z

Young Writers Society

General Law of Opinions

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:48 am
Sponson Light says...

Ive made up a small philosophy on opinions. Laugh all you want.

Opinions, what is opinion? Opinion is what someone thinks about something, and it will always be changing with each person as you cannot prove what you think is true.

For example, you like the color blue, someone may hate the color blue, you will never convince them to like the color blue.
As brings me to another point, people act like their own opinions are being monopolized and jeoperdized when they disagree with what you think.

For example: I hate anime, no seriously, I really HATE MANGA/ANIME, IT SUCKS AND IT SHOULD DIE AND BURN, Ill say it everytime a place is over populated with manga and Ill say it with each post.
People have responded "You sounding childish/not elitstist" or "stop saying it". Guess what? I could say shut up to you too when you say something GOOD about manga. Same trigger, same response.

Trigger: You state your opinion on object
Response: I tell you to shut up.

When someone says "well its your opinion", guess what? Who the hell's opinion would it be? Sherlock Holmes opinion?
Infact, as said above "people act like their own opinions are being monopolized and jeoperdized when they disagree with what you think.".
Seriously now.

Youll say "well good opinions are more welcomed than bad opinions", well guess what? Bad opinions may cripple someone, but good opinions will only bloat someone's ego balloon to the size of the moon, so a bad opinion will only completely shatter whats left of their reality. Good that does yeh.

Listing reasons, god thats so pathetic, "heres a few good reasons why you should eat the food you hate, a few good reasons why the movies you hate are actually good, so you should like them, and a few reasons why you should kiss my ass because my opinion dominates yours.".

Whats worse is when people force their opinions on yours. Not to be confused with stating your opinion.
For example: I hate manga. [I stated my opinion, now Im not forcing you to believe that manga is bad] (Now here is a response I got)
Why do you hate manga? Tell us Sponson. [See that stupidity? "why do you hate manga", what the hell? If I told you would that make you hate manga too? If I told you would that make you feel more secure? I dont know why the hell you said it, as it wont change ANYTHING AT ALL]

Saying "your drawings suck" (with no valid reason either), they could easily respond "why would they suck", a few possible reactions may occur.
Reaction A. The Happy Helper
He will state what mistakes you made, and proceed to tell you how to fix them. He will then point out areas where it looks nice. Generally giving you help and making you feel better without the extreme push-over effect. (not me)
Reaction B. The Stupid Noob
He will state that your work still sucks and nothing you can do will help.
Reaction C. The Mute
He doesnt respond ever again as he is stuck within his own pre-caveman logic.
Reaction D. The Person
He will just point out mistakes, SOME how to fix, a link or something, then leave.
He will not leave whats good, whats really bad, just mistakes he think you should catch and fix.

What about abortion? You cant side with abortionists because the anti-abortionists will kill you, and you cant join the anti-abortionists because then the abortionists will kill you. Things like these are over-pushy opinion eaters. Who think their opinions are facts, and should therefore be law.

Its up to you (the individual) to find out what should really be read and what should be ignored. Because your opinions suck.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:02 pm
Rei says...

I'm not sure what you were trying to do with this. To be perfectly honest, it just sounds like a bunch of immature whining, written in anger, about not finding enough people who share your opinions.

About the "Why do you hate this" question. That is a very immature attitude. People ask that because it's easier to accept why someone has that opinion if they understand why they do. If you don't like manga, I'd like to know why. I enjoy it, and may have problems understanding why someone would dislike it. When someone asks why one doesn't like something, does it really matter if any opinions or feelings change? Not really. All it does is help create understanding between two people.

Sponson, grow up.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:40 pm
Sponson Light says...

I wrote it because people were going off topic in other places because of it.
I would say something, then in a completely irrevelent post, they would start playing 20 questions.

If I asked you why do you hate... say sushi, and you responded with "its raw or too fishy" or something like that, I dont think my understanding has changed one bit, but its just me.
Im not sure with you though.

Why do you like manga?
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

685 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:52 pm
Rei says...

I don't like all manga. I like certain manga. That's because I just love stories. If it's got a good story, I don't care what format it's in, as long as it serves to tell the story well.

Random avatar

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:01 pm
Sponson Light says...

Then there we go. Just remember, you can describe something with more than one description.
I may hate the drawing style manga but it doesnt mean I hate everything else.

685 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:06 pm
Rei says...

But you didn't say, "I hate the style of manga art." You just said, "I hate manga." Opinions need to be expressed properly. I also like them because they are quick, relaxing reads.

Random avatar

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm
Sponson Light says...

I could hate more than one thing.
Anyways, yeah, we all hate things, wouldnt you find it annoying if someone questions your thoughts?
I certainly do, thats why I wrote this.
Its like they really do think their opinions are going to be dominated.
But this is just a rant, everyone has theirs once in a while.

685 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:17 pm
Rei says...

Why should I be annoyed by people wanting to understand my opinion? Just because someone is questioning your opinion, doesn't mean they are saying it is wrong, or are saying anything about their own opinions.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:24 pm
Firestarter says...

If you want to have a debate, go to the debate forums. This isn't the place. I understand you were critiquing the opinions presented in the piece, but this has gone too far.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 pm
Sponson Light says...

People dont say it to understand, they say it to get it out of you.

I dont think theyre trying to understand when they start listing reasons why manga is good.

685 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:28 pm
Rei says...

Sorry, Jack. I just have one more thing to say.

Or they could be sharing their thoughts after listening to yours. You can't judge people's motives for asking that question so harshly. I say again, grow up.

Random avatar

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:31 pm
Sponson Light says...

Well, we're all growing up.

Why would they be listing the good stuff in a thread where it has nothing to do with it?
I was in a "what do you hate" thread in another forum, hey guess what?
You guessed it. Then you can also guess what they asked, then what I said, then what they listed.

www.rmxp.net

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain