z

Young Writers Society

Silver Lake

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:54 pm
Nightshade says...

This is a story I wrote a few months ago. I recognize it for the bizarre and jumbled mess that it is, but there's something about it that I love also. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Harris laid back on the soft sand. It was still soothingly warm from the noontime sun. His neck hurt and he was starting to get a headache. It was his third day at Silver Lake, and this was the first time he had been able to tear himself away from conference calls for long enough to come down to the shore. The sun was beginning to set, casting golden light across the pristine beach. The water of the lake rippled back and forth, sparking and rolling in joy. Harris’s phone rang and he answered it with a sigh. He scribbled some notes on a pad of paper, muttering agreements, and flipped the phone shut. He closed his eyes and was dozing within seconds.
A sweet voice interrupted his rest. “Oh hello, is it ok if I lay out here?” it asked. Harris opened one eye. A slender woman with light brown hair stood over him. Harris guessed that she was 4 or 5 years younger than him, probably in her early 30s. She smiled down at him, and he nodded and closed his eyes with a sigh. A bird chirped in a nearby tree and Harris smiled to himself. Most of the chirps he had heard lately came from cellphones. He liked birds better.
His thoughts were broken by the voice. “What’s your name?” the woman asked.
Harris sat up with a groan. “Harris,” he replied.
The woman smiled, showing perfect white teeth. Her light blue eyes caught the sun and flashed gold for a moment. “That’s a nice name. I like you,” she said.
Harris tilted his head. “You don’t even know me, how can you like me?” he asked. He glanced down the beach. It was empty. Why had this woman sat so close to him?
The woman smiled. “I have to know you to like you?” she replied. She grabbed a handful of sand and let it trickle through her fingers. “What do you do you do for a living?” She rubbed her hands together, cleaning off the remaining sand. “I’m a writer. Isn’t that interesting?” she asked.
Harris hesitated. She was a pretty girl, and pretty girls liked men with exciting jobs, not accountants. “I’m a doctor,” he said.
The woman stared at him, her green eyes locked on his brown ones. “That sounds interesting,” she said. “But why are you afraid to tell me what you really do?”
Harris’s eyes widened. He was starting to get nervous. He had never met anyone like this before. “I don’t…how did you…I’m sorry…I have to go to the bathroom,” he mumbled, starting to stand.
She laughed. “No you don’t. Sit back down. I love you.”
Harris’s jaw dropped. “What?” he spluttered.
“I love you,” she said calmly.
Harris rolled his eyes. His annoyance with this woman was starting to build. “What are you talking about?” he asked. “You don’t know me and you definitely don’t love me. I’m trying to rest, can you leave me alone?”
The woman smiled. Burying her foot in the sand absentmindedly, she said, “Someone’s having a bad day. I’m thirsty. I think I’ll go get a drink. It’ll take a few minutes. Maybe you won’t be so grumpy when I get back.” She stood up and walked away. Harris watched her until she went out of sight. He didn’t like this. People weren’t supposed to act this way. He thought about leaving and going back to his room before the woman could return to pester him more. He looked over his shoulder. She was still gone. Harris hesitated. The thought occurred to him that maybe he was waiting for her to return, not watching for an opportunity to escape. He pushed it out of mind. She was weird and she was disturbing his relaxation. He did want to know more about her though, she had a strange allure that he couldn’t shake. A seagull flew over his head, squawking as it looked for food.
“They’re beautiful aren’t they?” The woman stood behind him, sipping a Coke.
“Seagulls? I don’t know…they’re seagulls,” Harris said, startled by how quietly she had come up behind him.
“They’re beautiful. What do you think is beautiful?” she asked.
Harris’s stomach squirmed. Her questions made him uncomfortable. “I don’t know,” he muttered. “The lake is pretty I guess.” He looked at the water. The sun had gone down more, making the lake a fiery red as it reflected the sunset.
The woman looked at the lake too. When she turned back to Harris her eyes were twinkling. “Yes it is,” she said softly.
Harris smiled at her. He realized that he couldn’t remember the last time he had really smiled. What did that mean? He shoved the thought out of mind. His eyes turned to the woman. She was staring at him. “So who are you?” he asked. “Where are you from?”
Her face darkened for a moment. It was the first time he had seen anything besides a smile on her face. “I’m from the same place you are. You should know that,” she said.
“Seattle?” Harris asked.
Her eyes narrowed. “No,” she replied.
“Then where are you from?” Harris didn’t understand her annoyance with him. It was a reasonable question, wasn’t it?
The woman grabbed a handful of sand and threw it into the lake. The tiny grains slowly made their way to the bottom. When she turned back to him her face showed no signs of the irritation that had been present moments before. “I like you,” she said. “Would you like to hear a story?”
Harris stared at her.
“Good,” she said. “It goes like this: There once was a little blue bird named Kelly. The tree that Kelly lived in stood over a big anthill, and every day the little ants would come out and play in the grass near the hill. Kelly thought this looked like great fun and she wanted to play in the grass with the ants too. So she flew down to where they were running around to ask them if she could play too. But all the ants ran back into their anthill when she got near them. This made Kelly very sad, but she was determined to play with the ants and make them her friends. So every day Kelly would fly down to where the ants were playing, and every day they would run back to their hill. Eventually, Kelly decided that it wasn’t worth the work of flying down everyday, so she would just sit in her tree, sad because she was so lonely. One day, Kelly was sitting in her tree, and she heard an ant calling from down below. The ant told her that they wanted to play and that they wouldn’t run away if she came down. This made Kelly ever so excited, so she flew down to the ground where all the little ants were playing. Then all the ants ran onto Kelly and ate her. The end.” The woman grinned. “That was a good story wasn’t it? I think it’s so interesting,” she said.
Harris stared at her. “Umm, yeah. It was really good,” he said. Something in the story had sounded familiar to him and he was trying to figure out where he had heard it before. His phone rang. He silenced it.
“I’m glad you liked it,” the woman said. Her deep brown eyes shone with the joy of her success. She pulled a watch out of her purse and checked it. “Oh dear. I must be going,” she said.
Harris shook his head. He wasn’t sure whether or not he wanted her to leave. “Go where?” he asked.
“I have a plane to catch.”
“Where are you going?”
“Oh, you know.” The woman’s lips spread in a grin. She stood up. “I love you Harris. I’m glad we were able to become so close like this.” She stood up and began walking down the curved path back to the parking lot. She seemed to float just above the ground, as if she was weightless. Harris watched her until she disappeared behind a cluster of trees.
Harris sat alone on the beach, trying to make sense of everything that had just occurred. His annoyance with the woman had long ago faded. In fact, he kind of liked her. She wasn’t like the women who he worked with at the bank. Her eyes weren’t tired like theirs were. His phone rang again. He threw it in the sand. Harris’s mind was spinning. He had so many more questions he wanted to ask the woman. He decided to take a swim to clear his thoughts.
The water was clear and warm. It was perfect. Harris dove under, feeling the water rush through his hair as he swam beneath the lake’s glossy surface. The sun was almost down now, and the lake was rapidly darkening, with only a few pink streaks remaining to light the sky. Harris broke to the surface and took a deep, blissful breath. He had been right, he did feel better. He dove back under.
Something white on the bottom of the lake caught his eye. He dove deeper until it came into view. His eyes widened and he burst to the surface, gasping for air. “Help!” he screamed, but the beach was empty. It had been for hours. He dove again, swimming deep beneath the water. The woman from the beach lay on the bottom of the lake. Her eyes were closed and her body was still. Harris reached out and grabbed her hand, ready to pull her up to the air, but he couldn’t move her. Harris kicked and struggled, trying to bring her to the surface where he could swim her to shore, but she wouldn’t budge. His lungs screamed at him for air, and he tried to release her hand. It held his tight. Harris desperately tried to pry her fingers from around his, but he couldn’t break her grip. He needed air, his lungs were crying and pleading with him for oxygen. His body broke. He took a breath, and the lake filled him. His eyes glazed over, he didn’t want to struggle anymore. Everything was ok now. He squeezed the woman’s hand as tightly as she squeezed his, and laid back in the soft sand, the still woman beside him. On the beach the phone rang, but no one was there to answer it. Harris closed his eyes. It was time to relax.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 pm
leebass says...

Wow, i really liked this. I love this line:

'Most of the chirps he had heard lately came from cellphones. He liked birds better.'

I was supposed to be doing something else, but the story kind of drew me in and i wanted to finish it. My only criticism is that i found the woman a bit annoying, but i suppose that's just her character.
Oh and i thought her story was a bit unnecessary. It pushed me out of the main story and i found it distracting. Maybe they could talk more instead of that? Perhaps Harris could reveal more of his character through their conversation. And he could keep on trying to find out more about her but she keeps on avoiding his questions.
Pretty vague, i know, but i hope that helps.
Keep writing i enjoyed it :D

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 am
Celdover says...

Hey there!

I am going to agree with everything leebass said before. The lines about the cellphones and the birds was my favorite part, and I also agree that the lady character was very annoying. I'm not exactly sure what you were going for with her, but she comes off like a stock character. The sort of character that mystifies the lead male and haunts his mind for the remainder of his life. This is what makes her so annoying, because we have seen this sort of character so many times before. If you ever go back an redo this I think it'd be good to put a little more originality into her character and see where it takes you.

I also didn't see the point in the woman's story. It was a "what the heck" factor that tried to include some symbolism but failed. It doesn't relate to the story or its events at all, making it feel out of place. If you really want to keep the tale then I suggest that you find something to connect it with what's happening between the two characters.

I felt the same way for the lady at the bottom of the lake. It was like it was trying to include symbolism but only succeeded in confusing the reader.

And because you know that this piece is a jumbled mess of random ideas and doesn't make much sense, I have to ask. What were you aiming for when you wrote this? Were you trying to get some emotions out? Did you want it to come out like this in the first place? Why do you like it when you know it doesn't make much sense? Something tells me that it's difficult to appreciate this story without knowing what you were aiming for.

Overall I'm not sure what to make of this. Some of the concepts are bit too strange and messy for me, and in some places it's predictable and mundane, but it's not something that sends me running for the hills. I don't get anything more than a neutral feeling about it.

I suppose I see this as a bizarre but plain story. A story that has a lot of weird concepts but doesn't really integrate them to make them something interesting.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments.

--Dover
Lumi: I hate it when plans require faith in competence.
Jagged: You should know better by now.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 am
Nightshade says...

Thank you for the reviews. Now that I've looked back at it, I completely agree with the comments on the woman's story. It was an attempt to make her seem even more weird (or obnoxious), but it in the context of the story it's completely pointless and should be removed.

Celdover, your comment on the woman seeming like a stock character caught me off guard, as my intention was to make her as unlike any actual person as possible. Could you explain what made her seem generic? And what parts of the story were mundane and predictable? Those are my biggest concerns for what sections I need to work on.

My aim with this story was for it to be a story about escaping society and its expectations. I designed the woman as an idea in Harris's head, and tried to give clues to the fact that she's not quite real (changing eye color, floating). She's supposed to be the personification of oddity who lures Harris to escape from the world that he lives in.
For me, the strangeness of this story is its biggest strength, but I also recognize that it's also one of its biggest weaknesses. My main question would be whether I can retain that "what just happened?" feel while giving the reader something which can be meaningful to them, and if so, how?

Like I said, I love this story and can't seem to let go of it, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix its very obvious flaws.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:08 am
TinyDancer says...

Wait!!!! Don't get rid of the bird story. I thought Harris was supposed to be Kelly and the little ants that ate Kelly were supposed to be like that woman who was on the bottom of the lake. You know, birdie wanted to play and the ants killed it just like Harris was curious about the woman, but ultimately she killed him. Maybe I'm imagining things...it's been a long day!

Ok, now that is out of the way. I like where this thing is going. I think it's still a bit rough around the edges, but you could seriously make it awesome with some clarification and improvement. Only a few small grammar mistakes that I could see. I thought the woman was lovely and imaginative. (Ok, now that I've disagreed with everything everybody else has said...*please don't kill me!*) Maybe to improve it, you could do things like reveal Harris' mindset and thought processes a bit more before and after meeting the woman. Elaborate on the way the woman said certain things, have more dialogue between the two characters. Explain things like: why did Harris have to die and how did the woman get to the bottom of the lake? Didn't she have a plane to catch? Or was that just a metaphor (or an excuse?) As a reader, I was left kinda like this...."???" but in a good way. I want to see more!!! But first, I want to see this improve because I know you can make it really awesome ;)

~Jess
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 pm
WinterBloom says...

Oh my gosh this story is beautiful! It made me want more haha. But anyway I think you should have them talk a little bit more before you have her tell him that she loves him and the paragraphs should be a bit shorter but that's just me :)
I really liked this story though it pulled me in and made me wonder "what next??" :) I liked the way you put this (if that makes since) and I would love to read more of your work

Kelp writing
Love Ella

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee