Young Writers Society

Jack - Writing Challenge 9/5

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:17 am
Snoink says...

I want no part of it.

I sigh, my body sliding down with a dull thump and I blink slowly at six words. Only six words. Words that disturb, words that worry. It isn’t fair, I think. And it isn’t. Nothing is fair about it and I can’t do anything about it.

“Why not?” I say to nothing in particular. But I know.

I am shaking.

I stand up quickly, as if I am strong only if I stand, and I play with a toy in front of my hand. It is a car. It has black paint on it with sparkling gold highlights. It is small and it will not hurt. It is a toy. I put it down and turn away.

As I look away, I spot a small toy animal. I pick it up. It is a dog, and it is soft and fluffy. It looks cuddly, and I touch it soothingly, tickling its furry body, noticing its long silky gray hair. It is starting to fall apart, but I can’t throw it away. Not now. I put it down, wistfully watching both toys. An odd choking sound starts from my throat.

I am crying.

I try to stop, but I can’t, and I shift uncomfortably.

Today I saw a dog run down a road. It was running wildly down, a crazy look in its motions, its mouth hanging down. I saw it running and I was shouting to it, trying to distract it. A small boy was following it, calling his dog back with, “Jack! Jack!” But Jack was ignoring him.

A truck hit him.

Jack was thrown two yards away and I saw blood. I stood, watching, finally looking at Jack’s boy, a normally shy boy known as Carl. Now Carl was panicky. “My dog! My dog!”

“Don’t worry,” I said, giving Carl a quick hug. “Don’t cry!”

But Carl couldn’t stop.

Traffic was slowing. I snuck out cautiously and brought back Jack. His limp body was oddly warm, but his body was bloody.

“Is Jack --?” But Carl didn’t finish. His lip was quaking.

“I’m afraid so,” I said shakily. Jack’s fur was so soft and silky. Blood was coming from his mouth.

And I could do nothing.

I look at it again.

Carl,

I'm sorry about Jack.

Katrina

Six words. Only six words. I am worn out.

I sigh, and put it in a mail slot.
Last edited by Snoink on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:32 pm
Rei says...

Man, that was intense. It really drew me in to the point where I hardly noticed you were purposly not using the letter E. Every word was perfectly placed. The switch from present to past tense was a little sudden, and it threw me off for a second, but that's negligible. I certainly take back what I said in our PMs.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:33 pm
Rincewind says...

I love that. It was poetic in itself.
There were a few places that rhymed. Big fan of that one.Nice work.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:09 pm
Shriek says...

Wow. I can't even write a sentence without using the letter 'e', but you wrote this entire story, going above and beyond by packing it with emotion and wonderful imagery. Excellent job! I'm really impressed. ^_^
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:08 am
Snoink says...

Wow... so the lack of the letter "e" wasn't noticable. I'm glad.

And Shriek, this story was one of the most difficult stories I've ever written just because of that missing letter.I'm not that good yet. I couldn't use "the" and that really was a difficult obstacle. And when I finally switched to past tense, you'll notice that I avoid the preterite form like the devil.

Reichieru wrote:Man, that was intense. It really drew me in to the point where I hardly noticed you were purposly not using the letter E. Every word was perfectly placed. The switch from present to past tense was a little sudden, and it threw me off for a second, but that's negligible. I certainly take back what I said in our PMs.

Lol, you seem to like my sleep induced stories, Rei. Which is really funny, because usually, when I post sleep-induced stories, I'm so frustrated with it that I want/need help. XD

In this case, it was based after a true story, except when I started writing for the true story, I realized that would be impossible because I couldn't use the word he, cell phone, or white. So I ended up changing the whole story. Which, I suppose, is one reason why I disappointed in it last night. *shrugs*

Thanks for the comment. I'll ease the transition a bit. It shouldn't be too hard to do...

This is what it is now:

I try to stop, but I can’t, and I shift uncomfortably.

Today I saw a dog run down a road. It was running wildly down, a crazy look in its motions, its mouth hanging down. I saw it running and I was shouting to it, trying to distract it. A small boy was following it, calling his dog back with, “Jack! Jack!” But Jack was ignoring him.

Better?

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:39 pm
Harley says...

This is so good you almost want there to be an E in there so you feel ebtter about yourself :wink: really fantabulous, snoink. =D>

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:06 pm
Snoink says...

And... this won! YAY!

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:13 am
Rei says...

Congradulations, Snoink. You deserve it!
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 pm
Whatsarahsaid says...

Totally understanderble why that won..
Well Done yet again Snoink

AliceXx
Alice&hearts;
"stay up all night with the stars."

127 Reviews

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:21 pm
Rincewind says...

considering the only other entry was mine, and no one reads any of my crap, its not that surprising.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:37 pm
Snoink says...

Don't feel bad. There might have only been two entries, but that means that 500+ didn't even try. At least you did. Kudos for that. :)

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:14 am
Beethoven says...

I totally didn't notice there weren't any 'e's. That was brilliant, Snoink.

It made me really sad because I have history in that area : (
Your existence is overbearing.

127 Reviews

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:19 pm
Rincewind says...

Thanks. I agree, Snoink

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:55 pm
Ieatworms says...

Wow. I forgot about the "e" thing. I just wanted to know what the words were. Good job building momentum and making me care. Congrats.

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon