z

Young Writers Society

"Writing Challenge 9/19": Did it Really Happen?

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:40 am
Boni_Bee says...

Yeah, I know this is weird, but I thought I'd give it a go

Writing challenge 9/19

It was a usual day at school. I was doing my maths quietly, when I suddenly found myself putting up my hand and announcing,
“Excuse me, Mr Brown, it’s going to rain cats and dogs today.” I gasped, what had I said? That wasn’t me talking.
“Nonsense, stop day dreaming and get back to your work” my teacher commanded, his bushy eyebrows arching high above his glasses. I sighed, and nodded my head, going back to my math problem. Half an hour later
“Sir, if you don’t move, a Siamese cat will land on your head” I said, standing up. I couldn’t believe it, something weird was happening to me, I had no control of myself.
“Young man, you will stand in that corner until I can deal with you” said Mr Brown, shaking with anger
“Yes sir, but a Labrador will eat my English book if I do” I said, getting up and shuffling to my designated corner. Mr Brown glared after me and rolled his eyes. The class snickered, and made faces behind his back.

MIOWWWW....WOOOLF!!!!!!! Everyone jumped. A little boy looked out the window
“Sir, sir, it’s raining cats and dogs!” he squealed shrilly, pointing to the amazing spectacle.
“I told you so” I said, without any emotion. Mr Brown was beside himself
“SIT DOWN AND BE QUIET OR I’LL......I’ll.....” he yelled, then looked outside for himself, and could hardly believe his eyes. The whole school yard was full of cats and dogs, which were floating down gracefully, in parachutes or on air beds. They were contentedly talking and grooming each other. The really odd thing was that they were twice the size of a normal animal. Mr Browns knees shook, and he hid under his desk
”I’m allergic to cats, don’t let them in!” he said, his voice quavering. What he didn’t know was that a Siamese cat had landed on his desk, and was purring softly. It played with his ruler, and blinked at the class. A brown Labrador ambled in from nowhere, and ate my English book slowly. I stared at it, with my mouth open like a fish.

The class was staring out the windows, their eyes as big as saucers
“May I come out from the corner now?” I asked, staring at the wall. A piece of plaster was hanging by a thread, and I blew at it. It detached, and floated down, landing on the toe of my shoe. I kicked it off, and unfortunatly hit the fire alarm, located on a small stool beside me. The alarm went off, causing more confusion. The teacher jumped, and hit his head on the table, making the cat hiss and spit at him. He curled into a ball and shook with fright.
The moment the cats outside heard the bell, they became very quiet. They looked at each other, then began whispering amongst themselves. More and more dogs and cats were arriving, and the dogs began to surround the cats, slowly, slowly, they moved in, until they’d herded the felines into a bunch. Then, they attacked. The school yard was a mass of flying fur and screeeeches and howls loud enough to deafen a worm. The entire class hid under their desks and covered their ears to block out the horrifying sound. In a couple of minutes – although it sounded like hours – the cats and dogs disappeared, and all that could be seen were pieces of fur floating down. They changed into snow flakes, and soon the ground was covered, and nothing of the event could be seen.

Only the cat on Mr Brown’s desk remained, and as the class crept out from their hiding places, she meowed loudly, and jumped down, rubbing herself against the legs of the children. They gave her some milk, and then sat around discussing the event. I rubbed my eyes and looked again, but all the cats and dogs were gone.
Wow that was weird...I wonder....
No one believed them, of course, but Mr Brown was never the same again. He was dismissed and replaced by...the cat and the dog who had stayed behind.
Last edited by Boni_Bee on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:23 am
Bobo says...

That was pretty funny! The last line was a bit confusing- who are the Cat and the Dog? You never refer to anyone in the book as "the Cat" or "the Dog" with capital letters. Also, what does in mean when you say "ally hit the fire alarm"? What do you mean by "ally"? Is it a name, a slang word that I haven't heard of, or a typo? And be sure to punctuate Mr.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:33 am
Boni_Bee says...

Ok, I changed it :)

I'm glad it was funny....it was meant to be :) lol

You don't have to punctuate Mr any more so there!!! lol

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:07 pm
Sureal says...

I liked this :).

My favourite imagery has got to be the cats and dogs floating down from the sky :P.
I wrote the above just for you.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White