z

Young Writers Society

Unique

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Everyone seems to have a strong desire tp be unique and nowadays, people are seen to display the most eccentric possible things just to ensure their uniqueness.
I guess I always wanted to be unique too, but that's not a very viable goal when there is another person existing who looks like an exact replica of you. I presume this interest of mine resulted purely from either the current popular trend or probably from the depression I felt when I would realize that although Abby and I are supposed to be like each other- I was more like her unsuccessful shadow.

Abby was better than me at everything that mattered, and not just slightly better- much better! For example, in our last history test the average mark scored was 78 out of 100, where Abby scored 96 and I scored 79.
In gym class, Abby is more like an instructor now than a student since Mrs. Toby keeps asking Abby to help her demonstrate and teach us. Mrs. Toby does make a good decision there as Abby is our school’s junior representative at the ‘National School Fitness Challenge.’ Every school is compelled to enter their three best athletes for every age group. They participate in a range of events and one representative is chosen to enter the competition.
If we consider social matters, Abby is very popular always busy with friends and knows exactly how to impress the teachers and parents. I’m usually the one who sits somewhere in the corner and watches her laugh and enjoy. Once very hour or two, Abby scans around to find me and calls me to join in. I go up to her, stand beside her and within 15 minutes decide to return to my assigned position as back seat audience.
And although everyone says we look alike, I think Abby looks much more beautiful.

You might be thinking that I envy her but I don’t. I just wish I could be a little more special; maybe then people wouldn’t compare us as much and I could be a little more conspicuous. It’s not like I don’t have friends, I do. It’s just that they enjoy spending more time with Abby. But Abby is a very caring sister. She’s my best friend- the one who cares most about me.

I remember the day Abby left for the final rounds of the NSFC. Most of my classmates came to bid Abby goodbye with Mrs. Toby. Although she was smiling the whole time, when she hugged me she started crying. And for some reason, I couldn't control my tears either. Amid all those people we were hugging and crying for about half an hour. We had never been apart before so this seemed like an impossible task. Eventually, the final call for take-off was announced and Abby had to leave.

After arriving home, I felt so desolated. My parents had left for work, and I was the only one left home. I spent quite a few hours looking through our old pictures and recollecting all of our fun memories together.I decided to never complain about anything she did ever again. I'd also decided to be more of an extrovert from then on, Abby always asked me to be so. I played the violin for a while. This seemed to the one thing beside sketching for which I was more special.These are my hobbies.

After a month long wait, Abby was returning home.Although everyone's joy was in welcoming a silver medal champion, I was mainly overjoyed just to have my sister back home. I'd cleaned the whole house, fixing everything just the way Abby likes it - the lavender scent, a slightly cool temperature, a well lit house. I also made a blueberry cheese cake- her favourite dessert, I ordered large cheese pizzas for dinner and bought a recently released action-comedy to watch while we're dining.

Mom was supposed to pick me up on her way to the airport but when the phone rang, it wasn't mom on the other end. A police officer informed me about a slight accident that occured for which mom won't be able to pick me up before she's done with a few legal formalities. I called mom up but her number was out of reach. I called my dad- but because he was busy at work he told me to go with Mrs. Toby. Suddenly I felt so despondent, the worst possible thoughts started innundating my mind. I decided not to let these get to me and took a cab to the airport to avoid anymore dissapointment.

After waiting for what felt like hours at the airport, I eventually fell asleep there on one of the seats. At around 1 a.m., a janitor woke me up asking about my parents. But I didn't bother answering. Iwalked around aimlessly until I noticed the time. I guessed Abby must be home by now. What a messed up day! I ran to a cab and headed home. When I picked up my cell, I saw 37 missed calls- mom, dad, everyone must have been worried about where I am and what I'm doing away from home until now. But I couldn't call anyone though the network signals were too weak.

On reaching home, I noticed a police car outside- are they still busy with their 'legal formalities' over a little accident?! As I entered mom cried out and hugged me as if I had returned as a sole survivor from a ruthless war. She had clearly been crying for hours. Dad didn't look any better, his eyes were red and swollen. I searched around but didn't see Abby. I guess she was tired, probably resting now. I pushed mom aside and ran upstairs but didn't find Abby in her room. My eyes suddenly filled with tears but I tld myself, 'Maybe they postponed the flight.' I turned around and fell to my knees. I didn't want to hear mom, I didn't want to believe her.

Being at your twins funeral must be one of the most heart breaking things possible. For once I felt my urge to be unique had been fulfilled, but I didn't want it. We came to this world together and now she's gone without me. I figuered my parents would have no reason to live if I had jumped off Tonn's Cliff after the funeral, so I didn't. For once I mattered, but I didn't want to. Just my image is enough of a reminder of her. Even months later, I would go over to the airport and wait for her, maybe this is all just a mistake, maybe she is still out there, she will return. But that's just a blatant delusion to keep me going, keep me living.
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 pm
Twit says...

Hai!

This is an interesting theme; it really is "the thing" to be unique in some weird way nowadays. It's like in TV series -- the protagonist has to be a weird anti-social loner with issues.

You handled the pace well; it wasn't too rushed or too slow, and I got a fair sense of your M/C, even though I don't know her name. It'd be nice if that was changed. I like knowing names. :)

The main problem--my overall impression--was the lack of emotion. I mean, it's all about your M/C's emotions. They feel overshadowed by their twin, then the twin dies. It's all about emotion, but there's really not much here at all. You say how the M/C feels, but there's no showing, and showing is so much more powerful. Try and go into detail about everything. There's no description here, and maybe slowing down and describing things would help with showing emotion. Colours, textures, smells and sensations. You need more of those to round your writing out.

I hope this helped! PM me if you have any questions.

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Reviews: 2
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 pm
Muyuka says...

Red:Mistakes
Teal:Corrections
Everyone seems to have a strong desire tp (to) be unique and nowadays, people are seen to display the most eccentric possible things just to ensure their uniqueness.

I guess I always wanted to be unique too, but that's not a very viable goal when there is another person existing who looks like an exact replica of you. I presume this interest of mine resulted purely from either the current popular trend or probably from the depression I felt when I would realize that although Abby and I are supposed to be like each other- I was more like her unsuccessful shadow.

Abby was better than me at everything that mattered, and not just slightly better- much better! For example, in our last history test the average mark scored was 78 out of 100, where Abby scored 96 and I scored 79.

In gym class, Abby is more like an instructor now than a student since Mrs. Toby keeps asking Abby to help her demonstrate and teach us. Mrs. Toby does make a good decision there as Abby is our school’s junior representative at the ‘National School Fitness Challenge.’ Every school is compelled to enter their three best athletes for every age group. They participate in a range of events and one representative is chosen to enter the competition.

If we consider social matters, Abby is very popular always busy with friends and knows exactly how to impress the teachers and parents. I’m usually the one who sits somewhere in the corner and watches her laugh and enjoy. Once very hour or two, Abby scans around to find me and calls me to join in. I go up to her, stand beside her and within 15 minutes decide to return to my assigned position as back seat audience.

And although everyone says we look alike, I think Abby looks much more beautiful.

You might be thinking that I envy her but I don’t. I just wish I could be a little more special; maybe then people wouldn’t compare us as much and I could be a little more conspicuous. It’s not like I don’t have friends, I do. It’s just that they enjoy spending more time with Abby. But Abby is a very caring sister. She’s my best friend- the one who cares most about me.

I remember the day Abby left for the final rounds of the NSFC. Most of my classmates came to bid Abby goodbye with Mrs. Toby. Although she was smiling the whole time, when she hugged me she started crying. And for some reason, I couldn't control my tears either. Amid all those people we were hugging and crying for about half an hour. We had never been apart before so this seemed like an impossible task. Eventually, the final call for take-off was announced and Abby had to leave.

After arriving home, I felt so desolated. My parents had left for work, and I was the only one left home. I spent quite a few hours looking through our old pictures and recollecting all of our fun memories together.I (together. I) decided to never complain about anything she did ever again. I'd also decided to be more of an extrovert from then on, Abby always asked me to be so. I played the violin for a while. This seemed to the one thing beside (besides) sketching for which I was more special.These (special. These) are my hobbies.

After a month long wait, Abby was returning home.Although (home. Although) everyone's joy was in welcoming a silver medal champion, I was mainly overjoyed just to have my sister back home. I'd cleaned the whole house, fixing everything just the way Abby likes it - the lavender scent, a slightly cool temperature, a well lit house. I also made a blueberry cheese cake- her favourite (favorite) dessert, (;) I ordered large cheese pizzas for dinner and bought a recently released action-comedy to watch while we're dining.

Mom was supposed to pick me up on her way to the airport but when the phone rang, it wasn't mom on the other end. A police officer informed me about a slight accident that ocrured (occurred) for which mom won't be able to pick me up before she's done with a few legal formalities. I called mom up but her number was out of reach. I called my dad- but because he was busy at work he told me to go with Mrs. Toby. Suddenly I felt so despondent, the worst possible thoughts started innundating inundating my mind. I decided not to let these get to me and took a cab to the airport to avoid anymore dissapointment (disappointment).

After waiting for what felt like hours at the airport, I eventually fell asleep there on one of the seats. At around 1 a.m., a janitor woke me up asking about my parents. But I didn't bother answering. Iwalked (I walked) around aimlessly until I noticed the time. I guessed Abby must be home by now. What a messed up day! I ran to a cab and headed home. When I picked up my cell, I saw 37 missed calls- mom, dad, everyone must have been worried about where I am and what I'm doing away from home until now. But I couldn't call anyone though the network signals were too weak.

On reaching home, I noticed a police car outside- are they still busy with their 'legal formalities' over a little accident?! As I entered mom cried out and hugged me as if I had returned as a sole survivor from a ruthless war. She had clearly been crying for hours. Dad didn't look any better, (;) his eyes were red and swollen. I searched around but didn't see Abby. I guess she was tired, probably resting now. I pushed mom aside and ran upstairs but didn't find Abby in her room. My eyes suddenly filled with tears but I tld (told) myself, 'Maybe they postponed the flight.' I turned around and fell to my knees. I didn't want to hear mom, I didn't want to believe her.

Being at your twins (twins') funeral must be one of the most heart breaking things possible. For once I felt my urge to be unique had been fulfilled, but I didn't want it. We came to this world together and now she's gone without me. I figuered (figured) my parents would have no reason to live if I had jumped off Tonn's Cliff after the funeral, so I didn't. For once I mattered, but I didn't want to. Just my image is enough of a reminder of her. Even months later, I would go over to the airport and wait for her, maybe this is all just a mistake, maybe she is still out there, she will return. But that's just a blatant delusion to keep me going, keep me living.

Make sure that you always re-read your work. Otherwise, some people might have a tough time figuring out what that word is suppose to mean. Trust me, I know.

Other than those mistakes, I enjoyed the story. Keep up the good work :)

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I tried to review this before but my computer decided to vomit on everything I love and delete my comment.
However, I agree with Twit completely. Your main character needs to show her grief, not just tell us how sad she is. Also, I think that when she sort of reflects on her situation at the end, she seems to cool and calculated. She easily reads and interprets all of her emotions, her grief. But grieving isn't like that-- especially since she's in denial. The whole comment about visiting the airport was lovely-- but only if she actually believes what she does.
I think this whole thing might be more realistic if she's actually trying to convince herself that she's happy; like a mantra, just restating the reasons that this death benefits her. And then have her try to convince herself that her sister is still on some plan, somewhere, strung up in the sky and unable to land.
Besides that, the length was good and the emotions were there, they just didn't touch deep enough.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm
Blues says...

HAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! ^_^ Sorry for the crazy greeting.
Anyway, I'm here to shred review your work!

The Good

1. I really really liked the theme. I love how you carefully made the theme and the moral have a story nicely fit into a story. It was a very clever idea with a lovely meaning and I'll certainly be thinking about that for the rest of the day! :)

2. I also like the plot - Twin one is overshadowed by twin two - twin two goes on competition - legal formalities - she dies. Although it's very short, I can see loads and loads of potential in this.

3. Something about this... I really like it:

Being at your twins funeral must be one of the most heart breaking things possible. For once I felt my urge to be unique had been fulfilled, but I didn't want it. We came to this world together and now she's gone without me. I figuered my parents would have no reason to live if I had jumped off Tonn's Cliff after the funeral, so I didn't. For once I mattered, but I didn't want to. Just my image is enough of a reminder of her. Even months later, I would go over to the airport and wait for her, maybe this is all just a mistake, maybe she is still out there, she will return. But that's just a blatant delusion to keep me going, keep me living.
I don't know. Something I can't quite put my finger on :)

Anyway, I need to stop now and move onto the improvements, the useful bit of the review....

The Improvements
1. It's been said before but... EMOTION!! It's really important. This is obviously a piece that is meant to be quite powerful and thought provoking so we need the emotions. Put yourself in your MC's shoes. What would you do?

2. Dialogue! This seems like a recounting of an event and therefore I really want to be PART of it. I want to know what was said, what she felt, etc. I'm feeling deprived of these things :)

3. Description. It'll be really useful if there was some. I want to know what Abby looks like that makes her so beautiful, what did the wreckage look like, y'know...

And the overall comment
I think you have SOOO much potential in this! I very much agree with the above reviews too. If you improve your work, this'll be great. Now, get improvin' ;) I really really liked it though. The base is there and it's perfect, it's just that you need to develop it... Don't feel shy to post the improvement here on the same thread, you can let me know and I'll tell ya what you think. I do it all the time :)

Keep writing!
Well I'm not really sure what to end with - my official name or what I'm usually called... XD

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:25 pm
davantageous says...

Everyone seems to have a strong desire tobe unique and nowadays, people are seen to display the most eccentric possible things just to ensure their uniqueness.

Abby was better than me at everything that mattered, and not just slightly better- much better! For example, in our last history test, the average mark scored was 78 out of 100, where Abby scored 96 and I scored 79.

After arriving home, I felt so desolated. My parents had left for work, and I was the only one left home. I spent quite a few hours looking through our old pictures and recollecting all of our fun memories together.I decided to never complain about anything she did ever again. I'd also decided to be more of an extrovert from then on, Abby always asked me to be so. I played the violin for a while. This seemed to the one thing beside sketching for which I was more special.These are my hobbies.

After a month long wait, Abby was returning home.Although everyone's joy was in welcoming a silver medal champion, I was mainly overjoyed just to have my sister back home. I'd cleaned the whole house, fixing everything just the way Abby likes it - the lavender scent, a slightly cool temperature, a well lit house. I also made a blueberry cheese cake- her favourite dessert, I ordered large cheese pizzas for dinner and bought a recently released action-comedy to watch while we're dining.

Mom was supposed to pick me up on her way to the airport but when the phone rang, it wasn't mom on the other end. A police officer informed me about a slight accident that occurred for which mom won't be able to pick me up before she's done with a few legal formalities. I called mom up but her number was out of reach. I called my dad- but because he was busy at work he told me to go with Mrs. Toby. Suddenly I felt so despondent, the worst possible thoughts started inundating my mind. I decided not to let these get to me and took a cab to the airport to avoid anymore disappointment.

After waiting for what felt like hours at the airport, I eventually fell asleep there on one of the seats. At around 1 a.m., a janitor woke me up asking about my parents. But I didn't bother answering. I walked around aimlessly until I noticed the time. I guessed Abby must be home by now. What a messed up day! I ran to a cab and headed home. When I picked up my cell, I saw 37 missed calls- mom, dad, everyone must have been worried about where I am and what I'm doing away from home until now. But I couldn't call anyone though the network signals were too weak.

On reaching home, I noticed a police car outside- are they still busy with their 'legal formalities' over a little accident?! As I entered mom cried out and hugged me as if I had returned as a sole survivor from a ruthless war. She had clearly been crying for hours. Dad didn't look any better, his eyes were red and swollen. I searched around but didn't see Abby. I guess she was tired, probably resting now. I pushed mom aside and ran upstairs but didn't find Abby in her room. My eyes suddenly filled with tears but I told myself, 'Maybe they postponed the flight.' I turned around and fell to my knees. I didn't want to hear mom, I didn't want to believe her.

Being at your twins funeral must be one of the most heart breaking things possible. For once I felt my urge to be unique had been fulfilled, but I didn't want it. We came to this world together and now she's gone without me. I figured my parents would have no reason to live if I had jumped off Tonn's Cliff after the funeral, so I didn't. For once I mattered, but I didn't want to. Just my image is enough of a reminder of her. Even months later, I would go over to the airport and wait for her, maybe this is all just a mistake, maybe she is still out there, she will return. But that's just a blatant delusion to keep me going, keep me living.
Davantageous

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand