z

Young Writers Society

My Father was Buried

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 am
mikepyro says...

My father was buried today. It was a quiet affair. The build up to the ceremony wasn’t particularly suspenseful as we’d been expecting it some time.

Not many people came. Not that many were invited. Perhaps they were unsure of the date, my father sent out so many different invitations. I didn’t think I'd get particularly choked up; it was kind of what I’d imagined. I’m not sure what Mom expected.

When they lowered the box into the dirt there were a few sniffles. Don’t get me wrong, though we’d been through so many discussions and so many therapies and so many doctors’ visits, that’s not to say Mom didn’t cry. That’s not to say I did.

He came back six hours later.

“I like this one.”
“Really? It’s a little cramped, don’t you think?”
"Cramped is good, I won’t roll around too much.”

My father lay inside the open coffin. His hands rested across his chest, fingers joined together. His eyes fluttered a moment and he unclasped his hands to scratch the tip of his nose. He lifted his upper half from the box without struggle. His eyes remained shut. In that moment I pictured him draped in black, skin bleached white, baring fangs and hissing at the ambient lighting that filled the room. Then he turned around to reposition the fluffy contour-adjusted mini-pillow that clung to his neck and the image was ruined.

"It’s not like you’ll be lying in the back of a flatbed when we’re moving you.”

He rolled out of the box with a groan and readjusted his suit. The wig he wore to cover the now vacant dome of his skull had shifted to the side. He straightened it with as much discression as a cheap wig allowed.

“I want this one, “ he said. He clicked the bell that sat beside the coffin selection.

A few minutes later, the portly gentleman who owned the funeral home poked his head out from beyond the nearby corridor. He wore a suit several times too small that cut his wrists, exposing a cornucopia of fat rolls. I wondered how much of our conversation he'd listened in on.

“Sir?” the gentleman said.
“I’ll take it.”
“Sir,” the gentleman said.

I leaned over the box and inspected the inside. A few scraps of wood lay at the foot of the coffin, chipped away from what I had to assume was extended use, though I was unsure how that could be. Someone had marked their name into the side of the wooden viewing panel.

“Dad, are you sure about this one?”

My father reached into his suit pocket and withdrew a black permanent sharpie. He popped the cap and bent down, scratching out the name and replacing it with his own.

“It’s mine."

There’s a silence when I get home.

I don’t know what to do. Mom is with her sister and brother-in-law and their fat child who smells like expired milk even though he’s lactose intolerant. I don’t enjoy their company; I prefer the silence of my apartment. I think there’s a word for that.

Right now I’m staring at the chair I’d promised my father over a month ago to repaint. There’s the ugly brown wallpaper that we put up before we got the news. My father always loved the design. I feel I should leave it up for his memory, but it's a really ugly color.

I take out the scraper.

The wallpaper’s almost off when my father appears. Honestly, it’s a bit of a shock, especially considering he bursts through the wallpaper on entrance.

“You know how much I liked that design.”

My screaming lasts for quite some time. I feel sorry for the neighbors. I can hear a broom beating against the ceiling of the floor below. I didn’t think people did that anymore. He attempts to calm me by placing his hands on my shoulders but the chilling feeling, coupled with the fact that they pass through me, doesn’t help.

“You’re like a ghost, right?” I ask.
My father shrugs. His hair spills across his eyes. Real hair, not one of his cheap wigs. Something to be grateful for.

“I suppose.”

“Alright then.”

I stop my work on the wallpaper and grab a pail of paint from the closet. I start on the chair as the two of us converse, I know how much he’d always hated that seat's color.

Dried leaves crushed between the hard ground and the rubber soles of my father’s dress shoes. He stomped the earth several times. His brow arched with the frown that formed.

He clapped his hands together and let out a shrill laugh. "Yeah…yeah, this is nice. Nice and strong. Be hard for any guys thinking of robbing my corpse.”

“What?” I asked.

"Corpse robbers, been a rash of them around the area lately, read about it in the paper.”

“You realize how hard it’ll be for us to dig the hole, right- how much time it’ll take?”

“Do you have stuff planned for later that day?”

“Thinking of consoling Mom.”

“Good.”

A bird let out a song that carried through the clearing. Sunlight shone down upon the stone that lay before the outline of the future gravesite.

My father turned to me and spoke. “You know you don’t need to dig the hole yourself, right? I’m sure we could just pay the guys who work here to do it.”

“I know.”

“I noticed you didn’t cry today.”

It’s night now. My father’s back. He hovers a few feet over me. I can’t see through him, as one might expect, but he’s decided to accessorize on his journey back into this world. A thick length of chain cracks along my headboard as he swings the line through the air and moans. The phantom link slinks itself along my skin. It’s quite cold as well.

“Did you want me to?” I ask.

My father replies, jingling his chains and speaking in an exaggerated tone, what I assume is his attempt at humor. “Well. A little compassion would have been niiiiiice…”
“Why are you doing that?”
“It’s a contractual agreeeeement…”

I push the covers aside and slide my legs over the side of the bed. I unfold my reading glasses and return them to my face. The missing nose bridge scratches my skin.

“You need to get those fiiiiiiiixed…”
“Oh come on now.”
“I’m done. Big Man’s a stickler for cheap jokes.”
“Why are you still haunting me?”

The chains fade. His floating hair falls to his shoulders. He levitates his way across the room and plops himself back down on the chair I finished repainting a few hours previously.

"Careful, that may still be wet,” I say without thinking.
“I don’t mind.”
“You know Mom misses you. Why don’t you visit her?”

He takes a while to reply. He doesn’t seem to want to.

“You can handle the stress,” he responds.
“How are you so sure?”
“How am I so sure? You’re my son.”
“And how much longer will this be going on?”

He shakes his head and chuckles. “Not much longer, I’d think. You gotta promise me just one thing.”

I scoot down along the edge of my bed and rest my chin upon the back of my hand. “And that is?”
“Promise me you won’t screw up too bad.”
“I’ll try my best.”
"That’s all I ask.”

I notice I can see through him now, at least a bit better. The rungs of the chair’s back appear. The last strips of the ugly brown wallpaper I’ve yet to take down glare at me through his transparent suit and tie.

For a moment I think it’s just another one of his lame attempts at a joke, but the fading doesn’t stop. I can barely see him now. His disembodied head bobs from side to side.

There’s a tear, I can feel it, running down my cheek. I know I should say something but only the worst words ever come.

“We should have had more of these talks,” I say.
My dad’s head nods. “We should’ve.” And then he’s gone.
Last edited by mikepyro on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 16 times in total.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm
mistielovesyou says...

This story was good, albeit a little disjointed. I was confused with the second "flashback", and I thought he had come back to life. The ending was nice though, and I enjoyed it. Good job and good luck..
mistura is awesome and she loves you

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:18 pm
Cotton says...

this is tremendous. Really, honestly, truly. I loved how you broke it up into those sections, and your style is almost as perfect as you could wish for (more of that later, but honestly: have no worries. Your writing style is ACE). That's about as much as I can say right now, because I am rather overwhelmed by this piece.

However, I wouldn't be a true irritating perfectionist if I didn't hunt ferociously for mistakes! And they are pitifully small...

The build up to the ceremony wasn’t particularly suspenseful for we’d been expecting it some time. But even though we knew what to expect and were prepared, we still didn’t expect it, and were certainly not prepared.

Couple of things: 1) this is my personal taste, but I feel "wasn't particularly suspenseful as we'd been expecting it for some time." sounds better here... what do you think? 2) I see exactly what you were trying to do with the repetition of "expect" and "prepared", but because you also wrote "been expecting it some time" - I dunno. I just felt there was a bit too much "expecting" for me...

Don’t get me wrong, though we’d been through so many discussions and so many therapies and so many doctors’ visits, that’s not to say Mom didn’t cry.

This sentence feels a bit confused to me, as if you were trying to say several things but half-did them, so none are complete. (not in a harsh way, just that your end product here isn't as coherent as the rest, and because every word in the rest of your piece is so perfectly positioned and written, it sticks out!)

I don’t enjoy their company, I prefer the silence of my apartment. I think there’s a word for that.

Me being pedantic perhaps, but I think it might be more punctuation-ally correct to have a semi-colon, not a comma: "I don't enjoy their company; I prefer the silence of my apartment."

Dried leaves crushed between the hard ground and the rubber soles of my father’s dress shoes. He stomped the earth several times. His brow arched with the frown that formed.

He clapped his hands together and let out a shrill laugh. "Yeah…yeah, this is nice. Nice and strong. Be hard for any guys thinking of robbing my corpse.”

You use present and past on purpose in this piece, and I just realised this is in one section, but you use both. Which do you really want to use? Or am I being obtuse? Could be, I'm feeling pretty ill...

A think length of chain cracks along my headboard as he swings the line through the air and moans. The phantom link slinks itself along my skin.

spelling: "thick"

But basically, these were tiny, mini-escule blips that did not detract in any way from the fact that this was tre-men-dous. Fabulous. Awesome. :D :D :D smiley faces all round

~*cottonrulz*~
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 pm
View Likes
mikepyro says...

Many thanks you two, glad you enjoyed it! :D

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 pm
BluesClues says...

WOW! This story was amazing!

Your character development was really well done. I loved the dad, he was so quirky and fun to read. I also loved that this story was able to make me laugh even though it was kind of sad. And it was cool that the ghost-dad and his son have a conversation that a father and son might just normally have (except that sometimes they mentioned the dad's ghost-hood). The ending was so sad, just because the reader knows it's too late to have more of these talks, even though the characters have just had one.

I have no suggestions for improvement. This was really great.

~Blue

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 am
Mickixoxo says...

I liked it a lot. From the title I thought it was going to be extremely depressing, but it really wasn't XD it was quite amusing, actually. I loved the dad. He reminded me a lot of my own dad, and I liked that because he's really quirky and silly.

There is one thing that totally confused me, though.... I don't know if I'm hallucinating this, or if I'm missing something because no one else commented on it, but it's really bugging me.

I feel I should leave it up for his memory.

I take out the scraper.

The wallpaper’s almost off when my father appears. Honestly, it’s a bit of a shock, especially considering he bursts through the wallpaper on entrance.

Ahh okay... so... why's he scraping it off? He's totally contradicting himself.... But that's not the point here. The point is, when his dad comes, he's scraping off the wallpaper. So, I was imagining him on a chair, with a scraper, taking off the wallpaper, and then his dad suddenly pops through the wall. BUT! Then you say this later:

I push the covers aside and slide my legs over the side of the bed. I unfold my reading glasses and return them to my face. The missing nose bridge scratches my skin.

But... now he's in bed? I mean... huh? I know there's a part before it where it says:

"I noticed you didn't cry today."

It's night now.

And if that was a sudden scene change then okay.... but it was so small and unnoticeable >.< (at least for me.... apparently not for anyone else....) and that seems unrealistic to me... I mean, it's a pretty unrealistic story in general, but if my dad pops through the wall casually after being dead for six hours, I'd be pretty freaked out, and I really don't think I'd be able to even act normal, let alone attempt to go to bed. So, I don't know about that.... And he also mentions repainting the apartment. So he finished taking the wallpaper off, repainted the chair, AND put himself to bed, all the while having his dead father watching in the background? If it was me, I'd have gone to the hospital on account of post traumatic stress or something. He just seems wayy too okay with it way to fast.

And then there's this:

The rungs of the chair’s back appear. The last strips of the ugly brown wallpaper I’ve yet to take down glare at me through his transparent suit and tie.

But if he wasn't done, why was he laying in bed? Still not sure what's going on here >.<

But other than the confusion on that scene, it was definitely a great story. I loved the last lines, definitely the "little moment" that was great. At least I was beaten by you ;P

Nice job at first place!
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 pm
BluesClues says...

Ahaha, I love the extra scene. Sad I didn't read it before, but I guess that doesn't really matter, does it? His dad WOULD be worried about grave-robbers... ^_^

~Blue

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 pm
Searria H. says...

Hello. :)
I really enjoyed this. You had a wonderful blend of humour and seriousness that's hard to accomplish (for me anyway). Your dialogue seemed very natural for the characters, and based on what I gathered about their personalities, I believed everything they said. Breaking it up it to several miniature scenes does make the flow overall a tad choppy, but I like it that way. If you melt everything together into one long narration, I think it would lose power.
On to Nitpicks:
The build up to the ceremony wasn’t particularly suspenseful as we’d been expecting it some time.

I loved the short sentences in the beginning. It gave a sense of emotional detachment. However, this sentence seems a little awkward. The word "as" in there sort of bothers me. It's not grammatically incorrect, but I sort of tripped over it when reading. Maybe make it a compound sentence with "....suspenseful, for we'd been..." or you could use "since" instead of "as." I don't know. Just a thought. :)
I didn’t think I'd get particularly choked up,This should be a period or semicolon. it was kind of what I’d imagined.What was? The fact that he wouldn't cry, or the funeral was how he imagined it?

Don’t get me wrong, though we’d been through so many discussions and so many therapies and so many doctors’ visits, that’s not to say Mom didn’t cry.I agree that this sentence is a little stilted. It could all be the polysyndeton's fault. I think I know what you're saying here: Even though they've had counseling for the father's coming death, the mother still cried. That's what I got from it at least.

That’s not to say I did.

I love this line. :D
“I like this one.”
“Really? It’s a little cramped, don’t you think?”
"Cramped is good, I won’t roll around too much.”

This is my favourite scene. It made me smile. Do they really let you try out coffins? :)
His eyes fluttered a moment, and he unclasped his hands to scratch the tip of his nose.

The wig he wore to cover the now vacant dome of his skull had shifted to the side. He straightened it with as much discression as a cheap wig allowed. :lol:

A few minutes later, and the portly gentleman who owned the funeral home poked his head out from beyond the nearby corridor.

exposing a cornucopia of fat rolls. I loved the wording of this. :)

“Sir?” the gentleman said.
“I’ll take it.”
“Sir,” the gentleman said.
I'm not sure how I feel about the repetition of "the gentleman said." I think you could leave out the second one.

A few scraps of wood lay at the foot of the coffin, chipped away from what I had to assume was extended use, though I was unsure how that could be. Someone had carved their name into the side of the wooden viewing panel. How very curious...

My father reached into his suit pocket and withdrew a black permanent sharpie. He popped the cap and bent down, scratching out the name and replacing it with his own. I love how he just happens to have a sharpie with him.

There’s a silence when I get home.

I don’t know what to do. This was mentioned before, but the tense shift threw me off. I would understand if all the current stuff was in present tense, and all of the flashbacks in past. But reading over it again, that doesn't make sense to me chronologically. Unless maybe the first scene was in present tense. I don't know, it kind of makes sense, but...would you consider writing it all in present tense and putting the flashbacks in italics?

I feel I should leave it up for his memory.

I take out the scraper. This really makes me wonder why he decides to take it down if he was thinking about leaving it up in honour of his dad.

Honestly, it’s a bit of a shock, especially considering he bursts through the wallpaper on entrance.

Because you used the word "bursts," I was picturing him coming through the wall and ripping the wall paper. But then his hands go through his sons shoulders...
“You know how much I liked that design.” These being the first words to his son as a ghost, I found it rather humourous. :)

“You’re like a ghost, right?” I ask. One second, your character is screaming, and the next he's just asking if his dad's a ghost, but you have no transition. His father tries to calm him down, but the narration tells us it didn't help.

Alright All right then.” There's a lot of argument about this, but "alright" is not in the dictionary. Now they've decided that "Alright isn't All right."

Dried leaves crushed between the hard ground and the rubber soles of my father’s dress shoes.

Super picky comment: "Dried leaves crushed" implies that the leaves were doing the crushing. While I know what you were saying, you might fiddle around with the wording.
Be hard for any guys thinking of robbing my corpse.”haha

“You realize how hard it’ll be for us to dig the hole, right - how much time it’ll take?Personally, I would use a dash here.

“Do you have stuff planned for later that day?”

“Thinking of consoling Mom.”

“Good.”

A bird let out a song that carried through the clearing. Sunlight shone down upon the stone that lay before the outline of the future gravesite.

My father turned to me and spoke. “You know you don’t need to dig the hole yourself, right? I’m sure we could just pay the guys who work here to do it.”

“I know.”Until about the third time I read this, I didn't realize that this scene took place before the funeral, and I was getting really confused about why they would be digging up his corpse. I've been called dim before, but maybe you could mention him adjusting his wig or something. :) Again, it could just be me...

what I’d assumed was his attempt at humor. This breaks the tense of the rest of this section. "What I assume is his attempt..."

The missing nose bridge scratches my skin.How can the glasses even stay on his face if he they don't have a bridge?

“You need to get those fixxeeeeed…” This was the only onomatopoeia-type-word that bother me. I would add extra "i"s instead of "e"s. This makes me read it with a short "fix" sound and a long e as in "weed." I don't know. Maybe that's what you wanted.

"Careful, that may still be wet,” I say without thinking.
“I don’t mind.”I love these two lines.

He takes a while to reply. He doesn’t seem to want to.

“You can handle the stress,” he replies.The repetition of "reply" bugs me. Maybe replace one with "respond," or change the dialogue to something completely different like "mutters."

“Promise me you won’t screw up too bad.” I like this line too.

Beautiful ending.

As for general critiques...I don't have any other than the tense issue. So - Yay! :elephant:

I love your voice in this. The narration is very connected to the dialogue. When I read something from a certain character's POV, sometimes I find that the tone of the MC's dialogue doesn't match with the tone of his narration. But you did a good job with it. You captured my attention for the whole piece (which is hard to do ;) ). You established, developed, and got me attached to your characters all in the first couple of scenes or so. Some short stories take the entire piece to really show the reader who a character is, leaving the reader guessing and confused until the end (that is if the character gets developed by the end). In short, very nicely written. :D
Sorry this review is so multicoloured. :)
Happy writing!
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:26 am
Meep(: says...

Ah, what to say. I enjoyed it.
I've not read the other reviewers' comments, so pardon me if I'm repetitive!
1) From your previous works and this one, I feel that narration i's a strength of yours. The MC had just enough detachment to reflect his relationship with his dad and it breaks down well when he laments not having been closer to his father. The ambivalence and dark humour was a nice touch which made the ending that much more touching. Also, your dialogue managed to carry the story and emotions well enough at parts that you didn't need to pad it with descriptions. Another plus point!
2) One thing I really liked was the MC picturing his dad as a vampire. At first I was rather perplexed at this seemingly out of place inclusion, then I thought about it more and I like how it was rather like macabre humour in relation to the dad selecting his coffin. Great job on that! :D
3) Something negative?
I tend to find it a challenge to critique your works because you're more skilled a writer than I, but I shall try? xD
He straightened it with as much discression as a cheap wig allowed.

"discression" should be 'discretion'.
Aha, so much for critiques.

Oh well, I tried! :D
~ Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya! Here to review as requested:)

I found this story captivating right from the first few paragraphs and I think it was an overall very good read. The story I think has quite a large target audience because I think most people would find it interesting, and it has loads of potential. Right now onto the review?:)

To start with the opening few paragraphs, I think the first paragraph has the potential to be really good but it's lacking in some simple adjectives and adverbs that would really help set the scene- I think it's got a bg potential to be great :) I really like this part:
He came back six hours later

It's really effective. The thing I like about he poening is that it sets the mood and the style of the story :)

Secondly there is a lot of emotional conflict in this story that is really shown between your mail character and his dead. it is really shown through the lengths of your sentances, and the short ones really work in this story. I guess my only critque is that there is nothing actually resolved at the end.

Moving onto the plot. As the plot was quite simple, it was pretty clear and believable. Your main character doesn't really have a clear problem to resolve so perhaps you could work on that? ;) It was quite harfd to determine the time and the place on the story quickly enough even though I felt like carrying on. The story had an interesting start and the end was quite powerful as it really shows the regret left with your main character.

So, one of my main critues is that I didn't really get a feel of the setting, so I'd just say add a tad more description. Also, the lack of names in the story annoyed me because I like knowing names because it helps you know whats going on a bit better. The events of the story and things happen at the right time and place, so well done :)

Another thing I'd say it to describe your MC, because he's a bit one dimensional at the moment. I do however think he is consistant and the emoitions are accurate. And remember, people don't live in a vaccuum, what about his friends, jobs, worries, ambitions. How old is he? The MC didn't really seem to undergo any obvious change throughout the strory. The best part of your characterization was the emoitions conveyed.

The dialogue was very consistant and I could imagine your characters saying those things. I think there was a good amount of dialogue- not too much and not too little, so great! :) You had varies monologue to action in the story.And it's quite easy to sense conflict and attitudes through peoples speech.

I'll leave you at that! Hope the review helped, and keep writing!
-Arc
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom