

Ok, you have I feel like I’m drunk; my mind reeling and never settling on a single thought, head aching like hell and feeling the need to vomit constantly.
ark! feel drunk? I don't remember the last time I was drunk, so eleborate a bit more, please. reeling is fine and dandy, but I would like something more specific here. Colours seen passing before his eyes even though its pitch black.. something along those lines.. aching head? yeah, we all have headaches, but what kind is it? (yes, I'm being a nit-pick right now)

This can’t be real…can’t be real...still vaguely living on the reassuring cadence of ‘this is all a dream’ slowly rolling through my skull.
ok, with this, I think you can have some fun.. well, fun writing. the "this is still a dream" part, you can keep repeating that through out the segment, without stating it as you have here, and then you have the effect, not the blatent statement. I happen to like the repeating.. but again, that's me. you do repeat it in the next line, but after that, you don't.

if one can't think straight, how on earth is he being this coherent? This is more to do with the POV you're using than anything, I think.

describe the smell of "me" if he can't think straight, maybe just throw in some random smells? no.. maybe not, but something more along those lines.

erm.. not sure about the food references. If you were that hungry, you would be telling yourself not to think about food, with leads to thining about it.. or delibertly distractong yourself from the very idea, which might work for a little while, but how long? maybe expand a bit.. same goes for water.

hehe, last line. quite true, I'll admit, just.. a little over-used in my book. maybe giving him something concrete? a stray thought that does give away why he wants to live? (assuming he does have one, aren't I? well, does he?)

and yet again, you amaze me in some way. jeesh, girl. good luck getting back into the feel of this.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:40 am
Sam says...

Thanks!

Whee...I need some inspiration from me to fulfill the incoherency...:P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:05 am
Snoink says...

The grammar of this sentence is driving me crazy:

I feel like I’m drunk; my mind reeling and never settling on a single thought, head aching like hell and feeling the need to vomit constantly.

I think it might be better as:

I feel like I’m drunk; my mind is reeling and never settling on a single thought, my head is aching like hell and feeling the need to vomit constantly.

You see? It's an effect called parallelism, and a good effect it is! Read about it here: http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/parallelism.html

And this sentence:
"Trying to ignore the terrifying, relentless pang of ‘if you aren’t brought water, you’ll die’."

And the end...

For some reason, I think you can have a lot of fun with the ending, if you want to. Now, I am known for loving to have horrible cliffhangers, but for some reason I think this might be better.

"Oh God, I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die.

"What do I have to live for?"

Anyway, have fun.

You'll notice the lack of critique. Mostly because it is, as you pointed out, coming from the subconscious, and it's better left not too touched. But your style reminds me of another EXCELLENT young writer and I'm sure you'll improve more. :D

All quotes go outside the punctuation. It should be: "Trying to ignore the terrifying, relentless pang of ‘if you aren’t brought water, you’ll die.' "
Last edited by Snoink on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:08 am
Sam says...

Whee!!!

Another thank you to Snoink.:D Gah, I'm horrible with quote grammar...everything else I can do...:P

- Demetri Martin

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:19 am
hekategirl says...

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I don't think this here typo has been corrected though:

"Counting from one to one hundred and back again, counting the seconds till someone tells to tell me I am safe."

I think you ment:

Counting from one to one hundred and back again, counting the seconds till someone comes to tell me I am safe.

And that sentence is repetitive anyway, you already said you we're couting from one to one hundred and back again so "Couting the seconds till someone comes to tell me I am safe" is a little irrelavent. But since I'm not sure WHAT you ment here it might say something different, that might fix the problem.

But this is good, just needs work...
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:38 am
Sam says...

WHEE!! Where'dja go? Don't mess with me gi-friend!

Yeah...like I said...I typed in all black...couldn't see...:P I shall fix it!

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:20 am
Snoink says...

Oh, this was good for your age. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:05 pm
Sam says...

*pokes* Evil.

- Demetri Martin

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust