z

Young Writers Society

"Writing Challenge 9/19" Dogs and Cats

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:55 pm
Elizabeth says...

(Just to forewarn you I haven't written in over a month, so like, yeah, this is my comeback. My very horrid comeback.)

"Writing Challenge 9/19" Dogs and Cats

"It's raining cats and dogs again," I muttered to my friend, Larry. He snickered and said, "Well, that's mighty hard rain."

"I'm serious."

"Naw, you can't be serious, ain't no such thing as real rainin' of cats 'n' dogs," my friend said still sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Well look!" Larry moaned and pouted but finally got up and edged his way over to the sill. A pit bull flew by and hit the window, fell down to the bushes and walked away. Larry's jaw dropped to his knees as he stared in wonder at the amazing sight. His finger trembled as he pointed to the assortment of house pets crashing to earth. "It's not polite to point."

"This ain't .... unusual to ya? Are ya nuts? This is friggin' amazin'!" Larry tugged me off the couch and ran to the front door.

"If you catch a dog or cat on your tongue it's luck," I huffed as he paused to open the door.

"Imma gonna catch me a husky! Watch Liz!" Larry ran outside with nothing than the green tee and the ripped blue jeans on his body. His childishly stupid grin made me wonder, Will I ever have this much fun? I shrugged the feeling off when a 100 pound black lab fell from the sky and landed on Larry's back. Larry pushed off the dog and twirled around and around.

"This is awesome! This is freakin' awesome Liz! This is so totally cool!" Around and around he went until he fell and rolled around.

I grabbed my metal umbrella and walked outside and stood next to him. Miniature poodles and tabbies bounced off of it but it didn't bother me at all. If it was any help to mention, Larry was overreacting over a little rain.

Suddenly from the sky shot a Siamese cat, straight down with perfect form.

"Imma gonna catch you!" Larry opened his mouth as wide as I ever seen it and WHOMP the cat landed with a leg in his mouth and claws out. He pulled it out and glared at me.

"You said that catching a cat or dog on your tongue was luck!"

"I never said it was good luck, did I?" I burst into laugher, nearly dropping my umbrella.

Larry's angered screams were muffled by the sudden thunderclap. My eyes widened and I dropped my umbrella and pulled Larry inside the house.

"What did you do that for? God! If this is so common then don't ruin my fun because of it being so... common!" Larry whined and tried to pull away from me.

"You don't understand! Sure, the raining cats and dogs is common, but the elephant's thunder isn't!" I led him back to the living room where I pointed out the window.

Large, gray masses struck my front lawn, leaving holes at least seven feet in diameter. The elephants blew loud trumpeting sounds that caused the earth to shake. Suddenly the skies cleared up. The giant black clouds fluttered away with the breezes, as well as the cats, dogs, and elephants. The sun began to shine again.

I continued to stare at my lawn, as well as the rest of the neighborhood.

"There is no way I'm cleaning up that mess."

Larry's eyes were scanning around the neighborhood as well and then he turned to me, and with a very calm voice asked,

"So, when does it snow around here?"
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:00 am
Sam says...

Had fun, didja? :P

'Tis pretty cool...for an odd plot...

Technical detail: My dog weighs about two hundred pounds, and he's about 3 times as big as a (fat:P) black lab. Labs weigh in in the 80-100 range, usually.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:02 am
bubblewrapped says...

LMAO OMG I love it! How can anyone top that? Particularly the line "Larry was overreacting over a little rain." I'm in stitches. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:45 pm
Elizabeth says...

Seriously? Was it that funny?

For those of you people who read it but didn't understand (as if anybody would ever read this again...)

The person tellin' the story lives here and it's not unusual.
Her friend is from out of this world, so raining cats and dogs is like.... how would Larry put it.... Friggin' Amazin' !!!

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:45 pm
Bobo says...

That was pretty funny, Liz! There were some technical errors, but the story was great! I'd laugh if I had any emotions.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:18 am
concertchick16 says...

:arrow: i love the very last sentance
"so when does it snow around here"

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:08 am
deleted6 says...

Hey that great it was brilant an funny i like the end line to
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:29 am
Emma says...

Hehe, very nice work! xD

Random avatar

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:31 pm
Elizabeth says...

I can't believe you all liked it...
This is like... the most liked story I've ever written.
Oh my God... It's a tree with leaves! The tree is green!

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:13 pm
Nox says...

I loved it. =D> :D
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin